Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV scheduled viewing and recording not working

(Topic created on: 21-01-2018 05:56 PM)
SBr
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Our scheduled viewing and scheduled recording function on our TV has recently stopped working. You can select these functions and they will show in the scheduler however no notifications are received or recordings started. If you go to the guide or scheduler after the start time of the selected programme the viewing or recording indicator has disappeared.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or able to suggest anything that may help us fix this? 

Thank you.

Go to solution
170 REPLIES 170
DavidR2
Journeyman
Options

I have a Samsung QE85Q60TAUXXU with software version: T-NKLDEUC-2014.1, BT-S

i started an auto tune of channels but cut the power off the TV for two minutes, then did an auto tune of channels again. Now I can set more recordings. HOWEVER, I’ve just done a test to see how many reservations I can have at one time and it appears to be only 26! I’ve spoken to Samsung again and they say it should be 30. Samsung really need to fix this. The amount of reservations should only be limited to the amount of storage you have. Very poor. 

0 Likes
record  issue Reset
First Poster
Options

To fix issue setting then reset TV  to default setting n it reinstall all n recording works 

0 Likes
DavidR2
Journeyman
Options

Resetting you TV doesn’t fix the issue of not being able to record. I have spoken with Samsung about this a few times. The service is appalling. You should be able to make as many recordings as you want as long as programmes don’t clash and you have storage; but instead Samsung limit it for done stupid reason to about 12 scheduled recordings. I feel let down by Samsung, they should tweak this in a firmware update ASAP. 

0 Likes
TVEye
Journeyman
Options

I think everyone's barking up the wrong tree here. It is nothing to do with either the TV's hardware, software or your USB stick; it is all down purely to the failure of the EPG to update. I suspect this is even more likely to happen if you do as I do – view most of your TV via a hard disk recorder (in my case a Humax HDR 2000T) in order to avoid having to use Samsung's horrible, inefficient TV interface. I do have a Freesat dish connected directly to the TV, but this is mainly so that I can record the alternative local news programme for my area and to be able to watch when I am already recording two channels on the Humax and want to watch a third.

I suspected what was happening a while ago, but it was confirmed yesterday, when for the first time ever, I actually received an error message where the recording should have been, saying that the set recording hadn't matched the programme timing.

If those with this problem don't watch via a recorder, perhaps you are turning the TV on for the first time that day after the programme you wished to record has ended. I often (but not always) find that the Samsung version of the EPG shows programmes no more than 24 hours ahead, whereas the Humax one always shows a full week.

I can only suggest you make a point of turning the TV on first thing each morning and leaving it for about ten minutes until it receives the update. Pretty poor though isn't it?

p.s Although I somehow managed it once before, I still can't work out how I customised the EPG on my Q90T. It's certainly not described anywhere in the manual.

TVEye
Journeyman
Options

Sorry to say it, but this isn't actually a solution; far more likely that you were just lucky. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm now almost certain that the problem is all down to the highly erratic updating of Samsung's EPG.

0 Likes
DavidR2
Journeyman
Options

This is NOT the case. Samsung have confirmed that they limit the amount of scheduled recordings  with the excuse that they don’t want too many processes happening. 

0 Likes
Bodgit
Apprentice
Options

I’ve just had this problem with Freesat on a QN95A. Bought around July and was working fine, recently recording failed due lack of program information indicating it’s the EPG info that’s stopping it.

I have had the aerial people round and have been fiddling with stuff.

Anyway, thought I would hook one Sat cable to the Humax freesat box, but there was no signal. Odd. So swapped the cables and both TV and Humax worked. I then put both cables back onto the TV but now opposite way round to before, and recording works!

Go figure.

0 Likes
TVEye
Journeyman
Options

It's difficult to work out what you were doing from a written description, but it sounds to me that your sat cable was going directly into the TV and you were then were taking an out signal to record on your Humax (I'm not sure if you can even do this, but it's all I can think of). By putting your satellite cable into the Humax Freesat recorder first, you are recording via the Humax and getting the benefit of its far superior (and its ad and clutter free) user interface and EPG. In your first set-up you were trying to record via the TV's internal system, which relies on the presence of a large-capacity USB drive. If you didn't insert one it wouldn't record, as it wouldn't even recognise that your Humax box was connected. 

I'm hoping this makes some kind of sense. 😀 I don't know why Samsung bothers to provide a serial record facility if they know that it won't work. It also fails if the programme timings shift even slightly, whereas the Humax system takes this all in its stride.

0 Likes
Bodgit
Apprentice
Options

Nothing so complicated, just two satellite cables going into the TV or Humax box, or one in each.
Whilst recording works, the TV doesn’t stop recording with both satellite cables in. Have now got just one in and retuned, will see if that works better.

0 Likes
TVEye
Journeyman
Options

That's a strange one, and all I can think of is that you're trying to use the TV remote to record instead of the Humax one. It's as if it's somehow triggering the record operation without it actually reading the EPG at all. I would restrict the use of the Samsung remote to simply switching the TV on and off. I have constant pairing problems with the TV and the Humax Freeview recorder, having continually to set up the source again from scratch.

0 Likes