Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Frame Slideshow feature request

(Topic created on: 14-07-2019 08:16 PM)
JR15
Student
Options

Hello, I have had The Frame in my living room for a little while now, and I have found that the slideshow desperately needs the following features: 

• Randomize the Slideshow Sequence - When showing a collection, the sequence always starts at the beginning of the collection. We need to be able to randomize the order in which the art is being shown so that it doesn't always start with the same thing. 

• Skip to the next picture - During the Slideshow, the ability to skip to the previous or next picture would be highly useful. We should be able to use the currently unassigned Left or Right arrow buttons to do this. Sometimes when viewing, .e.g a curated collection, something will come that is undesireable, or sometimes it can even scary for my children! When this happens, my only recourse is to start the collection over again from the first slide. 

• Set a default mode for the Mat. I don't like the virtual frames that get put around the pictures. In some cases it looks ridiculous and totally unconvincing. I would like to default the Mat to only fill the whole frame, no digital whitespace around it. Having to set this on a picture by picture basis is not good. If the picture cannot fill the frame, then I do not want to show it. 
133 REPLIES 133
Hawkian
Journeyman
Options

These features are absolutely key functions for anything that displays images- features that I imagine anyone purchasing this TV simply assumed were available. 

I would love to hear that this is at least in the works.

Winterchip
First Poster
Options

Yes it was quite a dissapointment and strange realisation that these features were not present. 

How do we find out it this is under development?

Hawkian
Journeyman
Options

Not sure, but I guess it's a good idea to keep bumping this topic. I couldn't really recommend this TV to anyone for the price knowing about this now; it's stuff that anyone buying it will just assume is there. 

GeckoSquish
Explorer
Options

There are multiple threads about these topics and others all over these forums and yet Samsung has shown no interest in adding what should be minimum basic functionality. The fixes would be so simple to implement, it's unbelievable it hasn't been rolled out in an update yet.

Another point of grievance I have that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the terrible transitions between images.  Rather than a smooth cross fade or even just an immediate swap, there's a ridiculous and distracting flash of white between the 2 images.

jnjsk
First Poster
Options
I also would like to see the above features added, plus another one I haven't seen mentioned yet: the ability to set the rotation interval to less than ten minutes - six pictures per hour isn't enough! We should be able to specify any interval in at least 1 minute increments.
Msea
Journeyman
Options

Have just purchased this TV and assumed there would be comprehensive slide show functionality, this is the basics for showing art, disappointing. Hopefully this will come with a future update? 

Lanceloz
Apprentice
Options

I share the same feeling and experience.

I find Samsung The Frame's handling of the art very primitive.

After you find the slideshow option (when you find it because it is kind of non-intuitive), it always starts the show from the very first image of the folder. No random option.

Once in a slideshow mode, there is no way you could skip a less appealing art work by pressing (say) the right arrow without interupting the slide show. So for instance, if you start a slideshow from the Classic Painter section of the Art Shop and you want to skip the sixth painting and move to the seventh you can't. And, of course, you cancel the slideshow, then you start from the first one again.

When you upload your images or own art work, there is very few mat options (no mat, modern mat, classic mat, etc.) if it is not perfectly in the size ration of 16:9. No guidelines there or tutorial to help you upload the right size.

Not sure if it is for everyone, but the Smart Things app is working irregularly for me. Sometimes, it considers the TV as connected, and some other time not. Although I can turn it off from the app even if it appears as not connected.

And last, the TV keeps asking me to trust the very same device (in my case my android phone) again and again. For instance, if I want to cast the screen of my phone it will ask me to trust it (which makes sense the first time). But randomy, serveral times a day, it will ask me again. The phone has long been added in the devices section of the TV but it does not change a thing. It even adds a new entry everytime i "trust" my phone. Which makes the list of trusted devices very long despite it is the same phone that has been approved again and again.

I am not sure how to update the firmware of the TV either, if there is any update.

Anyway, I am also slightly disappointed. I was expecting better.

Msea
Journeyman
Options

I completely agree with all of these comments, I recently purchased the Frame TV to be able to showcase some of my photos, I asummed (incorrectly) that slideshow fuctionality on what is advertised as an ART TV would be there; randomized images, skip to next image and even select a slide change time of less than 10 minutes, for me are the basics, I actually had better fuctionality in my 10 year old LG TV, this TV has a superb picture, however I'm regretting my purchase now, very disappointing from Samsung.

Msea
Journeyman
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @JR15. I have passed these suggestions on to our R&D team.

Hi, do you have any fedback from the R&D team? seems there is a lot of comments in this thread and other threads asking the same thing.

JR16
First Poster
Options

Hello, any update to this? I am finding the lack of fully featured capabilities on the picture display functionality to be seriously impacting the experience of this TV, which I bought to display pictures!!