Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV hijacks right control stick to change volume when in Steam Link app/game since the latest update

(Topic created on: 09-12-2022 12:22 AM)
simonj2
Apprentice
Options

See this Reddit post for more information. When using any of:

- Wired Xbox controller

- Wireless Xbox controller

Logitech F710 controller

With Steam Link on several Samsung TV models (QN65QN85DAFXZA,qe55qn90a), the right control stick now adjusts volume in the app and in-game. This makes Steam Link unplayable for people as the right control stick can't be used without making the TV hit 0 or 100% volume.

It looks like this may be related to the 2111 release, as this was working previously and many users are reporting the same problem now. This originally seemed to be a problem with Steam, but now we realize it may be a problem with Samsung's new software.

PLEASE LIKE AND REPLY TO THIS US FORUM THREAD TOO: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/QLED-and-The-Frame/TV-hijacks-right-control-stick-to-change-volu... 

Samsung US can't read the European forum apparently :facepalm:

130 REPLIES 130
simonj2
Apprentice
Options

Thanks @nestor  - I edited this post to link there and added a reply to your thread too. When I called Samsung US support, they couldn't read this thread either. I had to chromecast to my TV with screen share for them to read it. What a crazy company. 

Samsung US also gave me the same talk about this being escalated to level 2, and eventually to the engineers. I don't think that happened, and our only choice is to keep complaining via Twitter and other methods.

0 Likes
Jjoosten
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem on my 65" Qn90a. Noticed that the TV also captures the B "long press" of the xbox controller. This means that playing a game using long press B will jump out of steam link...

0 Likes
whate
First Poster
Options

Having the same problem. Just making a mark. Pretty sad that just got my controller to play through steam link...

0 Likes
MVS
Apprentice
Options

So many questions, So few answerers.

Why would anyone want to use their game controller to control the TV functions unless they were using it in game? It makes no sense, as to do so would makes the controller useless for gaming. Which in turn makes the feature of using the game controller to control TV functions useless.

Who made this m****** decision?

Why did none of Samsungs software engineers pipe up and tell them just how bad of an idea that is?

Creating this feature to use a connected game controller to control the TV function without any end user ability to turn this feature off breaks the function of another feature (SteamLink) that;

1. Samsungs customers want and have paid for,
  2. Samsung is still using in advertising to sell more of their TVs. (https://www.samsung.com/my/tvs/smart-tv/steam-link/)

By breaking the feature of using a connected controller to play games through the SteamLink app, when their customers have purchased the TV with this feature in mind as a reasons for initially purchasing the TV, then Samsung have made their TVs faulty.

They have not just done this in one country but worldwide.

We (Samsungs customers) are over three (3) months into this fault being forced onto our TVs.

And yet by mid-December Samsung has tried to lay the blame on Valve and also pretend to not know there was a problem when their customers have been posting on official Samsung forums since 2nd December 2022 straight after the update was deployed.  (Search back through this forum for references to this). ( https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/tv-hijacks-right-control-stick-to-change-volume-when-in-steam... )

By mid-January we have seen Samsung support in some countries acknowledging this fault but still with no idea when or even if this will be fixed. Now in mid-February this continues to be the case.

(https://twitter.com/SamsungUK/status/1612852137243074564?s=20&t=kvqcsp6bKXGJtw9fSNzNTA)

I am not a software engineer, and my programming skills are somewhat lacking but and it seems to me that this should be reasonably easy fix for the Software engineer/s who were responsible for writing the update.  Removing the feature of using a connected game controller to control TV functions out of the update and re-deploy it as a new update seems simple?

The fact that nothing has been done seems to be pointing to a lack of care on Samsungs part. While Samsung can’t ignore the fault anymore, it also doesn’t sound like they are aren’t really that engaged in fixing the fault either.

If I’m wrong and Samsung are actively fixing the fault with the Tizen software, then they need to communicate to those of us who’s TVs they have broken.

Give us a timeframe Samsung for when this fault will be fixed? Or should those of us with TVs still under warranty, return our now faulty TVs (depending on your countries consumer laws) and get our money back?

meireles29
Student
Options

One more victim myself.
I use a QE55Q7 v2111  + steamLink app + XBox Wireless Controller

I believe it's obvious for everyone including Samsung that's a bug, not a feature. I understand that can take a while to develop a well designed solution to cover gamepad functionalities both in game and TV, but as this is affecting everyone, shouldn't be a priority to publish a bug correction even if in the first attempt just to disabled the new bugged feature (version 2111.1 - Optimizations related to using gamepads) asap?
I know the focus is to develop new things for new models, but right now you're pissing off many of us that will probably not buy another samsung tv in a while.

0 Likes
MVS
Apprentice
Options

It is a feature they added. It's not a bug. Programming bugs don't come with instructions on how to use them.

If you Check your TVs  e-manual you'll find the evidence for this.

for quick reference see TVFF LVCKs earlier post.

First Poster
OPTIONS
TV

If you need any additional confirmation. Whoever thought this was a good idea, it’s not. 

MVS_0-1676413781641.jpeg

0 Likes
meireles29
Student
Options

If the new feature to control the TV with the gamepad breaks the use of a gamepad to play games, it's a new feature with a bug.

Junky
First Poster
Options

This really sucks... It's been a long time, either revert the change or have options to disable this function...

fiNterp
Student
Options

I had a little chat with the german support of Samsung and this is their answer:

"The problem is already known internally and has been reported. The bug has to be solved by the developers of the Xbox and the Steam Link app, since the effect only occurs with them. When exactly an update will come, I cannot say at the moment. In the meantime, please update the firmware of your game controller on the associated game console or by connecting it to a computer. What I can offer you as a temporary solution is to connect the game controller to your SmartTV via USB. Please keep me informed if the error continues to occur."

0 Likes
MajkelSan
Apprentice
Options

That's bullsh*t, I'm actually having this issue with the controllers connected via USB to the TV...