Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Subtitle Dimming QN90a

(Topic created on: 01-11-2021 10:29 AM)
Lollypop999
Apprentice
Options

Hello owners of QN90a series,

When watching a HDR movie with the subtitles on, and especially when they are shown on black bars. i have noticed that screen brightens and dims just above the black bar area.

See the video here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqXvA18DDDj6ifJMDgHNaoVCeCBLIA?e=1xiVQi 

Pay close attention to when he says: "i cant handle her". When the subtitle appears, the area above black bar brightens and then dims down. Is this normal? I have seen this happening in a lot in many HDR movies. Netflix and Amazon prime show subtitles in the lower middle section of the screen and the subtitles have borders around them so not so much of a problem. But movies played through usb or streamed subtitles on black bars shows the problem. 

It happens when the subtitle is displayed in black bar area only. if I move the position of the subtitle above black bar, it is fine. I have tried turning motion, local dimming and contrast enhancer off, but no improvement. I have tested playing this movie using Samsung own player, through fire stick and through apple TV, same behavior with all these devices. I think it needs fixing? or what can we do about it? 

Overall i like the tv but this thing is driving me crazy and there is no response from Samsung on this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lollypop999
Apprentice
Options

a year had passed but no fix means this is never going to be addressed..

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
raschi78
First Poster
Options

Same thing happens on my QN92A. Drives me crazy.

When watching content with black bars, the TV dims the part of the picture close to the black bars too much.
So when subtitles appear in the black bar area, the whole bottom part of the picture suddenly brightens.

Very distracting.

Lollypop999
Apprentice
Options

I agree and it drove me so much crazy. No response or fix from Samsung so i returned the tv 😞

slx
Pioneer
Options

Got the same issue on 2020 QE75Q950T 8K QLED. Especially when using internal apps this issue is very visible with every overlay text or playback bar that is shown, e.g. with Netflix app. When watching Netflix using my NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV via HDMI, it is a lot better, but also peak brightness is lower then.

InverseEffectFTG
First Poster
Options

I found having Gamemode turned on even for movies reduced the stuttering and made the overall picture brighter for me in HDR Content. Subtitle dimming is a issue i can't fix. Would be a flawless TV otherwise.

0 Likes
DannyT
Options

Could you all make sure you've updated to the latest software version? On another thread, they stated that after updating the issue was fixed. Check out that thread here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q90t-subtitle-dimming-finally-fixed/td-p/2089586

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
Jl27
Apprentice
Options

@DannyT wrote:

Could you all make sure you've updated to the latest software version? On another thread, they stated that after updating the issue was fixed. Check out that thread here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q90t-subtitle-dimming-finally-fixed/td-p/2089586

I have it as well, qn93a running latest firmware, on all picture modes.

It happens when the subtitles are in the black bar. The lower part of the film (above the black bar) flashes bright and then dims down again. Every time anyone speaks. It's incredibly distracting. Some films/scenes are worse than others.

A good example is in Blade Runner 2049 on the apple tv app. The bar conversation in the sepia wasteland scene. Horrible.

Too bad I only watched 16:9 content during the return window. If we don't see an update I'm not going anywhere near samsung again in the future, HDR movies are unwatchable.

Edit: it's probably because the dimming algorithm darkens the lower part of the image to prevent black border blooming. Whenever a subtitle pops in it toggles back into 16:9 mode, lighting up the whole row of dimming zones.

Please fix this, all samsung apps put the subtitles in the black bar and it drives me insane. I didn't buy a tv to avoid watching movies...

0 Likes
Solution
Lollypop999
Apprentice
Options

a year had passed but no fix means this is never going to be addressed..

0 Likes
Jl27
Apprentice
Options

That's nice. I live in a country where everyone watches with translation subs so I won't be able to sell a brand new TV anywhere near its purchase price without getting angry calls back. First and last samsung. I should have read forums instead of reviews.

0 Likes
seeknfind
Student
Options

Same (very annoying) issue on my newly bought, otherwise flawless, QN92AATXXC (55").

TV's firmware is 2101.0

Samsung website's firmware update for this model appears to be the same 2101.0, so I assume there is no use updating it.

Does anyone know, if this is the original factory firmware, meaning that Samsung did not yet issued a update/fix? Or is it already an update, which still contains the same annoying glitch?

Have some one may be found a temporal walkaround for this via settings?

It would be nice if Samsung staff would tell the community if/when this issue will be addressed. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes