Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange noise at low volume on TU8500 TV

(Topic created on: 18-03-2021 02:46 PM)
rjvc68
Journeyman
Options

I recently got a Samsung TU8500 50 inch TV and am overall extremely pleased with it. The only thing I have noticed is that when playing the sound through the TV speakers, when I reduce the volume to 1 or 2, I can hear a noise that sounds like wind on a microphone.  It is not very loud, but still noticeable.  When the volume is at 10 you can still hear it if you are close to the tv but over that volume when watching TV you cant hear it and it is hidden by the programme sound (unless the programme is particularly silent.  If I mute the tv the noise goes away. I was wondering if this is normal or if there is an issue with the TV or how I can fix it?

Thanks

164 REPLIES 164
EGuitarStar
Journeyman
Options

Glad Samsung are acknowledging the issue and you've had someone attempt to fix or remedy the issue.

I only found the issue impacted me when the volume on the TV was between 1-6, anything beyond this and I was not able to hear it. And the issue did not present itself when using a sound bar.

DevilsReject
Explorer
Options

Hi guys, this is my experience from contacting Samsung support today.

They said: “Samsung is aware of this kind of issue on your TV model code. Background on the e“noise” can be heard from the speakers when listening at very low volume levels it is caused by software issue. Please be advised that this issue will be resolved by a future software update, and for now we cannot do something about it as the only solution is a future software update. I hope you understand”

I’m actually quite shocked I didn’t have an argument on my hands and a lot of unhelpful testing/changes via remote support. I have a sound bar I can use though it’s not ideal when I should be able to listen at low volumes at night without having to resort to extra sound equipment. It’s the principle that it’s a defect I shouldn’t have to put up with, and as others have said, once you hear it you can’t unhear it. If anyone has an engineer and wants to replicate the issue clearly I would suggest playing YouTube video https://youtu.be/q76bMs-NwRk and switch between volume 5 and mute and then turn it up to see it fade away. This is a rainfall video so no other sounds. If you report it I would suggest you also indicate it happens on all source inputs, and doesn’t occur on any other Tv’s in your house, and is not interference, in case you have a service agent who wants to say there is nothing wrong. It is very hit and miss with who you get. I had an issue two years ago with our expensive Q7C Tv whereby Prime wouldn’t work, they wouldn’t believe me, saying it must be something to do with my network (I tried bai WiFi on my mobile hotspot and it still happens) but months later they agreed to replace the tv and low and behold it worked fine on the new tv.

As I have the sound bar I will hold off fiddling with settings and keep an eye out for USB software updates on their site ( urgently 1460.9 doesn’t fix it). For the price of the tv the picture quality is really good and I have no other quibbles for the price, and would rather have this issue that another tv with picture issues, but I still shouldn’t have to accept a faulty product.

someone above mentioned judder. There could be a number of things doing this that are not the tv, for example an Apple TV connected with frame rate not set to match etc. Also despite popular belief, don’t be told. It to increase your sharp,ends, I find on this tv that on a low setting it’s virtually not 4k, just increase it enough to avoid issues. On my Q7C it’s on 100 and you might think woooah, but I know what I’m doing and on that tv 4k pops brilliantly without any issues or artefacts or struggles, whereas a default setting is mediocre. 

Pedro Correia
Apprentice
Options

Unfortunately after the Samsung support tweaked the settings, the issue still keeps happening, the "background noise" it's a little bit lower but it's there 😥 I'm not being paranoid, my girlfriend says the same about the noise.

I called the store and they will send a technician to check the TV and then only after that, they will decide if I can return it or not... hope everything goes well (or I'll just have to buy a soundbar, if they refuse it). I'm not asking too much, I just want a TV that sounds fine at volume "1, 2, 3 or 100" 😅 

I don't even want the money back, just the credit to buy another TV in the same store. I really like the TV, if this was an issue with this specific hardware, I would just switch to another TV of the same model.

I'm a happy Samsung customer, from mobile phones to TV sets, I had multiple Samsung hardware, this was the first time that I had an issue with this brand.

0 Likes
Ian Price
Explorer
Options

I've had a TU8500 yesterday direct from Samsung and noticed straight away the "whoosh" sounds at low volumes. 😟

0 Likes
Ian Price
Explorer
Options

Ive just contacted Samsung Help UK via DM on twitter now and they will send me a usb firmware update which will fix the issue. update from 1465.4  to 1469.0  😀

EGuitarStar
Journeyman
Options

Glad to know that they are providing you with a permanent fix. Let us know how you get on.

Did they indicate or say when this new firmware would be released to the public or available as an update on our TV sets?

QE50Q60T User
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Ian for the update.  I have same issue on QE50Q60T so have been following all the threads on this issue very carefully.  Please let us know what happens.

Fingers crossed for you.

0 Likes
Ian Price
Explorer
Options

Yes will let you know how it goes! I asked about general release and the reply I got was...

"The updated firmware should be available soon, but we're unable to specify a specific date for this just at the moment. In the meantime, we've requested that an updated USB be sent out to you containing the latest software, and this will be with you in the next few days."

0 Likes
QE50Q60T User
Journeyman
Options

Hmmm,  Thanks Ian for the info that the firmware is on the website.  I was not sure which firmware I have but my software version is 'T-NKLDEUC-1460.9' -   so I am assuming the 1460.9 part refers to the firmware you mention below.  In which case I already have it.  And I still have the problem.  so a bit deflated now.   But you mention you already have the later version v1465.4 so wouldn't that be better than the earlier version?

"Having said that, If you look here.. https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE50TU8500UXXU/   The Upgrade file for 1460.9 is there to download!  It's also 1460.9 that they are going to send me! (as I have v1465.4) I'll wait until I get the USB from them and install it (incase the version they have is slightly different?!)  Have you tried to extract 1460.9 from the link above onto usb and update?"

0 Likes
Ian Price
Explorer
Options

Hi. Ignore me, sorry I got confused with all the versions! I edited my post shortly after posting it...!

Im on 1465.4  and the usb will update me to to 1469.0

0 Likes