Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 07/06/18 12:40)
AntS
Options
TV

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
endpoint101
Navigator
Options
TV

One thing I've just discovered on my Q9FN are the hidden buttons to control the TV if you've misplaced the remote!

https://youtu.be/RAVNeKFfY3M

Secret buttons! :)Secret buttons! :smiling-face:

endpoint101
Navigator
Options
TV

Another feature I really like is the Steam Link app, which is a free app for the Samsung TV.. just plug in a couple of Xbox 360 controllers (or similar) and you can stream games from your PC to the TV really easily. Works great for games like Stick Fight. It's very responsive.. I don't notice any lag, although I do have a wired connection to the One Connect box.

There's a video here on how to set it up & showing it working with Just Cause 3;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NqJ4iWzvYM

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

I am a newby here so please be gentle. I am in Luxembourg.

After ten years we have just (4 days ago) replaced our “old” Samsung LE46A656 with a QW55Q9FNALXXN

So imagine this, we have moved from the Stone Age to the Iron Age.

In choosing the new TV we wanted a “smart” WiFi TV but the thin cable (input and power) and the one box and the idea of the one remote sold the TV to me.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Set up was very simple and I am now VERY slowly learning about it.

Unlike so many on here I am no TV tecky so please forgive any silly or just plain stupid questions.

I have two sat boxes connected to a dish in the garden. The boxes are a HUMAX with freesat and a hard disc for UK TV and a STRONG SRT 7404 with a decoding card for French TV.

The HUMAX was easily recognised by the TV and works easily with the one remote.

The Strong was NOT recognised and I had to add it manually. HOWEVER it is not working as it should. It will not change channels or respond in any way to the one remote. It also completely ignores the original remote for this box. I am not in too much trouble (with my wife) as the box is stuck on channel 2 which is France2 her favourite channel. However I would like to get it sorted.

My possible solutions are buy a new French box which would be silly.

Update the box software over Satelite but surely it is up to date as it was working perfectly at Christmas connected to the old TV. In fact how do I update it as I can not get it to respond and show me an on screen menu.

any suggestions happily received.

thank you.

PS love the picture. Have not changed any settings as happy with it as it is.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

@Gfplux wrote:

Set up was very simple and I am now VERY slowly learning about it.

Unlike so many on here I am no TV tecky so please forgive any silly or just plain stupid questions.

I have two sat boxes connected to a dish in the garden. The boxes are a HUMAX with freesat and a hard disc for UK TV and a STRONG SRT 7404 with a decoding card for French TV.

The HUMAX was easily recognised by the TV and works easily with the one remote.

The Strong was NOT recognised and I had to add it manually. HOWEVER it is not working as it should. It will not change channels or respond in any way to the one remote. It also completely ignores the original remote for this box. I am not in too much trouble (with my wife) as the box is stuck on channel 2 which is France2 her favourite channel. However I would like to get it sorted.

My possible solutions are buy a new French box which would be silly.

Update the box software over Satelite but surely it is up to date as it was working perfectly at Christmas connected to the old TV. In fact how do I update it as I can not get it to respond and show me an on screen menu.

any suggestions happily received.

thank you.

PS love the picture. Have not changed any settings as happy with it as it is.

Why not just use the remote that came with the French box? 

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Hello Paul1277,

interesting point. Forgive the newby but...... Do you mean “unlink” it from the TV’s on screen menu and try and use it as a stand alone box with its own remote.

That is a Good possible solution but of course loses the beauty of oneremote being one remote. 

But still a good point. I will try it. Thank you.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

@Gfplux wrote:

Hello Paul1277,

interesting point. Forgive the newby but...... Do you mean “unlink” it from the TV’s on screen menu and try and use it as a stand alone box with its own remote.

That is a Good possible solution but of course loses the beauty of oneremote being one remote. 

But still a good point. I will try it. Thank you.

The one remote is good but not perfect,  and some things do not work with it. If the existing remote works then i would suggest just use that.  I don't think you need to unlink. 

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Hello Paul,

UPDATE

I have been in touch by email with Strong Switzerland and France. They don’t have an answer.

so this is where I am.

Loving the TV as after all it is just a TV.  Great picture and still a Virgin TV as all settings are as it came out of the box.

The HUMAX box connected to UK Satalite still working perfectly.

The Strong box is what it is. It works as it relays French, German Stations to the TV. It still will not change channels but that is OK. It will switch on using the original remote but will not switch off with the remote. I have to press the on/off switch.

Do I care......No.

I am happy with my new TV. I am happy with the one remote,  I love the one box.

So I am a happy bunny.

We have new furniture due soon so very happy all the boxes will disappear.

And MOST IMPORTANT the €400 rebate from Samsung just landed in my account.

