Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU7000 HDR on Netflix/Disney+ unwatchably dark

(Topic created on: 18-07-2020 09:48 AM)
ADShaw
Apprentice
Options

So I've had my 43tu7000 for about a month now, and I'm finding more and more of the HDR content on Netflix and Disney+ to be unwatchable.  Whenever there's a dark scene, I can barely make out anything which seems to completely go against the marketing blurb:

"Watch every moment burst from the screen. Discover what’s lurking in the shadows of a horror movie or witness the true beauty of a sun filled landscape scene."

I've tried messing about with all the settings, unfortunately there isn't an option to turn HDR off on this model.  I've tried using the built in apps, the same apps on a FireTV 4k, and an xbox one s.  At the moment the only way to watch a lot of the content is to fall back to my Sky Q Mini box which isn't 4k or HDR and kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 4k HDR TV!

Anyone else noticing issues, or can suggest how to tweak it to get good results?

20 REPLIES 20
freb03
Apprentice
Options

i was looking for an solution with my 50tu7000 because i have the same problem with it. Too bad no one nor samsung has given help. You're the only thread i found on the subject 😞

Khunadam
Student
Options

I have the same problem in TU7000.HDR movies in both Netflix and Apple TV are too dark.

But I have no issue in my other cheaper TCL TV. So I will not recommend my friend to buy TU7000 any more. Make sue test all function in Samsung TV before buy it at the shop.

scchipli
Explorer
Options

4K HDR10+ Disney+4K HDR10+ Disney+

HD PlexHD Plex

Very dark pictures from a 4K source (Disney+, Amazon Prime). 4K content from YouTube is fine as is all HD content from any source. TV is the TU7000.

Not impressed. Had to buy a standard Fire Stick to watch Disney+ in HD as that was the only way to actually see the picture!

Ric09
Apprentice
Options

@ADShaw wrote:

So I've had my 43tu7000 for about a month now, and I'm finding more and more of the HDR content on Netflix and Disney+ to be unwatchable.  Whenever there's a dark scene, I can barely make out anything which seems to completely go against the marketing blurb:

"Watch every moment burst from the screen. Discover what’s lurking in the shadows of a horror movie or witness the true beauty of a sun filled landscape scene."

I've tried messing about with all the settings, unfortunately there isn't an option to turn HDR off on this model.  I've tried using the built in apps, the same apps on a FireTV 4k, and an xbox one s.  At the moment the only way to watch a lot of the content is to fall back to my Sky Q Mini box which isn't 4k or HDR and kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 4k HDR TV!

Anyone else noticing issues, or can suggest how to tweak it to get good results?

Yes having the exact same issue with 75" model. Had it less than 2 weeks. This evening my 5 Yr old son walked out of the room whilst a movie was on because it was so bad. Its great for bright scenes but literally unwatchable during dark scenes.

Have you found any other solution other than not watching in 4k UHD? I tried adjusting app settings on disney plus to just HD but it stills has hdr10 so darks scenes are still unbearable. Same on apple tv app on TV. Like u say... Rather not have the 4k hdr cos its pointless. 

ADShaw
Apprentice
Options

I eventually did manage to find something to make it reasonably acceptable, but its still far from perfect.  You need to search for a video on YouTube called "Fix Auto Dimming for Samsung TV's".  It does involve delving into the hidden setup menus in the TV however, and you'll need to be carefull not to change the wrong thing.  But it's basically some settings called PWM that set how dark the screen goes when it detects a mostly black scene.  To access the menu on the TU7000 I think you turn off the TV, then press info, settings,mute and power on the remote.  It'll reboot and you'll have the hidden menus in screen.  Follow the instructions in the video.  I think I set then values to 85 rather than 100, and combined with turning "Shadow detail" up to 3 in the normal TV menus it's ok now.  When you've made the changes power the TV back off and on.  This seems to reset most of the TV settings as well so you need to go back and turn off auto dimming etc if you'd done that before.

Hope this helps

Ric09
Apprentice
Options

Hey thanks so much. It's definitely worth a try as so far my viewing experiences have been very disappointing. The reflective screen doesn't help but I can live with that provided I can see what's actually supposed to be on it

0 Likes
Juancamilo212
Apprentice
Options

Its true too dark, imposible to watch tv on This samsung tu 7000, i dont recommended if some knows how to fix it pleas tell us 

Khunadam
Student
Options

27 July 2020,I still have an issue of HDR movies are too dark in Samsung TU7000. I’m waiting new firmware to fix the issue.

Hope it will be deployed soon.

scchipli
Explorer
Options

@Khunadam have you heard anything about Samsung addressing this issue with a firmware update? The moderators seem to stay away from any of these HDR discussions, almost like they don’t want to get involved!

0 Likes