Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for HGL on 2016 Samsung TV's

(Topic created on: 12-12-2017 04:30 PM)
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I read in  What Hi Fi the Samsung were supporting HGL (another version of HDR) that the BBC are going to use on it's Iplayer platform. On the list from Iplayer for supported TV's there is no mention of any 2016 TV's. This is very worrying, and can you confirm that there will be a firmware update for this. I have contacted your email support and you have not answered this rather important question. 

Thanks

Paul

24 REPLIES 24
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

HLG is not the same tech as HDR and I will try to explain. The idea is for any HLG broadcast to work on any HD tv, which makes it far more attractive to broadcasters, because existing TV's will still work as normal with a HLG broadcast. For HDR you must have a HDR capable TV and non HDR TV's are not able to show HDR formatted broadcasts, as HLG will.

As I said my son has a Panasonic HDR and HLG capable TV. When he watched the Iplayer Planet Earth 2 he told me that the info showed it was in HLG. I asked him to play that sample showed on these forums, and he told me it was showing as HDR not HLG.

They are totally different in the way they work, just as Dolby Vision is different than HDR. On a LG TV the set will tell you which version your are watching, HDR, Dolby Vision, or HLG. This is why I want a pure HLG sample, which is why it is so odd that it can not play the only sample that I know of, which was the Planet Earth 2 on Iplayer. If Panasonic and LG, can do it, why not Samsung. Again just like the Samsung JS models we were told was fully HDR capable and would support HDR10. The first broadcaster of HDR10 was Netflix (Marco Polo), and guess what, it did not support it. Samsung at first blamed Netflix, then they tried to say the TV was never HDR capable (funny it did play HDR samples and Amazon Prime). It was Netflix that told me that the JS models were not compatible, and could not be software updated. They fixed it with the KS models. That is why I take what Samsung say carefully as they have lied to me in the past and tried to blame everyone else. I got a full refund from Curry's for mis selling. Thing is the actual TV's are very good but their support needs serious work, and they must keep promises made about capabilities and updates. They also have the law behind them as it is the retailer who has to refund you not the manufacturer so they can say what they want and leave the mess to their retailers (Curries were a bit annoyed with Samsung as they were also given the run around).

@paul1277 wrote:

Not at all happy with this as its a cop out!!! What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL. Does it mean that all the 2016 TV's will never be able to receive Iplayer HGL?

Why can 2017 TV's receive Iplayer HGL and not 2016 TV's?

How can I check that my 2016 KS9500 does actually do HGL without any other sources, and when HGL was first mentioned in Trusted reveiws it was stated there that only BBC Iplayer were actually going to test and use it so Samsung have known for a long time that it had to be compatible with the 2016 sets. 

Sorry Samsung this is not the confirmation as was asking for as the only player at the moment is BBC Iplayer, which uses HGL and you said last year, your 2016 TV's would be updated to HGL. There was no if and buts about what type or what broadcaster would be supported, and as only Iplayer is using it, it is not unreasonable to expect the TV to work as promised by you with HGL. 

Now be truthful, release a sample so we can test if it actually works and sort out Iplayer support!

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

I've updated the other thread regarding HLG with an official statement *****.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I played the sample   https://youtu.be/tGONRUtwEdo, which did go into HDR mode so if this is a HLG then I except the TV has been updated, but that still does not get them out of not supporting Iplayer HLG.

Thanks

Paul.

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I've downloaded that clip and checked it and can confirm it is a Panasonic GH5 HLG clip at 10-bit.

I still think 2016 models will get updated to support HLG via iPlayer in the longer term, after all these TVs do support HLG, and given iPlayer is many months away from having any other HLG footage except for testing Blue Planet which is then only available for 30 days,  having no support currently on iPlayer for 2016 models isn't much of a hardship.

I would still try and return your TV though given it will not record reliably.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

I've downloaded that clip and checked it and can confirm it is a Panasonic GH5 HLG clip at 10-bit.

I still think 2016 models will get updated to support HLG via iPlayer in the longer term, after all these TVs do support HLG, and given iPlayer is many months away from having any other HLG footage except for testing Blue Planet which is then only available for 30 days,  having no support currently on iPlayer for 2016 models isn't much of a hardship.

I would still try and return your TV though given it will not record reliably.

Regards

Phil

Yes I have tried a few samples of HLG which worked, so I will get off my high horse with that issue, and agree all is OK, except for Iplayer. It is odd though with the first broadcast and Samsung is unable to use it, unlike Panasonic, which is a shame, because I watched the planet earth on my son's TV, and it was very very good.

The recording is another matter, and Samsung are not very helpful. The problem I have is I bought the TV from Amazon last Jan from a third party DA Tech Pro. When the problem came about Amazon said I was past the 120 day A to Z, so would not help. DA TECH said I should contact Samsung and now does not answer any more emails, and there is no contact number that I can find. I can not get a section 75 credit refund because I bought the TV through a third party (Amazon) so loose section 75 protection (which I did not know about, and Amazon do not tell you). So I am only left with firstly Samsung helping, or take DA Tech to court. The first option is the one I had hoped for, they have changed the one connect and main board, but it still only works occasionally. Court is a serious step especially when I can not get hold of DA Tech Pro, and there is no sign of them when I do a search. Thing is you think when buying from Amazon you would be safe for at least the first year but you are not. 

This is why I feel some what let down as this was a retirement gift and I know its not a big issue for the money I would expect to work as advertised and if not would expect Samsung to sort it out quickly. Or am I being unreasonable?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have now come to the conclusion that you can not be trusted to give a proper and truthful support. I can not believe Trusted reviews or what Hi Fi would say you were fully supporting HLG if you were not! As to my issue of it not recording, yes you have changed the main board, I have tried 4 different drive and it still does not work. You have replaced for others, why not for me? As I said in your forums I am a retired firefighter and this was my retirement present for a stress free experience. We could have bought similar for a lot less but we wanted or thought a company like yours we would have no probs. How wrong we were! Its not only the TV not recording but now the lack of HLG support which we thought was a future update. My son did say to buy Panasonic and now I think he may be right (not maybe but was)!  I am not giving up, I am retired and have plenty of time to pass on my bad experience to all that wish to hear.

Paul