Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for HGL on 2016 Samsung TV's

(Topic created on: 08-12-2017 12:35 PM)
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I read in  What Hi Fi the Samsung were supporting HGL (another version of HDR) that the BBC are going to use on it's Iplayer platform. On the list from Iplayer for supported TV's there is no mention of any 2016 TV's. This is very worrying, and can you confirm that there will be a firmware update for this. I have contacted your email support and you have not answered this rather important question. 

Thanks

Paul

24 REPLIES 24
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

It's not as if they have to pay any loyalty payment like with Dolby Vision, its a free to use format. With the dealings I have had with Samsung I have a horrid feeling that they will use it to get people to upgrade, even though they did inform What hi fi that the 2016 TV's would support it. I will try to get that confirmed by What hi fi.

I have asked for a copy of the article from What HI FI, which I have said.

Hi, sorry to trouble you but I read in your magazine last summer an article that said Samsung were going to update via firmware to HGL support, which Iplayer have announced they will be using. Now Iplayer are broadcasting Planet 2 in UHD and HGL this month, they have also given a list of compatible TV's. Panasonic 2016 TV's are there but no mention of Samsung 2016 TV's, just their 2017 TV's. I was hoping you could supply me with the article and who it came from to try to persuade Samsung to honour it's promises as I think some customers mat have been influenced (me included) by that decision and also did Samsung give you false information, which again could have influenced there decision and knowingly gave false information that you printed in good in good faith, which I would have thought may be quite serious. I have contacted Samsung support over this issue but have had no reply, which also tells me something.

Thanks,

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
terryo wrote:

It seems loyalty is a one way street as far as Samsung are concerned. This will come back to bite them.

There is one thing I think Samsung may not have thought of and that is the 2015 European Consumer Regulations. It clearly states that an item has to met its description as advertised, if not it is classed as miss selling under those regs ( it's worth reading as it is laid out in normal speak not law speak ). I returned a Samsung JS8000 that when I asked if it was fully HDR and was told at Curries that it was, and then found a few months later it could not play Netflix HDR, after some argument over miss selling and a threat of court I received a full refund. 

Same here, if any one bought a Samsung 2016 TV and had read that article anywhere (  I saw it in What HI FI) and it influenced your decision and you can show that article, then you would have a case of miss selling under those regs. The regs are there to protect us against any company makeing false claims about their products in any forum  ( don't know how some face creams get away with it ).  So Samsung I will be posting this everywhere I can think of, if you do not honour you promise to update 2016 TV's with HGL update. It will not cost you anything as there are no royalty fee's for HGL, and you do not really want to show how greedy you are as a company if you do not up date us, which will also show and how you treat your customers. 

If you agree please thumbs up me.

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

This says that Samsung comfirm all their 2016 TV's will havea software update for their 2016 models. That is also classeed as advertising and certainly helped make mt decission to but a Samsung!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
This says that Samsung all their 2016 TV's will have software update for their 2016 models. That is also classed as advertising and certainly helped make mt decision to but a Samsung!

This 
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

This was in trusted reveiws in Dec 2016

HLG is currently included in the ITU-R BT.2100 specification for programme production and exchange. It’s expected to be ratified into the DVB specification before the end of the year, at which point broadcasters and screen manufacturers can begin to firm up road maps. But where does that leave TV buyers in the meantime. Can you expect 4K screens bought today to be firmware updateable? 

We put out a call. Understandably, currently TV manufacturers have little to say on the subject as yet. Only Samsung, out of all those polled, maintained that all its UHD HDR 2016 models could be firmware updated to support HLG. “All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs will be firmware upgradeable to support Hybrid Log-Gamma broadcast HDR once it is widely available,” we were told emphatically.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378#qFEXGXyYaYjuoUs7.99

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

HLG is currently included in the ITU-R BT.2100 specification for programme production and exchange. It’s expected to be ratified into the DVB specification before the end of the year, at which point broadcasters and screen manufacturers can begin to firm up road maps. But where does that leave TV buyers in the meantime. Can you expect 4K screens bought today to be firmware updateable? 

We put out a call. Understandably, currently TV manufacturers have little to say on the subject as yet. Only Samsung, out of all those polled, maintained that all its UHD HDR 2016 models could be firmware updated to support HLG. “All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs will be firmware upgradeable to support Hybrid Log-Gamma broadcast HDR once it is widely available,” we were told emphatically.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378#qFEXGXyYaYjuoUs7.99

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Funny how LG and Panasonic are both showing support for their 2016 (Panasonic 2015) models.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
I asked Samsung support over this HGL support and here is their reply,
Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is 2110790496.
This is to acknowledge that we have received your email about your TV UE65KS9500.
We appreciate your time in contacting us for assistance and we apologise for the delay in getting back to you.
In regards to your concern, please be advised that the HLG/UHD version of BBC iPlayer documentary series 'Blue Planet II' will only be available on Samsung 2017 UHD (MU) and QLED-Series.
Should there be any updates or changes, Samsung will keep us updated.
Thank you for your understanding and patience on this matter. Have a wonderful day.
If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support.
Kind regards,
Angel D
Customer Service Representative

And my reply,

So is it true that you are not going to update 2016 Samsung UHD TV's as you informed trusted reviews in Dec 2016. 

HLG is currently included in the ITU-R BT.2100 specification for programme production and exchange. It’s expected to be ratified into the DVB specification before the end of the year, at which point broadcasters and screen manufacturers can begin to firm up road maps. But where does that leave TV buyers in the meantime. Can you expect 4K screens bought today to be firmware updateable? 
If you are reneging on this promise, and advertising you were going to update all your 2016 UHD TV's then that is a clear case of mis selling under the 2015 European Consumer Regs, that it must do as advertised. There fore you released a statement to trusted reviews saying you be fully supporting HGL in all your 2016 TV's. 
If you are not going to update our 2016 TV's which was an added reason why I bought your TV was because I had read of your commitment to HGL support, which if you have now changed your mind constitutes mis selling under those regs, and I will certainly be going back to my retailer, PC World for a full refund.

Please all Samsung 2016 UHD owners start lobbying for what Samsung promised to do, but looks like they want to take more money from us for what is a free update to them.
0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

HLG isn't yet widely available and iPlayer Blue Planet is sort of an initial test of the format on a wider selection of TVs, it doesn't mean the 2016 models are never getting the update, and there may be no more HLG content on iPlayer for many months to come after this anyway.

Maybe the BBC list wasn't complete, has anyone tried playing it yet on a 2016 model?

Of course if it doesn't become available on these models and people believe they have been mis-sold it would only be right that people pursue refunds, however it is still very early days for the format.

Edit: I've just tried watching on my Q7F QLED TV that's in the supported list and it isn't offering UHD, I checked the BBC page and even for 2017 models it isn't yet supported and has this note:

"Please note that Samsung devices listed are awaiting an imminent firmware update to support our UHD streams and may not be updated in time for the release of Blue Planet II in UHD on Sunday 10 December."

Regards

Phil

0 Likes