Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

The Frame (2021), Xbox Series X and Firmware 1506

(Topic created on: 09-12-2021 05:55 PM)
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

We got 2x The Frame 65" 2021 and 2x Xbox Series X.

Two days ago one frame suddenly stopped working with the HDMI "Game Port".

The day after the other one experienced the same and now none of the TV's HDMI "Game Port" works with the Xbox. TV's just displays a "check input power source" message.

Connecting the XBOX to another HDMI-port works fine.

I checked the latest firmware @ Samsung support page and it says 1506 was made available last week, so my hypothesis is that it breaks "HDMI Game-port" functionality when using the xbox series x 4k/120hz.

I've played around with disabling VRR, HDR etc. on the xbox to no avail. Also had Samsung support remove into the TVs and first reset EDID(?) and then full factory reset.

Didn't fix the issue.

Currently using another HDMI for the Xbox but would prefer to get it back into the GAME-port as this supposedly provides a better picture and VRR-support etc.

Anyone got ideas? :smiling-face: 

403 REPLIES 403
Fila79
Apprentice
Options

I have exactly the same issue with HDMI4, it states that Xbox is power off .

just bought the Frame 2 weeks ago and I am so disappointed😰

Shpounz
Pioneer
Options

I have exactly the same issue with this TV purchased this weekend. I have contacted the Samsung support service (France) which tells me that they do not know the problem. They have done various remote resets and settings without success. The technician told me that the problem did not necessarily come from the television but could also come from the Xbox or the cable... even if I told him that the problem seemed to be shared by several users on their forum!

@Samsung, what are you doing about this problem?

Fila79
Apprentice
Options

I have replaced the cable yesterday for a new one that can even support 8K, the issue continues.

as I don’t want to fight for this for months , and wait for Samsung to resolve it … I have just trade it for a LG G1. 

TRV13E
Journeyman
Options

Hi!

I must admit that I am a bit lazy so I will use google translator. But I want to tell you what my story with Samsung The Frame was like.

I bought a TV about two months ago, on the day of purchase I found out that I have the same problem as everyone else, HDMI 2.1 just didn't work, I tried to solve the problem in various ways, sometimes I was able to play for 30 minutes, but after turning off the console the problem kept coming back. I have been patiently waiting a month for an update, or for a moment when one of you finds a solution and shares it with it, but nothing like that happened. In the meantime, I contacted the samsung hotline several times, they did a TV reset, cache cleaning, then a reset (remotely), nothing gave a solution.

In the end I decided to create a repair request, after two days a service technician called me and told me that he once had a similar problem with samsung and is not able to solve it, and he will not take the TV to himself because there is no console to be able to check if it works, he said he would contact Samsung and let me know what we could do. 3 days have passed and the service technician called with the information that he had received files from Samsung that would update the HDMI ports (service-info), we made an appointment and arrived, he tried to repair the TV for 3 hours, but he did not recognize the files on the pendrive (someone already described here similar situation). He said that he would contact Samsung again and let me know what to do next, after two days he called with the information that the files he received were from higher Samsung models (miniled and 8K) and that there is no solution to this problem at the moment, but he recommends waiting for updates , this is how the "repair" in Samsung ended. I did not let go because this solution of the case is a joke for me, I could wait even a month or two, but no one gave me a guarantee that such an update would actually take place. I made another complaint, this time in the store where I bought the TV, I relied on the fact that the goods I bought did not match the description (where is the information about HDMI 2.1 compliance). Store gave me the money and now explains the situation with Samsung on its own.

I choosed the Sony 9096 and im really happy with that.

Shpounz
Pioneer
Options

I see on the Samsung website that the firmware 1808.1 is available for download since 11/11/2021. This firmware is not proposed by my television (v1805) when I search for updates. Has anyone installed this firmware manually? Does it solve the problem?

TRV13E
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, its not working 

jrober
Journeyman
Options

Anyone tried the new USB firmware released Dec 6-21 (Canada), v1901.0?

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/QN65LS03AAFXZC/#downloads

**edit**

Tried 1901.0 via USB for myself and issue persists on HDMI 4...

njhtran
Apprentice
Options

I have found a workaround that works for me.  I am not 100% sure which combination of actions made it work due to cargo culting, but I can tell you what I have configured:

1) do not use hdmi4.  This port is purely broken for 120hz.  I have my nintendo switch on this one since it doesnt need 120hz

2) hdmi 1-3 appear to all work with game mode and 120hz and vrr despite the documentation.

3) for the xbox series x , i am using the hdmi cable that came with it.  this appears to make a difference as I tried other 8k cables from amazon with unreliable results

4) ** DISABLED AUTO HDMI SENSING ** 

"Make sure you are on the TV source (not an HDMI source), and then point the remote at the TV and input the code: MuteVol DownCh DownMute.

NoteMute is activated by pressing in on the Volume rocker.

No indicator will appear on screen after putting this code in. To test if the setting has changed, turn on a connected HDMI device."

5) for EACH and every HDMI input , switch to that input and then go to External Device Management (in Menu) and then ENSURE Game Mode is enabled!   TO REITERATE, you'll have to do this for every HDMI input, it is not a blanket setting!

6) On your Xbox Series X (mine is on HDMI2)  , go to xbox settings display and ensure 4k is on and ensure set to 120hz.   At first, this was giving me some kick back (wanted to go back to 1080p) but after persistence it finally stuck.  I'm not sure the exact pattern that made it work but it will eventually.   If screen goes black and source says "console not powered on", I've found unplugging the hdmi and plugging back in will force the display to come back on.

7) For PS5 (mine is on HDMI1) , go to PS settings and ensure the display is set to 2k (it doesnt have 4k apparently) and ensure the 120hz option is set to automatic.   Note that only SOME games (such as Rainbow Six) support 120hz and therefore you wont see the Samsung game mode reflect 120hz until you go into that game.  

INFO: To confirm that your Xbox or PS5 is in 120 fps mode, on the smart controller hold down the "play/pause" button for a couple of seconds, it'll pop up a game mode overlay and tell you how many fps it's sensing.

I hope this helps everyone as a temp workaround until Samsung gets their act together.

0 Likes
Shpounz
Pioneer
Options

This version is not available on the French Samsung support website. I do not know if I could take this file because the file name format is not the same as in France

0 Likes
Landground
First Poster
Options

Also got this issue! Just hung my Frame 75 up on the wall and…. Wierdness. Come on Samsung!

0 Likes