Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Thoughts on the new 2018 QLED TV?

(Topic created on: 30/04/19 10:17)
AntS
Options
TV

I had the opportunity to learn more about and see the insides of one these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/highlights/ at one of the Samsung factories the other week. (The whole factory visit was genuinely a fascinating experience.) I spent much of the time feeling wowed – but then again I still vividly remember CRT tellies and that noise they made when they were turned on...

Anyone else seen one of the 2018 QLED’s in person? And any thoughts on features like Ambient Mode, the Near-Invisible cable, One Remote Control , SmartThings connectivity etc?

115 REPLIES 115
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV
I just bought the Q9F. Now its just waiting until it gets delivered ^-^
Bobby76
Explorer
Options
TV

Exciting isn't it! In some other posts I've shared all my settings for picture and what equipment I've got, you might find it interesting if you want to try different settings once it arrives.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Thank you Bobby and Tranx being so kind and explaining this all to a newby.

The HUMAX box set up is exactly as you describe. Sat cable from wall to Sat Box and HDMI cable to the one box of the Samsung TV.

I am intringued about the EPG. I USE the one “on the screen” but frankly don’t know where it comes from. I have a +20 year old sky box in another room (my office (man cave)) that has a similar EPG but perhaps not exactly the same visually but close.

We also have a French sat box STRONG without a hard disc. It has a dreadful EPG. Which tells me as I write this that the EPG is generated by STRONG and not SAMSUNG (Perhaps)

Is it possible to identify the EPG in any way. Is there a way of importing/using different EPG?

Perhaps this is a little off SAMSUNG topic?

However thank you.

0 Likes
Bobby76
Explorer
Options
TV

Hi Gfplux, no problem, you are welcome.

The following link is an article that contains a picture of the Samsung EPG:

Www.komputerswiat.pl/recenzje/sprzet/telewizory/samsung-qled-tv-z-topowej-serii-q9f-testowalismy-wer...

The article in the link is irrelevant, it is the only image of an epg that i could find and i cant upliad a picture from my tablet at the moment.

Humax EPGs tend to be more primarily black with pale text.

Does that help?

0 Likes
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV

P1000776.JPGP1000770.JPG

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

40F00C55-F607-450D-84E2-36A2DE7DA45E.jpeg

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Good morning all, thanks for the EPG photos.

The photo I have posted (above) is my EPG from my HUMAX, I think.

As you can see It is recording match of the day this Sunday morning on BBC1.

It looks somewhat different to the HUMAX photo posted!

Strange or not?

0 Likes
tranx
Navigator
Options
TV

@Gfplux wrote:

Good morning all, thanks for the EPG photos.

The photo I have posted (above) is my EPG from my HUMAX, I think.

As you can see It is recording match of the day this Sunday morning on BBC1.

It looks somewhat different to the HUMAX photo posted!

Strange or not?

Right, your image shows a page from Humax. Not strange because the EPGs vary between newer and older Humax models so this would explain the difference. Imo in some ways the older functions, menus, and EPGs were better.

0 Likes
Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

Thanks Tranx, that puts my mind at rest.

Because of this thread I am a little wiser than I was a few days ago.

0 Likes
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV

I got my Q9F today and I must say that I'm very happy with it. Took some time for me to calibrate it to my tastes but the looks right now are very much perfect :face-with-tears-of-joy:

In terms of quality the only complaint I have right now is that 1080p content is too fuzzy (And upscaling can result into artifacts). But with some fine tuning everything is very much reasonable now, especially with such a big screen :smiling-face:

It also looks like the screen allows notifications from Google & Samsung accounts - but not from Exchange Activesync. Which is a shame 😞

Also, I kinda managed to butcher ambient mode. Just see for yourself :')

doorbg.jpg

I dare to bet that most people have just a wall around it but of course I managed to break it (Its worse with the door open :winking-face: ), breaking things is my speciality ^-^ 

But yeah, I like it! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Bobby76
Explorer
Options
TV

Excellent!

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

This is a photo of my set-up.F5A2E409-4803-4EEC-A5C0-FF3C171DE913.jpeg

Disappointed that I don’t have that latest upgrade......... a door 😀😀😀😀😀

SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV
Doors are truly next gen 👍😁 perfect use of space
Bobby76
Explorer
Options
TV

@SjorsK wrote:
Doors are truly next gen 👍😁 perfect use of space

If you haven't seen it, watch the movie "The adjustment bureau". If your doors work like that then I definitely want your setup instructions :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
madaf007
First Poster
Options
TV

QLED 2018? For me disaster. I bought Q7FN. The worst decision ever. Maybe the picture is not so bad, but only when you watch TV being in the middle of the screen. When you seat a little bit on the left or right, then on the opposite edge you can see that colors getting fade. The second unacceptable thing in these TVs is an impossibility to switching off local dimming. Forget about this TV's if you watch movies with subtitles. Then they are unwatchable, especially when scenes are dark. When subtitles appear, then the whole picture gets brighter. Subtitles disappears, the picture gets darker. So annoying and distracting watching movie. You can read more here:

Brightness-changes-with-subtitles

It is a software problem, which Samsung for some reason didn't resolve so far.

Bobby76
Explorer
Options
TV

Sorry to hear that. My Q9FN, no problems for me, very pleased with it.

Gfplux
Explorer
Options
TV

I am delighted with my Q955 that is now near 5 months old.

0 Likes
berney
Explorer
Options
TV
Indeed, Q7FN suffers the most from the well known dimming issue. Q9FN is not free of this issue as well. Since it is a FALD device, the brightness increase takes place around the subtitles area only, but it is there, definitely.
0 Likes
SjorsK
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV
I must say, I don't really have an issue with that on my Q9F. It is however visible in some extreme cases (A very bright logo with a pure black background for example). But it isn't enough to distract from the overal quality of the screen. I guess its the downside of the technique that is used which also has its own benefits *shrugs*

It might be more visible for the Q7F considering it has fewer "Zones" than the Q9F (More = Better). There is of course still room for improvement but it is pretty darn impressive for a LCD TV and in my opinion I don't exactly consider it an issue for my TV.

I guess that OLED does it better, but that has its own downsides (Good ol' burn in for example :smiling-face: ).
endpoint101
Navigator
Options
TV

Just noticed the AirPlay option on my Q9FN.. how long has that been there?! :smiling-face:

Video of it working with YouTube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHEYeIhapo

Video of Screen Mirroring option, which will be useful for Google Photos, which doesn't support AirPlay on iOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrHnLhiCf8

JAMES4578
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
TV

Thanks for the links @endpoint101 .    Actually  support for Airplay2 was initially announced in January ,a few manufactuers involved but Samsung the only one with inbuilt Itunes https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/18173637/tv-airplay-2-apple-lg-samsung-sony-vizio-ces-2019

The Apple Tv app became active for 2019 and selected 2018 sets on 14 May https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-becomes-first-tv-manufacturer-to-launch-the-apple-tv-app-and...

0 Likes