Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV power spike over ethernet connection

(Topic created on: 22-04-2021 09:11 PM)
asdfghj
First Poster
Options

This is regarding UE65RU7100 and it is odd one.

I will try to explain in simple words :winking-face:

My network gear is powered thro UPS from separate IT circuit.

My TV is not powered from UPS.

TV is connected to my ethernet switch (network gear) via cat 5e eth cable.

When I switch on tv my UPS beeps in pattern (signalling that voltage level is not acceptable)

Been thro process of elimination (different cables, switch other devices...) so I know it is the TV

Apart that tv seems to work ok (even network connection).

Shall I add this happen just after the warranty run out?

???

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
asdfghj
First Poster
Options

I cannot delete this answer to post by user Shazzkid so at least I will edit it to preserve history

User Shazzkid posted below (then removed the post):

What do you mean voltage level is not acceptable, is it too high, too low? Do you mean the UPS's surge protection? Do you mean the devices connecting to the UPS are drawing too much power. 

You said TV power spike, but you won't be getting sort of power spikes through an ethernet cable, the wire gauge is far too thin, they carry signal voltages only.

My answer was:

Let me connect my oscilloscope...

What you did read it is all what I know so far.

I posted the question in hope someone had similar experience and maybe solution (not involving buying a new tv)

Spike I mean - there is something wrong going on on the eth cable caused by TV that makes my UPS to generate warning message "Voltage level not acceptable".

"You said TV power spike, but you won't be getting sort of power spikes through an ethernet cable, the wire gauge is far too thin, they carry signal voltages only."  - really? what about POE?  Anyway lets not change the topic to tutorial on how the twisted pair cable works.

I appreciate the reach but do you really have anything to add or you just try cast your expertise in arrogant way.

0 Likes