Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

STVPlayer App for UE40D5520RKXXU

(Topic created on: 20-03-2018 10:44 AM)
AndyDOHD
First Poster
Options

Hi,
I have a UE40D5520RKXXU. I am unable to find  the STV Player app to watch catchup for Scottish Television programmes. I wondered whether there was such an app for my specific television model?

13 REPLIES 13
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AndyDOHDwrote:

Hi,
I have a UE40D5520RKXXU. I am unable to find  the STV Player app to watch catchup for Scottish Television programmes. I wondered whether there was such an app for my specific television model?

Hi @AndyDOHD,   STV Player won't be pre installed but if you search  Apps you  should be  be able to download it. I found it in 2017 just by entering S  ,do have a more modern MU model  but also got it fine  previously on a 2013 Samsung set.   The app became available on the Samsung platform in 2013 http://whttp://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a484525/stv-player-now-available-on-samsung-smart-tv/ww.... The app will ask for your postcode and if indeed in Scotland then will work fine.  I would ensure you have the latest firmware and if not coming up OTA download to USB, however  last update appears to have been a while ago, June 2015.  http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40D5520RKXXU    However as  has been pointed out your model  predates 2013  seems it may not be available directly on your TV.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Solution
7alhoul
Navigator
Options

Hi,

I do not think the stvplayer is available on your UE40D5520RKXXU since several apps do not work anymore, but to be sure you can check on samsung apps on the smart hub but if the app is not available then there is no possibility for install the STVPLAYER.

AntS
Options

Hi guys. :robothappy:

Did a bit of digging on this. There's some info on the STV Player app on their site here, where it says it's available for 2013-2017 Samsung Smart TV's. A UE40D5520RKXXU is from 2011. However, that list on the STV site gives other devices you can connect to your TV to still get the app.

Ken01
Student
Options

Reference a previous exchange about non availability of STV Playeron certain Samsung TVs with inbuilt Freesat. Mine is a UE32ES8300, and I cannot get STV Player current version V3, I only have V2 from 2016. I have checked with STV and they say the problem is most likely because the Smart Hub won't/can't download V3.

I've tried the Samsung apps 'store' on the Smart Hub, and I've tried a soft reset, which worked last year when BBC iPlayer was updated. Why can Samsung not support the latest version of STV Player, when ITV Hub works (but then does not permit access to programmes because we're in Scotland served by STV)?

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Ken01 wrote:

Reference a previous exchange about non availability of STV Playeron certain Samsung TVs with inbuilt Freesat. Mine is a UE32ES8300, and I cannot get STV Player current version V3, I only have V2 from 2016. I have checked with STV and they say the problem is most likely because the Smart Hub won't/can't download V3.

I've tried the Samsung apps 'store' on the Smart Hub, and I've tried a soft reset, which worked last year when BBC iPlayer was updated. Why can Samsung not support the latest version of STV Player, when ITV Hub works (but then does not permit access to programmes because we're in Scotland served by STV)?

Think it is a limitation of your  set though you should ensure you have the latest firmware in any case,  I cannot find the exact model via Samsung support  but the 2nd E indicates it is  2012 model  Flatpanel-2012 Samsung Models.      Situation with ITV Player is to do with rights issue, they only  make  ITV2, ITV3, ITVBe, ITV4 and CITV available with Scottish postcode inserted. Sky/Virgin though have ITV player for all areas on their service,though at times some shows not available there.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Ken01
Student
Options

Thanks James, you're right about 2012. Hmmmmph! At least we can get it via internet on tablet.

big51
First Poster
Options

How can I install stv.player

0 Likes
big51
First Poster
Options

Where do I find the Samsung app on my t.v.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@big51 wrote:

Where do I find the Samsung app on my t.v.

Hi @big51  As explained earlier the STV Player app is available on Samsung Smart sets from 2013 onwards, as long as you reside in the Broadcast regions.  If the app is not pre installed it should you should be able to install it via a search.

Full instructions for activation are shown here:

STV Player-Activation 

0 Likes