Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for HGL on 2016 Samsung TV's

(Topic created on: 11-12-2017 11:07 AM)
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I read in  What Hi Fi the Samsung were supporting HGL (another version of HDR) that the BBC are going to use on it's Iplayer platform. On the list from Iplayer for supported TV's there is no mention of any 2016 TV's. This is very worrying, and can you confirm that there will be a firmware update for this. I have contacted your email support and you have not answered this rather important question. 

Thanks

Paul

24 REPLIES 24
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I am pretty sure Samsung would have know about the HGL test, and I find it very difficult to understand why when they have said they would support 2016 TV's  I have an email from Samsung support saying

"Dear Mr. Lowe,

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is 2110790496.

This is to acknowledge that we have received your email about your TV UE65KS9500.

We appreciate your time in contacting us for assistance and we apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

In regards to your concern, please be advised that the HLG/UHD version of BBC iPlayer documentary series 'Blue Planet II' will only be available on Samsung 2017 UHD (MU) and QLED-Series.

Should there be any updates or changes, Samsung will keep us updated.

Thank you for your understanding and patience on this matter. Have a wonderful day.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support.

Kind regards,

Angel D

Customer Service Representative"

they are just supporting the 2017 models, and not the 2016 even though they said they would last year. It is really not a good way to look after their customers and it would cost them nothing to update their 2016 TV's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

As I posted elsewhere, Samsung never said you would be able to see Blue Planet in UHD did they on 2016 TVs, and all they have confirmed in your reply is that 2016 models will not be showing Blue Planet in UHD, which we already knew as it isn't on the current BBC supported list.  Now that doesn't mean no HLG support will be added to 2016 TVs sometime soon, and clearly Samsung have some compatibility issues to fix on the 2017 models still, which they are prioritising, understandably, as these are the current models.

If it turns out Samsung are not upgrading the 2016 to HLG despite their previous statements saying they would, then you get yourself a nice refund and can buy a new  TV of the latest spec.

Regards

Phil

AntS
Options

Hi all.

I've updated the other thread regarding HLG with an official statement here.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

As I posted elsewhere, Samsung never said you would be able to see Blue Planet in UHD did they on 2016 TVs, and all they have confirmed in your reply is that 2016 models will not be showing Blue Planet in UHD, which we already knew as it isn't on the current BBC supported list.  Now that doesn't mean no HLG support will be added to 2016 TVs sometime soon, and clearly Samsung have some compatibility issues to fix on the 2017 models still, which they are prioritising, understandably, as these are the current models.

If it turns out Samsung are not upgrading the 2016 to HLG despite their previous statements saying they would, then you get yourself a nice refund and can buy a new  TV of the latest spec.

Regards

Phil

Due you work for Samsung?

I agree they never said anything about Blue Planet, but they did say last year that the TV's would support HGL by November this year. As to you saying they are dealing with the 2017 models as a priority, why should that be, are their existing 2016 customers not just as important, and I would have thought their tech department was big enough to deal with both, and they have been dealing with this since last year. What I would like from Samsung is a positive response from them saying that they will support all their 2016 UHD TV's and a time line when the updates are to be released would be nice. 

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Again, I don't work for Samsung.

I believe a moderator has posted the official stance on HLG in that it is supported by 2016 TVs, but not via iPlayer which is something different by the sounds of it. 

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

In response to Samsung saying they will support HGL on 2016 TV's but not BBC Iplayer, but will for 2017 TV's!

Not at all happy with this as its a cop out!!! What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL. Does it mean that all the 2016 TV's will never be able to receive Iplayer HGL?

Why can 2017 TV's receive Iplayer HGL and not 2016 TV's?

How can I check that my 2016 KS9500 does actually do HGL without any other sources, and when HGL was first mentioned in Trusted reveiws it was stated there that only BBC Iplayer were actually going to test and use it so Samsung have known for a long time that it had to be compatible with the 2016 sets. 

