Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off Subtitles on UN43NU6950B TV

(Topic created on: 06-07-2020 10:39 PM)
claytoncarney
Apprentice
Options

I have a library of video files on a USB hard drive. They are all MKV format, with internal SRT subtitles. My UN43NU6950B TV displays the subtitles by default. However, sometimes I want to turn the subtitles off.

I can not find an option to turn subtitles off. I've seen numerous references online suggesting to turn off Captions in the Assessibility settings. That does not work.

Any one know how to turn off subtitles on the UN43NU6950B TV???

12 REPLIES 12
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If there is no separate. SRT file, these hardcoded subtitles cannot be removed regardless of whether it's a TV or a PC
0 Likes
claytoncarney
Apprentice
Options

Just to clarify. These are not hardcoded subtitles. The MKV container holds the video, audio, and subtitles as separate files. On other TVs it's possible to turn subtitles off. It is also possible to turn them off using VLC Player on a PC.

I just can't find a way to turn them off on my Samsung TV.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I understand. I don't have that model TV but can do it on mine by starting up the movie, accessing the menu at the top where ffw is and selecting options which is where I can turn subtitles off. Don't know if yours is the same.
claytoncarney
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Pugs1957.

Your reply lead me to the answer. On my TV the menu is on the bottom and only appears for a second. There is a gear icon, which I assumed was for settings; turns out that it is for options. Voila, there's the subtitle selection.

No mention at all of this in the manual. Samsung's user interface is definitely not intuitive to me.

selmernoid
First Poster
Options
Also, does there an option to make such behavior by default? It is so annoying to turn off subtitles for each video.
TikvaNZ
First Poster
Options

I completely agree!  I purchased my first Samsung tv last week, and am quite disappointed that I cannot turn them off for all files viewed/watched from USB at once, rather than having to turn them off on each individual file.  Samsung really need to address this annoyance!

sdlonner
Student
Options

Download a program called handbrake from this site: https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/remove-subtitles-from-video.html#:~:text=Step%201....

This did the trick for me but I'm disappointed that my Samsung TV is unable to do it. I can't play avi. files either.

0 Likes
ShaneTucker
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the advice Pugs1957 and claytoncareny. I too looked in the manuals for my QE43LS03T frame TV and there was nothing about disabling embedded subtitles within files played from DNLA/NAS devices... I searched every menu but nothing worked.. Didn't notice the pop up settings when using the transport controls on a playing file.... 

0 Likes
allpurposeadi
First Poster
Options
I purchased my Samsung 43inch MODEL AU 8000KXXU screen tv last week and cannot turn off the subtitles or the voice guide
Once I press the button it jumps up and down turning the other buttons on or off
I can't turn off all of them
Can you please help
0 Likes