Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

The Frame (2021), Xbox Series X and Firmware 1506

(Topic created on: 30-06-2021 11:10 AM)
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

We got 2x The Frame 65" 2021 and 2x Xbox Series X.

Two days ago one frame suddenly stopped working with the HDMI "Game Port".

The day after the other one experienced the same and now none of the TV's HDMI "Game Port" works with the Xbox. TV's just displays a "check input power source" message.

Connecting the XBOX to another HDMI-port works fine.

I checked the latest firmware @ Samsung support page and it says 1506 was made available last week, so my hypothesis is that it breaks "HDMI Game-port" functionality when using the xbox series x 4k/120hz.

I've played around with disabling VRR, HDR etc. on the xbox to no avail. Also had Samsung support remove into the TVs and first reset EDID(?) and then full factory reset.

Didn't fix the issue.

Currently using another HDMI for the Xbox but would prefer to get it back into the GAME-port as this supposedly provides a better picture and VRR-support etc.

Anyone got ideas? :smiling-face: 

403 REPLIES 403
BrontoTaurus
Explorer
Options

Update:

I called Samsung today as I hadn't heard back yet and they told me to try a new approach: "Reset flash".

This is done by first holding the on/off-button on the TV for exactly 5 seconds and then immediately after releasing holding down the on/off-button on the remote for another 5 seconds.... And then pulling the power cord and letting the TV sit without power for 10-15 minutes.

The on/off-button on the TV is located on the bottom of the TV behind the small IR/-movement receiver (on 2021 this is approx 15 cm from the right edge, and on 2020 and older its located in the center of the tv (@ the bottom).

So to recap:

1) Press and hold the physical on/off button on the TV for exactly 5 seconds (use a timer)

2) After releasing the button on the TV:

3) Press and hold the on/off button on the remote for exactly 5 second (use a timer).

The Samsung/The Frame logo will then flash 1-2 times during the next 1-2 minutes and the TV will be reset to factory defaults and require a full new setup(!).

4) After the TV has rebooted and is displaying the setup menu, remove the power cord and let the TV sit without power for 10-15 minutes.

This did NOT however resolve my issue.

After doing the steps above I enabled Game Mode AUTO on The Frame and plugged my Xbox Series X into the Game HDMI and it immediately displayed the Xbox picture correctly. I ventured into the settings menu @ the xbox and verified that it displayed the picture @ 4K and 120hz... So at this point it was seemingly a success!

However when I turned on VRR (Variable framerate) it all went wrong... The screen immediately went black and I couldn't get the picture back.

I then switched the xbox to a non-game HDMI port and got the picture back and disabled VRR.

But when moving the HDMI back to the GAME-port I still can't get a picture at all (VRR OFF).

So basically I'm back to square one. The TV will not recognize the xbox at 4k/120hz @ the game port even with VRR disabled.

The action of turning VRR ON after the flash-reset might trigger the issue, so there is a possibility that it will work on the GAME-port after a flash-reset and without (ever) enabling the VRR-mode, but that is not really a solution as VRR then can't be utilized....

I told Samsung support all of the above and they are keeping the ticket open and will investigate (or so they said). Will get back to you with any future developments. :smiling-face:

Bronto.

CalumH
Explorer
Options

Hi BrontoTaurus

Thanks for the update, it seems we will just have to wait until samsung eventually roll out a new firmware update!

It would be useful if they kept an archive of previous firmware versions that we could just flash on to the tv using a usb port, but after a lot of searching I think only the 1506 version is available to download anywhere.

Thanks again and fingers crossed for an actual solution soon!

Iksh
First Poster
Options

Oh you saved me from getting into trouble !  I was Going to update My Frame Tv to 1506 from previous version as Sometimes When auto hdr on Series x is on the screen flickers while launching a game. Else i have no issue with 4K 120 Hz UHD HDR on 4th port. I guess i am gonna wait unless you find a solution 

UniformRobin
Journeyman
Options

I’m a Samsung The Frame 2021 user in Malaysia and i can confirm the 1506 firmware is causing issues with my unit as well. I wonder how long we’re supposed to give them time to come up with an update. I am seriously considering selling it off. What’s the point of having a HDMI2.1 port if you cannot use its features to play next gen consoles?

TheShow
Explorer
Options

Clearly people from all over the world are reporting the same issue and it might be something can be fixed by new firmware(hopefully!) update. I don't mind waiting for the next update but, at least there should some indication that Samsung has made aware of this problem and they are working on it. Thanks

0 Likes
TheShow
Explorer
Options

Hopefully it's not the same or similar issue described in the article below which affected most of new AV receivers with HDMI 2.1  https://www.engadget.com/hdmi-2-1-xbox-series-x-receiver-issues-034534313.html?guccounter=1&guce_ref...

I wonder VRR was working ok with Xbox Series X before the firmware version 1506.

0 Likes
GMAN3
Journeyman
Options

Another user here, australia. samsung the frame 2021 75" and 65". Firmware 1506. 

It would be nice if they could tell us that an update is coming. 

Also I bought the Yamaha RX-V6A before knowing the 2.1 chip is useless. This is not my year for 2.1 lol 

Mescalamba
Pioneer
Options

Hm, that explains why my HDMI 4 is limited to 4k 30Hz and nothing else. So basically they murdered whatever was responsible for HDMI 2.1 .. and I thought problem is on my side.

0 Likes
GMAN3
Journeyman
Options

We just got to hang in there. Fingers and toes crossed. 

0 Likes
GMAN3
Journeyman
Options

A little bit off topic but I was wondering if I mounted it correctly to the wall. Is the tv supposed to slightly lean a little forward? 

0 Likes