Sorry Samsung this is not the confirmation as was asking for as the only player at the moment is BBC Iplayer, which uses HGL and you said last year, your 2016 TV's would be updated to HGL. There was no if and buts about what type or what broadcaster would be supported, and as only Iplayer is using it, it is not unreasonable to expect the TV to work as promised by you with HGL. 

Now be truthful, release a sample so we can test if it actually works and sort out Iplayer support!

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Some cameras support HLG in 4K so footage is readily available.  Try this from YouTube, there is a link to download the original file as well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrX-lcGcVg 

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

Again, I don't work for Samsung.

I believe a moderator has posted the official stance on HLG in that it is supported by 2016 TVs, but not via iPlayer which is something different by the sounds of it. 

Regards

Phil

OK you don't work for them, 

Yes a moderator has posted a typical answer that only asks more questions.

What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL when it seems to be only Iplayer pushing this tech at the moment?

Why does it state it will support 2017 TV's for Iplayer HGL but not 2016 TV's.

They stated that all 2016 TV's would support HGL, but now only 2017 for Iplayer, to me that is a cop out for all the 2016 owners, and away to break their promise as HGL should work were ever it is broadcast from, if the TV has the update.

How can I test if I actually have the HGL update if I can not test it on Iplayer who are the only one's broadcastion it. 

Why are they only supporting 2017 TV's and not 2016 TV's as they promised, and I mean in respect to Iplayer, because again they are the only broadcaster.

This reminds me of their so called fully HDR 10 support with their JS models, when Netflix started broadcasting, the JS models could not receive it and could not be updated. I took mine back and got a full refund from PC World for miss selling. My son bought a Panasonic which last year could receive Iplayer HGL when they did the 2 min test. So one of the things I was looking for was this HGL support and I read in Trusted reviews that all Samsung TV's would support it (nothing about no support for Iplayer, which they should have stated they were not supporting). So I am still think that this is mis selling and the statemnt was sent out to muddy and confuse us owners. I am not confused but annoyed, and feel very let down, after buying an expensive TV with the latest tech and so called update to HGL promised!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Not at all happy with this as its a cop out!!! What is the difference between Iplayer HGL and HGL. Does it mean that all the 2016 TV's will never be able to receive Iplayer HGL?

Why can 2017 TV's receive Iplayer HGL and not 2016 TV's?

How can I check that my 2016 KS9500 does actually do HGL without any other sources, and when HGL was first mentioned in Trusted reveiws it was stated there that only BBC Iplayer were actually going to test and use it so Samsung have known for a long time that it had to be compatible with the 2016 sets. 

Sorry Samsung this is not the confirmation as was asking for as the only player at the moment is BBC Iplayer, which uses HGL and you said last year, your 2016 TV's would be updated to HGL. There was no if and buts about what type or what broadcaster would be supported, and as only Iplayer is using it, it is not unreasonable to expect the TV to work as promised by you with HGL. 

Now be truthful, release a sample so we can test if it actually works and sort out Iplayer support!

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

I've updated the other thread regarding HLG with an official statement here.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Tezz wrote:

I've just streamed a HLG file from my NAS to my KS9500 UK and it played great in HLG\HDR.

http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/

I don't know if that helps anyone?

Will give it a go, wish Samsung would supply some samples HLG samples and if they work then great. Bit worried as the sample says HDR/HLG, so how do you know if it is actually playing HLG?

No proves nothing as it shows playing HDR sample not HLG. As I said we need a HLG sample only from Samsung and until we have one how can we be certain the TV supports HLG as Samsung says. 

I don't always believe what Samsung say, and I like things confirmed. They released a message on these forums saying the 2016 UHD TV's did support HLG so prove it with a sample please. They have UHD and HDR samples, so giving us a HLG sample should not be to difficult. That will put all our minds at rest, or make us more concernned if no sample is forth comong.

0 Likes