Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Television and headphone

(Topic created on: 16-04-2020 03:01 PM)
MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

Hi 

Can anyone please tell me how I can connect a bluetooth headphone to a samsung smart TV.   There is no headphone jack on my TV.  The only thing I can see is a Digital Audio (out) optical socket which seems closed off for some reason.  Any ideas welcome.  Take care.  Martin 

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

Thanks AntS.   That is helpful.   Any further info you can get when you can would be appreciated.   

CharlieSixPack
Apprentice
Options

I use this transmitter with my Samsung TV.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V44WM9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

It works fine but if you use the optical TV output you need to set the TV  output to pcm mode (it will not work with Dolby or bitstream).

0 Likes
MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

ThanksCharlieSixPack.  This is helpful.   Thanks.   

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@MartinOH , I did some research myself, and frustratingly couldn't find a USB-related solution that I reckon would work. 

There's Digital Optical to analogue converters, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/optical-analogue-converter/s?k=optical+to+analogue+converter, but nothing that would support a USB audio output connection.

Regarding suitable adaptors to connect it all up, there's very little I could find. These were were the closest I came: https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Audio-Female-Converter-Extention/dp/B00CVLCBMG, and that's for connecting a USB device to a car's AUX, so I couldn't at all say if it would work with a DAC-optical-to-analogue-converter setup. And: https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine-Converter-Toslink-192kHz-24-bit/dp/B0147RHV3K/ref=sr_1_99?dchild=1&k...  , which appears to be more for connecting to a PC.

It's up to you, but if this were me in your shoes, I'd go for an optical port-Bluetooth transmitter solution. 👍

MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

Thanks AntS for doing that research.    Much appreciated.   I have also been doing a bit of searching on line and I think I would agree that a Bluetooth transmitter is the best option.  I shall proceed on this basis.   I have seen a few on Amazon and they get pretty good reviews.   For a non techie like me, its been interesting (while frustrating at times) learning a bit about headphones, adapters, connectors, and bluetooth.   Never realised this aspect  of electronics could be so complex.    Just as well you folks are around.   Thanks again and all the best to you.  Martin

0 Likes
valenc1a
Student
Options

Hi after contacting Samsung and getting zero joy with my headphone jack disintegrated I found this video on you tube. So you need to purchase a digital optical toslink coax to analog l/r rca audio converter £9.99. You plug it into your USB port for power and with it comes with the optical cable plug it into digital optical out on the tv and into the converter. In the sound menu on the tv change the setting from digital to PCM and in speakers change from tv to external speakers. Plug your headphones into the jack on the converter and your up and running. Engineers and Samsung should know this.

MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

Thanks valenc1a.   Really helpful.  Its been a bit of a nightmare so far.   A lot of different solutions proposed but most of them did not work.   For instance, it was suggested firstly that I use a USB headset but then discovered the sound has been cut off from these.  Does not make sense to me that its made so difficult for the customer.    I would think twice before purchasing a Samsung TV again.   But maybe they are all the same?   All the best

0 Likes
valenc1a
Student
Options

Hi 

Are you up and running with your headphones ? Just to help my digi analog converter I purchased on Amazon it comes with all the cables and connections you need. Something I didn't twig at first the optical cable has a plastic cover on each end these need to be removed, they are only to protect the two ends which connect to the TVs and converter. If you search in you tube headphone connection problems, sorry I don't have the link, this Chinese guy shows you just how it all works, he really nails it. Good Luck

MartinOH
Journeyman
Options

Hi.  Yeah works fine.   Thanks again

0 Likes