cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 30-01-2019 11:57 AM)
AntS
Options

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Cammy, that’s interesting.

How big a memory and are you suggesting the Q9 formats the drive?

how do you target the USB drive for recording.

i have two sat boxes. Humax with a hard drive and a Strong without a hard disc.

thanks

0 Likes
Cammytkd
Apprentice
Options

Hello Gfplux,

I am using two 256gb drives but these days, most systems should accept an external Hard Drive - so there shouldn't be a limit to what you can hook up.

Once the my USB's are plugged in - you can choose which to record to and have options for scheduled and repeat recordings.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options

Thank you Cammy. Food for thought. Are they ready to use when you buy them?

0 Likes
Cammytkd
Apprentice
Options
Depends on the USB drive - if its compatible then you can use out of the box.
Or if its an old drive, then a format will delete the drive and prepare it for use to record onto.
Maybe try it first with a spare usb drive before going out and purchasing a new one.
tranx
Pioneer
Options

Model QE65Q9FNATXXU - 6 months old in UK

As someone else also noted much earlier, it was only in the first two weeks that we had any success with recording programmes which had been scheduled  from the EPG.

Manual recording has always worked fine to two different hard drives with independent power supplies, and to a 32GB USB memory stick, and with both the Terrestrial and the Satellite tuners, but scheduled programmes using the EPG  have since always fail to record.

Before, for over 4 years, and in spite of much bother over it, we had the same trouble with the F8000 but Samsung was never able to fix the issue, or even to recognise that there was a problem. This time on a trial phone call to Samsung CS there was even some suggestion that it was the responsibility of the (non-'Freesat') EPG provider, but I think that is also associated with Samsung...

With the same Dish and Aerial our Sat and Terrestrial PVRs record flawlessly so clearly there is a fault with the QE9, but I really don't want to go through all that again and Samsung appears so far to have got away with it yet again.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tranx wrote:

Model QE65Q9FNATXXU - 6 months old in UK

As someone else also noted much earlier, it was only in the first two weeks that we had any success with recording programmes which had been scheduled  from the EPG.

Manual recording has always worked fine to two different hard drives with independent power supplies, and to a 32GB USB memory stick, and with both the Terrestrial and the Satellite tuners, but scheduled programmes using the EPG  have since always fail to record.

Before, for over 4 years, and in spite of much bother over it, we had the same trouble with the F8000 but Samsung was never able to fix the issue, or even to recognise that there was a problem. This time on a trial phone call to Samsung CS there was even some suggestion that it was the responsibility of the (non-'Freesat') EPG provider, but I think that is also associated with Samsung...

With the same Dish and Aerial our Sat and Terrestrial PVRs record flawlessly so clearly there is a fault with the QE9, but I really don't want to go through all that again and Samsung appears so far to have got away with it yet again.

Know issue which Samsung have admitted toon the recording issues thread. 

0 Likes
tranx
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277that's very interesting to hear that Samsung has acknowledged a problem with recording.

I have looked for such a post but not found it yet - would you kindly provide a link?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tranx wrote:

@paul1277that's very interesting to hear that Samsung has acknowledged a problem with recording.

I have looked for such a post but not found it yet - would you kindly provide a link?

It was one of the moderators here @AntS who posted the information. 

0 Likes
tranx
Pioneer
Options
tranx
Pioneer
Options

Re. the solution to scheduled programme recordings which was posted "...I re-tuned the TV manually – not automatically (under broadcasting , then expert settings). There are 7 or 8 blocks of channels and you “accept” each block that is shown in turn..."

Unfortunately this setting is greyed-out on our QE65Q9FN, but apparently Samsung has acknowledged the fault affecting 'some customers' and aims to do something about it

0 Likes