0 Likes
blackvikin
Apprentice
Options
TV

It's near impossible to get these Samsung's QLED Tv to schedule programme viewing or schedule recording. Even the Samsung Support team or no help apart from admitting there's a problem so if you love recorded Tv then I wouldn't recommend buying one until they fix the problem instead of misleading people when one contacts customer support.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

@blackvikin wrote:

It's near impossible to get these Samsung's QLED Tv to schedule programme viewing or schedule recording. Even the Samsung Support team or no help apart from admitting there's a problem so if you love recorded Tv then I wouldn't recommend buying one until they fix the problem instead of misleading people when one contacts customer support.

I had the same problem with the 65ks9500, then Samsung exchanged that for the 65Q9F same problem (and dull picture) got a full refund froM Samsung CEO UK. Below is a link to the page where I have posted the emails from Samsung UK CEO admitting they have a problem with scheduled recording and it is nothing to do with USB drives. They could not fix it and in the end they gave me a refund.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358805/highlight/false/page...

If you or anyone else has the same problem then you can use the Which tool to try to get a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/

The fault normally shows itself after about 2 weeks and stops recording scheduled programs. As I said Samsung know its a fault but their customer services will never admit it! Their CEO did! Therefore under consumer law you can show it was a fault from when you bought it and also show that Samsung can not fix it. Therefore you are entitled to a full refund even if it is out of warrenty. If you have 5-year warranty then fill your boots.

Cammytkd
First Poster
Options
TV

Have you plugged a USB drive into your TV? 

And formatted the drive?

I have used a few Samsung TV (and latest is Q9) and each time plugging a USB drive has been simple and readily available to record off the TV.

Cammytkd

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Cammy, that’s interesting.

How big a memory and are you suggesting the Q9 formats the drive?

how do you target the USB drive for recording.

i have two sat boxes. Humax with a hard drive and a Strong without a hard disc.

thanks

0 Likes
Cammytkd
First Poster
Options
TV

Hello Gfplux,

I am using two 256gb drives but these days, most systems should accept an external Hard Drive - so there shouldn't be a limit to what you can hook up.

Once the my USB's are plugged in - you can choose which to record to and have options for scheduled and repeat recordings.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Thank you Cammy. Food for thought. Are they ready to use when you buy them?

0 Likes
Cammytkd
First Poster
Options
TV
Depends on the USB drive - if its compatible then you can use out of the box.
Or if its an old drive, then a format will delete the drive and prepare it for use to record onto.
Maybe try it first with a spare usb drive before going out and purchasing a new one.
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV

Model QE65Q9FNATXXU - 6 months old in UK

As someone else also noted much earlier, it was only in the first two weeks that we had any success with recording programmes which had been scheduled  from the EPG.

Manual recording has always worked fine to two different hard drives with independent power supplies, and to a 32GB USB memory stick, and with both the Terrestrial and the Satellite tuners, but scheduled programmes using the EPG  have since always fail to record.

Before, for over 4 years, and in spite of much bother over it, we had the same trouble with the F8000 but Samsung was never able to fix the issue, or even to recognise that there was a problem. This time on a trial phone call to Samsung CS there was even some suggestion that it was the responsibility of the (non-'Freesat') EPG provider, but I think that is also associated with Samsung...

With the same Dish and Aerial our Sat and Terrestrial PVRs record flawlessly so clearly there is a fault with the QE9, but I really don't want to go through all that again and Samsung appears so far to have got away with it yet again.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

@tranx wrote:

Model QE65Q9FNATXXU - 6 months old in UK

As someone else also noted much earlier, it was only in the first two weeks that we had any success with recording programmes which had been scheduled  from the EPG.

Manual recording has always worked fine to two different hard drives with independent power supplies, and to a 32GB USB memory stick, and with both the Terrestrial and the Satellite tuners, but scheduled programmes using the EPG  have since always fail to record.

Before, for over 4 years, and in spite of much bother over it, we had the same trouble with the F8000 but Samsung was never able to fix the issue, or even to recognise that there was a problem. This time on a trial phone call to Samsung CS there was even some suggestion that it was the responsibility of the (non-'Freesat') EPG provider, but I think that is also associated with Samsung...

With the same Dish and Aerial our Sat and Terrestrial PVRs record flawlessly so clearly there is a fault with the QE9, but I really don't want to go through all that again and Samsung appears so far to have got away with it yet again.

Know issue which Samsung have admitted toon the recording issues thread. 

0 Likes
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV

@paul1277that's very interesting to hear that Samsung has acknowledged a problem with recording.

I have looked for such a post but not found it yet - would you kindly provide a link?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

@tranx wrote:

@paul1277that's very interesting to hear that Samsung has acknowledged a problem with recording.

I have looked for such a post but not found it yet - would you kindly provide a link?

It was one of the moderators here @AntS who posted the information. 

0 Likes
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV

Re. the solution to scheduled programme recordings which was posted "...I re-tuned the TV manually – not automatically (under broadcasting , then expert settings). There are 7 or 8 blocks of channels and you “accept” each block that is shown in turn..."

Unfortunately this setting is greyed-out on our QE65Q9FN, but apparently Samsung has acknowledged the fault affecting 'some customers' and aims to do something about it

0 Likes