Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

The Frame (2021), Xbox Series X and Firmware 1506

(Topic created on: 04-09-2021 02:32 PM)
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

We got 2x The Frame 65" 2021 and 2x Xbox Series X.

Two days ago one frame suddenly stopped working with the HDMI "Game Port".

The day after the other one experienced the same and now none of the TV's HDMI "Game Port" works with the Xbox. TV's just displays a "check input power source" message.

Connecting the XBOX to another HDMI-port works fine.

I checked the latest firmware @ Samsung support page and it says 1506 was made available last week, so my hypothesis is that it breaks "HDMI Game-port" functionality when using the xbox series x 4k/120hz.

I've played around with disabling VRR, HDR etc. on the xbox to no avail. Also had Samsung support remove into the TVs and first reset EDID(?) and then full factory reset.

Didn't fix the issue.

Currently using another HDMI for the Xbox but would prefer to get it back into the GAME-port as this supposedly provides a better picture and VRR-support etc.

Anyone got ideas? :smiling-face: 

403 REPLIES 403
Stz2
First Poster
Options

Try going to the support section on the website and manually downloading a newer firmware if available. 

My tv didn't have an update available, I had to manually install it from a firmware file downloaded from Samsung 

0 Likes
CalumH
Explorer
Options

Did this fix the issue for you? 

also what region are you in, as for those of us in Europe 1506 is still the latest update while I think the only newer version is available in the US

0 Likes
Stz2
First Poster
Options

I'm in Canada. 1708 update manually downloaded from the Samsung site. 

65" LS03A

0 Likes
omigna
Apprentice
Options

Did it work for you? I’m the US and it did not for me. 

0 Likes
Stz2
First Poster
Options

Yes, 1708 works for me. Before the update I could not set the Xbox above  1080p or I would get a no signal message on HDMI 4

After the update, all is good. Everything works properly. I still have the update file. Not sure if it works in other regions.... Mine is a 65" LS03A. 

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Its internally locked to US/Canada models.

0 Likes
Stz2
First Poster
Options

There is a way to change your TV's region. I used to do that to add steamlink to my Canadian Samsung TV. Perhaps a region change would allow the firmwsre update, then change it back after  

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Quite unlikely, given EU versions must adhere to rather strict manufacturing rules, while USA does not. Which means it has sense for Samsung to make reasonably physically different version. Plus I saw review where that black box (which has all TV HW) in US looked different than one in EU. Slots in different places at least.

And ofc due USA being more "free" when it comes to manufacturing, it costs Samsung less to make that version. Unlikely they would let that opportunity go.

Thus its bit unlikely region switch will work. Beside that, I do need some stuff in my language and it would break other things that work right now, which are region specific.

0 Likes
TheShow
Explorer
Options

Hi All, 

Just to confirm that the firmware 1708 DID NOT FIXED the issue with 4k 120hrz gaming on Frame TV 2021 (65inch) with Xbox Series X. 

My Xbox Series X works ok for 4k 60hrz (same as before)but, not for 120hrz. As soon as I turn on 4k 120hrz on HDMI4(game port) with game mode turned on and go play a game, screen goes completely blank with "check source" message on screen. Exactly same behaviour as it did with the firmware version 1506. I'm based in UK and I got the firmware 1708 automatically over the air as it's officially available here in UK now. I am hoping that Samsung engineers can fix this problem soon otherwise, I am happy with the TV.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Stz2
First Poster
Options

I'm in Canada, and can confirm 1708 DOES FIX THE ISSUE. with the Canadian version(probably US too). 

My Xbox series X works perfectly with game port 4, 4k 120hz. Game mode on<--- this is important 

0 Likes