Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

The Frame (2021), Xbox Series X and Firmware 1506

(Topic created on: 05-07-2021 12:01 PM)
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

We got 2x The Frame 65" 2021 and 2x Xbox Series X.

Two days ago one frame suddenly stopped working with the HDMI "Game Port".

The day after the other one experienced the same and now none of the TV's HDMI "Game Port" works with the Xbox. TV's just displays a "check input power source" message.

Connecting the XBOX to another HDMI-port works fine.

I checked the latest firmware @ Samsung support page and it says 1506 was made available last week, so my hypothesis is that it breaks "HDMI Game-port" functionality when using the xbox series x 4k/120hz.

I've played around with disabling VRR, HDR etc. on the xbox to no avail. Also had Samsung support remove into the TVs and first reset EDID(?) and then full factory reset.

Didn't fix the issue.

Currently using another HDMI for the Xbox but would prefer to get it back into the GAME-port as this supposedly provides a better picture and VRR-support etc.

Anyone got ideas? :smiling-face: 

403 REPLIES 403
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Frame? As it hangs on two points I suppose it does lean a bit forward. Probably fixable by adding some spacer of sort under bottom part?

0 Likes
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

8311CB41-0AA8-4F47-818C-8308C47C7008.png

AD458BF3-6F3A-4D0C-9E2B-4C87D19DBFF2.png

 both ours tilts slightly forward. Seems to be intended that way and isn’t really an issue.

Nick Gee
Journeyman
Options

Hi, sorry to hear about your issue. But also super relieved that it's not just me.  I'm too also having the exact same issues with HDMI 4 using Xbox Series X.  I just got a new 55" frame set it up. All seemed to be working fine. Tried the XSX and it initially worked on the first day but ever since I've had to move onto other ports to get any display. I checked the firmware and sure enough it's on 1506 and now has a dodgy HDMI 4 port.  Hopefully we all get an update soon.  Thanks.

0 Likes
UniformRobin
Journeyman
Options

We definitely need to escalate this, they didn’t even publicly acknowledged this issue or released a statement. Is there a way for us to create a petition and let them know how pissed of we are? It’s not like we got this TV for free, we paid a huge amount of money for it. 

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Unless you sue them, probably not. In EU there is in some countries law that they need to fix it in 30 days or you can return your goods, unsure about whole EU and ofc outside EU its probably no chance.

0 Likes
GMAN3
Journeyman
Options

20210705_163333.jpg

 Hi guys, mistake me if I'm wrong but I'm using HDMI port 1 here and managing to get VRR active with 120fps in 4K. My only testing is fifa21 as I know this game has been optimised for x box series X. 

0 Likes
Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

That should be impossible, but what do I know. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Size of your Frame? 55"?

Also possible you got newer/better box with your TV.

Mine is definitely that older version with HDMI 2.1 being 4th slot and rest being HDMI 2.0.

That said, I managed 4k at 60Hz with HDR, 12bit and 4:4:4 RGB with HDMI 2.0 slots too. Only problem is that it shouldnt be possible, cause link speed was over 2.0 limit with 5.4Gbit/s x4.

So either those ports arent just 2.0b .. or I dont know.

Also only nVidia allowed me to set that, AMD is big fkin nope.

On both, HDMI port 4, which is one that should be HDMI 2.1 doesnt work with input signal plus at all..

If what you see is "real", then it means your HDMI port 1 is HDMI 2.1 pretty sure. Btw. you didnt count it backwards right, it does say HDMI 1 above port?

0 Likes
GMAN3
Journeyman
Options

Look, who knows if it's actually 120fps and not 60fps. But I'm not using the port 4 hdmi (as in the one with the game controller)  I'm using the opposite end port. I'm guessing that's port 1. I'm using port 3 the one next to the gaming port for my yamaha reciever as it has arc connection. 

Would my xbox let me choose 120fps if my tv didn't support it? And you were saying you couldn't use VRR and all the good stuff that 2.1 let's you. From what I'm seeing here this is like 2.1. Did they change it to port 1? I haven't tested port 2 or 3 but port 4 the actual gaming 2.1 port just doesn't connect for me. 

Anyway I'm using the 2021 75" The frame tv.

Also on the current firmware 1506.

Haven't tested my 65" I bought for the bedroom yet. 

Let me know how you go testing other ports. Maybe you can't use VRR and maybe you can't use 120fps because your game doesn't support it. But when you go into menu settings of your x box X do you have a green tick next to your tv supports 4k at 120fps? 

0 Likes
CalumH
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I am also able to select 120hz in the Xbox settings as it detects that the tv is able to play at that refresh rate, however it can only actually do so on the 2.1 port, if you load up your game and hold the play/pause button on your Samsung remote it will bring up the game bar showing that it will only actually play at 60 FPS maximum on any other hdmi port.

0 Likes
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

I'm pretty sure that all ports supports 4k/120hz and what you lose out on (when not using the game port) is Variable Frame Rate (VRR).

This is from page 147 in the manual:

https___content_syndigo_com_asset_775d85ae-ee8a-42f0-b2b0-2ded9cf7c8ce_original_pdf.png

Notice that the "*" indicating that HDMI 4 port is required is not present in 120FPS-section.

I can also confirm that the Game Bars on both my TV's say "120" when using the Xbox Series X on HDMI 1 and playing a supported game (Forza 4 for example).

I suggest you check the Xbox video settings again (4k/120hz) and also verify that INPUT SIGNAL PLUS is activated for the port you are using @ the Samsung Settings (this is apparently a requirement for 120hz according to the same page in the manual)

Cheers

Bronto

Edit: I might have misunderstood the representation in the table above. I expected the "star" to be present next to 120fps (in the leftmost column) if there was a restriction, but then noticed that there is a star present for every input option (both 8 and 10 bit) associated with 120fps. 4k/120hz does seem to work for me though (using a non game port with input signal plus active).