Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Turn Off Screen With Alexa Command

(Topic created on: 14-03-2024 08:37 AM)
RBZ5416
Explorer
Options

I have an S90C with Alexa.

If I ask Alexa to play a radio station, it's disappointing to see the station ident permanently burning into the screen. I would have expected it to at the very least dim very low, if not revert to screen saver, but it does neither.

Is there an Alexa command to turn the screen off, or at least deploy the screen saver?

7 REPLIES 7
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, this is something to do with alexa/amazon, not samsung. But as far as im aware there is not a routine for this.
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Manually in the swtting you can turn off the screen. But being and OLED it usally dims right down
0 Likes
RBZ5416
Explorer
Options

It's a Samsung approved app running on a Samsung TV. To suggest it's nothing to do with Samsung is plain daft.

0 Likes
RBZ5416
Explorer
Options

In a typical Samsung stroke of genius, the Settings menu is unavailable when Alexa is displaying something. Sadly as stated in the OP, the screen doesn't dim nor does the screensaver kick in.

0 Likes
Solution
RBZ5416
Explorer
Options

Good news!

I checked the software version today, despite it being set to auto-update. The TV found nothing but suggested looking at the web site. There I found an update 1402.5 dated 5th March. so downloaded that (1.6GB!), extracted to a USB drive & plugged it into the TV. On start the TV automatically detected the update & installed it.

Both issues are now fixed. When Alexa is displaying the TV's screensaver kicks in after a minute & the settings menu is now available.

No idea why this update wasn't picked up by auto-update though, unless it needs a USB drive to download to. The stick I had connected was only a 1GB, so wouldn't have had space for a 1.6GB download. But I'd would expect some kind of notification that there was a problem? Also a little disappointing that there was no changelog included.

Needless to say, the download page is now bookmarked & will be checked regularly going forward.

0 Likes
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Also hosted and owned by ALEXA.😅
0 Likes
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Ah finally done the sensible thing😅
0 Likes