Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Shift Auto Start

(Topic created on: 14-08-2022 01:11 PM)
Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

I just bought a Samsung Q60A and am very disappointed to find that the time shift function has to be manually started every time you change the channel. This makes it virtually unusable. Could Samsung release an update that provides an auto start for the time shift function? It's really unacceptable. I just sent back a cheaper LG tv that had auto start on the time shift, so I can't see why Samsung can't offer it on this model.

17 REPLIES 17
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Simon_Matthews 

That's not what we like to hear! Could we take the full model code and current software version of your TV? Go to Home > Settings > Support > About This TV.

0 Likes
Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

Hi Chris, thanks for replying! Here's the info you requested:

Model Code: QE50Q60AAUXXU

Software Version: T-NKLADEUC-2001.4, BT - S

Thanks!

0 Likes
Elvis67
Explorer
Options

I have a UE50TU8500 and it's the same on mine.

I have found that if you press the play button on the remote control when watching TV it enables the timeshift but if you press the guide button or open one of the apps it disables the timeshift and you have to enable it again when switching back to the watching TV.

I have asked a Samsung rep via live chat who informed me that timeshift cannot be auto enabled.

It's absolutely absurd and a backwards step it does not auto enable. One of the reasons I got a new TV was to stop using a Humax Freeview box for timeshift and recording. Unfortunately I only use the Humax box for watching TV and apps, the TV is nothing more than a glorified monitor!

Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

The problem with pressing the play button on the Q60A is that it comes with two remote controls, a large one without a mic and a smaller one with a mic. I'd prefer to use the small one because I use the mic, and then the large one can be put away as I don't want my table full of remote controls. But the small one doesn't have a dedicated play button, it only has a pause/play button. So to enable time shift you have to pause the program and then restart it. Having to pause the program every time you change the channel is ridiculous.

For the Samsung rep to say time shift cannot be auto enabled is nonsense. All it would take is a bit of coding to update the software, or it might take a complete rewrite of the software, which for a professional coder is not that big a deal - it should be a simple bit of coding.

Not being able to open the TV guide without stopping the time shift is also ridiculous. I often like to browse the guide during the adverts to see what's on later. Again, correctly coded software could solve this issue. The LG UP81006 I just sent back had auto time shift and you could browse the TV guide without stopping it. That TV actually cost less than the Samsung, so I've made a grave error.

I also chose this particular model to stop using my Humax box, but unfortunately it's not usable. Not a happy bunny.

Elvis67
Explorer
Options

I was also looking forward to not having the large Humax remote control laying about. I don't use the small smart remote control. There's to many button presses for simple actions. I do understand why other people use it for the voice commands.

I also like to browse the guide during the adverts. Another annoyance is the home menu popping up at the bottom of the screen when exiting out of the guide, apps and inputs and then having to close that. Just to open and close the guide takes me pressing the guide button, stopping timeshift, pressing the exit button to close the guide, pressing exit again to remove the home menu and pressing play to manually enable timeshift. 

My dad is elderly and lives in assisted living building. He and some of the residents asked me if my TV is good. It's because of the reasons above I have told them to avoid Samsung as all the extra steps and button presses would be confusing for them. I will also be trying a TV from another manufacturer for my next TV.

Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

I totally agree. The amount of button presses required to perform simple actions is absurd. And the fact you have to lose any live recordings if you want to browse the TV guide is mind blowing. This could all be solved with a bit of coding. I'm a hobby coder myself so I know how simple it would be, especially for a professional coder. They could fix this in under a week.

0 Likes
sirdaz
Student
Options

Same issue on my new Samsung The Sero - very disappointing. 

If I miss something and want to rewind, I can't - unless I've had a psychic moment and activated Timeshift manually a few seconds before! 

Older Samsung TV's run the PVR constantly, why not now ? 

Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I sent you the details you requested several days ago. I'm about to purchase an LG and return the Samsung since there seems to be no resolution to this matter. It really is a deal breaker.

0 Likes
Simon_Matthews
Journeyman
Options

UPDATE 18/08/2022:

Good news! Time Shift has suddenly started working automatically on my Samsung Q60A. I was not aware of any software update but it's definitely working.

The TV guide still cannot be accessed when Time Shift is enabled, although the channel list can be accessed, which tells you what is currently on TV.

If the channel list could be updated to include Now and Next, that would be great. The ability to at least browse what is on next is pretty essential.

I will also add that the LG also allowed you to open the browser whilst continuing to record the TV, so it was possible to use an online TV guide without losing your program. I hope Samsung will make this possible for their TVs too. It's just a piece of code that tells the recorder to record what is coming through the TV cable, regardless of what app is being used on the screen at the time. It doesn't record the screen, it records the signal coming through the cable so it should be possible since the signal doesn't stop when you open an app.

Good news about the Time Shift auto-start though at least!

0 Likes