Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The receiver does not turn on when I turn on the TV

(Topic created on: 03-10-2021 03:42 AM)
DanielDias
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I just bought a Q900 8k 75” (QN75Q900RBGXZD) to replace an old (2014) Samsung TV and there are a few annoying things that doesn’t work on this model that used to work on the old model.

One of these things is related to the Anynet+.

I have my TV connected to a Yamaha receiver RX-A1060. With the old TV I was able to turn on the receiver when I turned on the TV using the TV remote control (just clicking the TV turn on button it also turned on the receiver) and turning off the TV the receiver also turned off.

With the Q900, when I turn on the TV the receiver doesn’t turn on. I need to use the receiver remote control. I can see that every time I turn on the TV, the TV Speakers is set as default audio output. If I change it to Receiver (HDMI) the receiver turn on.

The turn off is working: when I turn the TV off, the receiver aldo turn off.

My question is: Is there any configuration I couldn’t find the enable the feature to turn the receiver on when I turn the TV on? Or is there any way to set the Receiver (HDMI) as default audio output even when the TV is restarted?

Thanks.

Daniel

132 REPLIES 132
Fog1
First Poster
Options

Anyone having this issue, try the following (it worked for me after numerous fail resets and setting tweaks): 

Settings > Video > HDMI Setup > set RC Source Select to Select Source Only.

0 Likes
iEngineer361
First Poster
Options

This is what worked for me.  I have a Samsung receiver and went to my settings on the receiver and under audio, change Auto Return Channel to On instead of Auto.

0 Likes
Pparks1
First Poster
Options

All of a sudden started having this problem where the receiver wouldn't  turn on with the TV.   I have the Q75R samsung and a Denon AVR-X3500H.

I'm not aware of any recent firmware issues on either device.  

The way I remember it working was that if the TV was on and playing through the internal speakers then turning it on and off would just use the TV speakers.     But if while watching TV I turn on the receiver, the sound would auto switch to coming out of the Denon and turning it on/off with the TV remote would turn thr receiver on and off.   So pretty much like it just left it whichever way it was.

I followed everything in this thread.  Unplugged power, toggled anynet+ on and off.   Turning hdmi control on and off on the receiver.   Turning smart menu on and off.  Nothing seemed to work, and then all of a sudden it's back to working.   Who knows for how long.  

I have a piece of paper by my chair and am recording steps I take and which inputs I was on when powering the system off to see if I can find a pattern.

Oh well, at least I can resolve by turning on the receiver.  

0 Likes
Outdoorsman
Apprentice
Options

I appreciate you are trying to make this work but you can see how ridiculous it is that you have to document a process to turn on your tv. I have still never seen a reply from Samsung but it is negligent that this would go unresolved for so long.  Despite previously being a loyal Samsung customer and using their products for every TV and monitor in my house, my primary home theater TV is now LG. Guess what? The TV and receiver turn on with one button push every time!

0 Likes
smithywicks
First Poster
Options

I cant believe this is even an issue. 
Samsung UN75NU6900 + Yamaha TSR-700. 

With my OLD AVR, I only had an Xbox, so it was never an issue and I just hooked up the Xbox to the TV and used ARC to feed the receiver audio. This "bypassed" the issue with the workaround other people have used. My old AVR only supported 1080p, and my Xbox is 4k.  But when I got a couple more sources, I upgraded to this new AVR. I, as many of you, thought it was the AVR. But now after all this research and testing, its easy enough to replicate, 'bypass', etc.

I dont want to have to open the menu and switch audio to Receiver to turn on my receiver. I just want it to turn on.

All my TVs are Samsung. Samsung wont fix or acknowledge this. All my future TVs will be LG.

0 Likes
PePe24
First Poster
Options

I've always had Sony TVs and recently decided to switch, because my 6 years old Sony started having serious troubles with network connectivity. I was pretty much dissatisfied with the Android OS how unstable it was and many things did not work. So I switched to 55" Samsung QN85A (I still have use for my Sony) and immediately started having troubles with my Denon amplifier not switching on over HDMI CEC. Generally, I see no difference in the picture quality comparing to my old Sony. It even needed some manual tweaking to bring it to the level that Sony had - it had no contrast in bright scenes and the motion smoothing was very annoying and unnatural. I don't really understand the design of the UI - the bar at the bottom - and why I can't select HDMI inputs directly. It is definitely much faster and web content runs rapidly and network is just stable. But I can't make it control power correctly of my home theatre components. Fortunately, I could revert back to Harmony Hub I used with my old setup and it works fine. Overall, my experience with Samsung TV has been neutral maybe with more tendency to the negative. The good price somehow makes it up for the flaws. If the HDMI power on was fixed, it would be pretty good choice.

0 Likes
raiguard
First Poster
Options

I, too, am experiencing this issue. I bought a TU700D, opened it up, got it mounted, hooked it up, and immediately noticed that it wouldn't turn on my receiver when waking from sleep mode. It's ridiculous. I can turn my receiver on with my Google Home, but that shouldn't be necessary!

It's a shame, because the picture quality is gorgeous and the build quality is really good. But I am returning it tonight and getting an LG. Samsung has shown complete disinterest in fixing this issue, and is the most recent in a long line of grievances I have had with them. No more. Bye-bye Samsung!

0 Likes
echoaudiovisual
First Poster
Options

I have been a custom AV installer for  10 years, and I have seen this same issue too many times over the past couple of years in particular where the TV will not turn ON the AVR, but all other ARC Control functions work just fine once you turn the AVR on separately. It happens across all recent model Samsung's (2019+) I have come across.

I am still waiting for a fix for this issue. It is the Samsung product that is undoubtedly at fault and it is ludicrous they won't acknowledge the problem or suggest a fix. SURELY it is something that a firmware update can solve...

Samsung TV + Yamaha AVR = incorrect power syncing

Sony TV + Yamaha AVR = perfect

LG TV + Yamaha AVR = perfect

Panasonic TV + Yamaha AVR = perfect

It has got to the point where I actively discourage my customers from buying Samsung TV's, which is a ***** shame because aside from the above stated issue, they are by far the best TV in terms of quality, connectivity, interface etc.

Sorry it's not a fix, just adding my voice to the thread in the hope of a solution from the powers-that-be...

Randy31
Apprentice
Options

I had an LG TV connected to my Yamaha RX-AV780 receiver and never had issues with ARC for power on, power off and volume. As soon as I purchased my Samsung TU8300 TV, I cannot get the Yamaha Receiver to power on from the TV. Speakers are always selected. It will work the volume and will power off. I'm not sure why Samsung cannot fix the "power on" issue with their ARC functionality. I think I made a mistake purchasing this TV.

0 Likes
Mfatt89
First Poster
Options

Owner of a SR6014 and a Q80T and suffering from the same issue. Samsung please fix this.

0 Likes