Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Frame Slideshow feature request

(Topic created on: 24-06-2020 11:20 AM)
JR15
Student
Options

Hello, I have had The Frame in my living room for a little while now, and I have found that the slideshow desperately needs the following features: 

• Randomize the Slideshow Sequence - When showing a collection, the sequence always starts at the beginning of the collection. We need to be able to randomize the order in which the art is being shown so that it doesn't always start with the same thing. 

• Skip to the next picture - During the Slideshow, the ability to skip to the previous or next picture would be highly useful. We should be able to use the currently unassigned Left or Right arrow buttons to do this. Sometimes when viewing, .e.g a curated collection, something will come that is undesireable, or sometimes it can even scary for my children! When this happens, my only recourse is to start the collection over again from the first slide. 

• Set a default mode for the Mat. I don't like the virtual frames that get put around the pictures. In some cases it looks ridiculous and totally unconvincing. I would like to default the Mat to only fill the whole frame, no digital whitespace around it. Having to set this on a picture by picture basis is not good. If the picture cannot fill the frame, then I do not want to show it. 
133 REPLIES 133
Mitrekab
Pioneer
Options

Yes all the others were down the Pub with the guys from Apple and Netflix spending the advertising revenue.

0 Likes
simsingh
First Poster
Options

Thanks so much for that info. Its literally no where. Really poor GUI by Samsung 

Spkleynhans
First Poster
Options

I own three Samsung Frames and I really like the look and capability, but frankly the software is pretty poor.  Like many here the primary reason I purchased the device was to show off my own pictures ... a giant digital frame.  However, the picture frame software is actually pretty rudimentary and not up the capabilities one would find on a $25 digital frame or a $2 tablet app.  Very basic capabilities are missing, and the reliability of the software is suspect.  Samsung also appears to abandon older models once newer ones ship rather than provide even the most basic upgrades.   You might not notice this if you only buy one Frame, but I have 3 different years of the same model and the differences in the software are surprising.  To expect a buyer to replace a  2 year old $1500 TV just to get a tweak to the matte options for pictures is not terribly customer focused.   Some specific issues with the Frame slideshow (some of which have been mentioned previously by others on this thread):

• Can't shuffle or re-order images - They always play in the order they were loaded which given how unreliable and finicky that process can be, is a real pain
  • Can't easily load and manage personal collections (only paid for ones).  You can only load (slowly) a bunch of pictures and can only divide them into favorites or everything.
  • Poor scaling (why can't it rescale or reedit pictures rather than forcing you to edit them perfectly to 4K?).  And why does it occasionally screw up the scaling and stretch pictures if you happened to have a slightly different resolution?
  • Very limited selection of collage options, or more interesting mattes. Maybe I want the portrait picture on the left instead of the right, or maybe I want to display 2 portrait images. Or 4 landscape shots.
  • Poor ability to manage when the slide show comes on and off.  I have one in my bedroom and I have to force the display into Off mode to prevent the slideshow from randomly popping on at 2 in the morning .. regardless of how all the settings are tweaked ... I've tried them all.  
  • Can't access images from a cloud service.  I'd prefer Google photos or OneDrive, but even Samsung's own Gallery isn't supported.  Seriously? This is a cloud connected device.
  • No easy way to set up a large number of pictures with mattes and options.  You must do it one by one. And it is a slow painful process.  At least (as one other noted) let me have a default option.
  • No smooth transitions when changing images. It is always a rather inelegant jump cut with a visible glitch.  Pictures should fade one to the next.
  • Can't advance (or skip back) pictures (treat like a slide show)
  • Slide show always restarts from the beginning
  • Should be able to combine with some of the Ambient mode features (like having the time overlaid with voice command)
  • I should be able to optionally have the picture name/title and maybe a date displayed tastefully along the bottom. And an option to call up more metadata from the remote or with a voice command.  
  • No easy way to play music or audio along with the images

As I noted I own three and overall really like the device.  But there is significant room for improvement.

wppjunior
First Poster
Options

Any news?

Those are features every customer is waiting for. Samsung why it takes so long? Be kind and listen to your customers feedback.

Dylan20
Apprentice
Options

@samsung - use this post, add these items to your developers scrum board, develop them, make customers happy. 

It's not that hard... 

Dylan20
Apprentice
Options

@samsung - use this post, add these items to your developers scrum board, develop them, make customers happy. 

It's not that hard... 

Sigi2
First Poster
Options

The shortest rotation time is too long for me. It would be very easy to add another rotation time let's say 1 Minute. I need it for a waiting room.

LysolPionex
Explorer
Options

If this thing were open source, someone could've added these features over a weekend. These were requested over a year ago and are VERY basic features. 

I just spent 2 grand on a 2020 FRAME TV that can't do its main thing as well as a cheap digital frame from the dollar store.

Is there ANY update? 

jessejames1882
Student
Options

I have The Frame 49". I totally agree with you on all three bullet points.

• Randomize the Slideshow Sequence
  • Skip to the next picture
  • Set a default mode for the Mat. Also I feel it is so insulting to just chuck a digital mat over any of these amazing images and cut off huge amounts of the original image...the artist's would not be happy and nor am I.
GeckoSquish
Explorer
Options

I did see a firmware update come through a few weeks back, but guess what... no change to the art mode functionality... In my opinion, don't hold your breath, just return it if you can!

0 Likes