Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Frame 2019 Needs Some improvements

(Topic created on: 26-08-2019 06:44 AM)
Mike_H
Apprentice
Options

I’ve got a new 65” Frame. Lovely looking thing. I bought it as a device to display art and photography, that happens to be a TV if needed (not the other way around). There are two vital areas where some work is needed;

1. Art work is cropped when a mat/frame is applied. This is unforgivable, horrible cropping to peices of art and photographs rendering them confusing or meaningless, this really needs sorting. Especially in a device that’s USP is its ability to display art!

2. Own images/photographs can only be displayed with the light box effect. These desparately need to be available in full screen and mat mode if they reflect the native 16:9 ratio.

And then some things which would be much better if solved

3. There is too large a jump in brightness from mid point to the next one up.

4. The colour cast could do with more than just how yellow or white the image is, especially as at the higher ranges of warmth tennis ball green starts to appear.

5. It should be possible to chose saturation in art mode separate from the main picture setting on the TV side, either I have too saturated TV pictures and correct art or correctly balanced TV and washed out art/photographs. I’d rather have one less image setting type on the TV type to allow one to affect art mode only.

6. What’s the refresh rate with this? In art mode I can see flicker. It’s very distracting. I am sensitive to flicker but I don’t see it in TV mode, has this been slowed to save energy and if so can we be given the option to alter it?

At the moment I really don’t think it’s quite sorted, which is surprising for something which has been around for 4 years.

6. Not sure if this is just my setup but Bluetooth audio seems to break up in a way that doesn’t occur with my smart speakers.

I really hope you can do a bit more work on this to turn it into the great product it could and should be!

Thanks in advance.

Mike

27 REPLIES 27
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Mike_H wrote:

I’ve got a new 65” Frame. Lovely looking thing. I bought it as a device to display art and photography, that happens to be a TV if needed (not the other way around). There are two vital areas where some work is needed;

1. Art work is cropped when a mat/frame is applied. This is unforgivable, horrible cropping to peices of art and photographs rendering them confusing or meaningless, this really needs sorting. Especially in a device that’s USP is its ability to display art!

2. Own images/photographs can only be displayed with the light box effect. These desparately need to be available in full screen and mat mode if they reflect the native 16:9 ratio.

And then some things which would be much better if solved

3. There is too large a jump in brightness from mid point to the next one up.

4. The colour cast could do with more than just how yellow or white the image is, especially as at the higher ranges of warmth tennis ball green starts to appear.

5. It should be possible to chose saturation in art mode separate from the main picture setting on the TV side, either I have too saturated TV pictures and correct art or correctly balanced TV and washed out art/photographs. I’d rather have one less image setting type on the TV type to allow one to affect art mode only.

6. What’s the refresh rate with this? In art mode I can see flicker. It’s very distracting. I am sensitive to flicker but I don’t see it in TV mode, has this been slowed to save energy and if so can we be given the option to alter it?

At the moment I really don’t think it’s quite sorted, which is surprising for something which has been around for 4 years.

6. Not sure if this is just my setup but Bluetooth audio seems to break up in a way that doesn’t occur with my smart speakers.

I really hope you can do a bit more work on this to turn it into the great product it could and should be!

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi @ Mike, thanks for your input -whilst the Frame may stand in terms of style and impact obviously some limitations and have been mixed views on the product.   samsung gives Motion rates and on this set it is 240 which indicates a s a native refresh of 120Hz. take it you have tried all the adjustmets you can make and likely will be a bit slowed down in the art Mode. Obviously not too good though if you are sensitive to flicker.   I have seen on The US community some saying that If you want to be able to use 3D mats, the photo aspect ratio must be precisely  16x9. So if you want to upload a personal photo, you  must scale the aspect ratio to 16x9,to  ensure it is a perfect aspect ratio.

From various reviews  general feeling was that  the picture performance on The Tv was a bit sub par on previous models but said to be improved in the 2109 version which  features QLED  technology, even if it will still  not be as  impressive as the standard QLED sets.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Massig
Pioneer
Options

I uploaded an image at 3200x1800 which is excatly 16:9 and still I only get shadow box option

Furrnak
Student
Options

The cynic in me thinks that this is a ‘Feature’ 

Along with forcing adverts on the UI  I imagine they know the shadow box is terrible, but this is to dissuade you from using your own photos so that you’re ‘nudged’ to use, and most importantly PAY for the Samsung gallery service.

Premium product..... last Samsung TV I say back. Just need a competitor to step in.

Massig
Pioneer
Options

Just noticed that weirdly that whilst adding the mount of the phone allows shadow box only, when I tried it in the TV the modern mount was available... On pictures at 16/9 exactly. Ie. Uploaded 16/9 photo via phone. Gone on the TV and added the mount there. All options were available. 

Mike_H
Apprentice
Options

The whole thing is unpredictable. Recently I’ve both shot and cropped images to the exact sizes. Sometimes I get the full range of options on the phone sometime I don’t. I’ve also noticed that recently the modern mount doesn’t seem to crop so maybe this has been updated. 

The biggest source of frustration at the minute is the unpredictability of the above combined with with unpredictability of whether the app is going to let me upload at all or just gives the ‘please connect to the same network error’ (despite being connected to the same network!) I can usually get my iPhone to connect eventually but I’ve not managed it with my iPad  ever. Even then it often complains about network errors and either fails or upload 4 copies of the image!

Steve68220
First Poster
Options

Hi,

same issue here. Actually, if you are lucky and your picture is perfectly 16:9 (to the pixel!) you get some additional option for the mat (modern mat, panorama, trifold, etc.) but NOT the "no mat" option like for the pictures from the art store. As a photographer myself, it is very frustating not to be able to display my picures correctly in full screen...

Any feedback from samsung regarding these mat options in a (near) future?

Kwan_B
First Poster
Options

Hi, while uploading my personal photos to 'The Frame' I found some of them were showing up in full screen with no mat.

All the photos were approximately cropped to the ratio of the TV(16:9). In all the photos the shadow matte was the only option I could select but some of them were showing up in full screen. I was curious why the difference was made between the photos. While looking closely to one of the full framed photos, I found out that there were a thin background matte up and down of the photo that I didn't recognize before. It meant that there was actually a mat and the cropped ratio of the photo is not exactly 16:9. From these observations, I suppose the resolution of the photo is one of the points that made the difference. Because the nearly full framed photos were more clear and sharp in image with high resolution than the others. I did not try yet, but I made a theory that if I crop a high resolution photo to the full frame ratio(16:9) maintaining the resolution bigger than 3840x2160(display resolution of The Frame) in pixels, I could display them in the TV with full screen. As a same user and art lover, I hope you could display your photos in full screen and appreciate them properly with The Frame TV.

0 Likes
Lapadopo
Explorer
Options

I managed to solve the issue related to showing own images in full screen (no mat) or with Modern mount, but Samsung still needs to fix this as 1px should not make any difference. Check this thread: 

2019 Frame TV Art Mode Mount issue

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/2019-Frame-TV-Art-Mode-Mount-issue/m-p/1412152/highlight/true...

In addition, Samsung should make Ambient mode available on Frame TV as on all other QLED TV's (Art mode is just one of the features of Ambient mode). Please check this thread:

The frame 2019 ambient mode
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/The-frame-2019-ambient-mode/m-p/1410500#M31367

sophiemarcil
First Poster
Options
how did you manage to make your image full screen? I bought this TV for that ONLY purpose and I am stock with the mount... very frustrating!
0 Likes