Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Tuner will not pick up any TV channels

(Topic created on: 22-03-2022 10:07 PM)
AmyGuildford
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I bought a new TV a few months ago, and set up the apps and wifi to work, but couldn’t get the terrestrial/Freeview TV to work. It is just finding 128 Samsung channels, 0 digital TV channels, 0 radio etc.

It is a UE32T5300CKXXU

The manual tune option is greyed out. I have run autotune about 30 times predominately with the settings as a terrestrial aerial and digital channel type, but I have tried all variations. I have a wall aerial, but I assumed it was broken (new house!) but having bought another aerial it is still doing exactly the same thing - 0 channels. 

I have tried a force reset of the TV and it is still finding nothing. 
We are 1.1 miles or so from the nearest broadcasting tower. 
What can I try next
Thanks for reading

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Sir-BoBaLoT
First Poster
Options

Couple of things to check before you blame the TV.

you say "New House"... Is there a Signal Booster/Splitter installed in the house? most boosters and splitters are powered.

Have you tried another TV on the same ariel point? Do you get the same results?

Do you have another Ariel point in the house you could try?

This is just process of elimination. 

Good luck

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @AmyGuildford 

Check if there are any problems with Freeview in your area https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview  other   options are to try the Automatic scan  again. Some customers have found that scanning after removing the aerial and then reinserting provides a solution when channels are missing and you manual tune may be accessible.   In other words scan with the aerial removed when obviously no channels will be found, however this can reinsert the connection.  You would then need to scan with the aerial connected again and see if this makes a difference.

However there is the possibility that there is some issue with the aerial. some good advice re Booster and other points by @Sir-BoBaLoT  See some more information here https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/reception-picture-and-channels-troubleshooting-guide 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
This definitely sounds like an antenna issue like most others have stated.
The purchase of a new aerial? Was that a new external one? Or a temporary indoor one? If it's indoor, then you're no better off. You'll require an antenna thats DVB capable and depending upon signal and "aerial cable length " plus if it serves any other sets in the house, a mains signal booster.
0 Likes
AmyGuildford
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately the only other TV (living room) is wall mounted and too big for me to get down by myself. It’s also hooked into virgin cable and given how incapable I seem to be with this aerial issue I m nervous of retuning it and losing the channels on that one too!

It is a new house to us, but the house itself is 1930s. The extension the TV is going in is however 15 years old. 
should I be looking for a splitter somewhere? 
the new aerial I bought is an indoor one, the one4all SV9436 amplified HDTV indoor aerial. It has a range of 15 miles from a tower nd we are just over 1m and tower I functioning perfectly. 
If it were poor reception would we not find channels but not many or not clearly? At the moment it is literally not finding anything. 
I don’t think we have any other aerial points, but I will have a look. 

Thanks

0 Likes
AmyGuildford
Journeyman
Options

Hi, it’s indoor, but given the short distance to the functioning tower surely it should work? I bought the one4all sv9436, which was marketed as working within 15 miles of a tower. 
also, would I not at least get some channels with poor reception rather than absolutely zero? Or does it not work like that?

Thanks

0 Likes
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
Digital reception works far differently than traditional analogue. The structure of a building can affect where or if an internal reception can be had. With Digital you either "get it, or you don't ". There's no half measures unfortunately. Continue resolving the external antenna and cabling issues :smiling-face:
AmyGuildford
Journeyman
Options

Thank you. I did manage to figure out that plugged into an aerial I found in another room the TV worked perfectly, so it is the aerial in the wall that’s faulty and the indoor aerial I cbought is clearly not good enough. Do you have any recommendations for an easy to attach external aerial? Or is it worth trying to get an electrician (?)  to look at the faulty aerial in the wall?

Thanks

0 Likes
Solution
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
You're welcome, finding the root of the issue although time consuming and at times even frustrating, it saves a lot of extra unnecessary problem. Me, personally, I'd recommend getting a qualified television aerial installer called out. Not only can they ensure the cabling is ok, but also ensure you have a suitable, digital aerial and that it is correctly positioned for optimum reception of as many channels as possible. Using Google and some well known "review sites", you should certainly find a suitable company/professional person to do this. It isn't something I'd recommend you attempt yourself however.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Hi @AmyGuildford At least the issue pinpointed. I agree with @GreyMatter and think the best option is to arrange an inspection from professional installer as they are best placed to solve the issue.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes