Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange noise at low volume on TU8500 TV

(Topic created on: 16-11-2020 08:53 AM)
rjvc68
Journeyman
Options

I recently got a Samsung TU8500 50 inch TV and am overall extremely pleased with it. The only thing I have noticed is that when playing the sound through the TV speakers, when I reduce the volume to 1 or 2, I can hear a noise that sounds like wind on a microphone.  It is not very loud, but still noticeable.  When the volume is at 10 you can still hear it if you are close to the tv but over that volume when watching TV you cant hear it and it is hidden by the programme sound (unless the programme is particularly silent.  If I mute the tv the noise goes away. I was wondering if this is normal or if there is an issue with the TV or how I can fix it?

Thanks

164 REPLIES 164
Andy298
First Poster
Options

Just out of interest, how is his soundbar connected? Bluetooth or optical? 

0 Likes
Mark211
First Poster
Options

I have a q60t and had the same problem with the strange noise. I randomly reset the TV today and it seems to have resolved the issue, time will tell if its a permanent fix or not. Worth trying though

0 Likes
Andy298
First Poster
Options

I tried that to no avail. I'd arranged a swap with Richer Sounds, but I actually like the TV and didn't want to go through the hassle of a swap for a model I wasn't keen on. I was going to buy a soundbar anyway so I'm now using a Sonos Beam through HDMI-ARC and no longer have the issue. The issue must be with the speakers, and /or the board they're connected to and how the sound is processed.

0 Likes
CoatesieUK
Explorer
Options

I am nearly at an end with this whole saga....

I managed to get an uplift reference number from Samsung which allows me to return the TV for a full refund from where I purchased.  To be fair, Samsung have admitted it's an issue with some (not all) of the sets and are working on a fix and therefore cannot guarantee that I will have the same issue if I replace with the same model.

Now, since I purchased the TV the price has dropped £250, and there is currently an offer of 50% off a sound bar if purchased with a TV.  So I have ordered the same set and added on the HW-Q70T - overall, once i've claimed the 50% back for the sound bar, it will cost me £50 more, but I will have far better sound than I would have with the TV on it's own.

0 Likes
MLT
First Poster
Options

I had an engineer out today.  Attempted to do some background changes, left before I could ascertain if the problem had been resolved.  It hasn't and is very frustrating.  Back on the phone to samsung this evening and they know that this is an issue and are working on a fix.  I don't hold out much hope.  They'll be on to their 2021 series in a few weeks. 

Does anyone also have a problem with internet connected channels in the UK... like those on 250+ on freeview?  

0 Likes
yadayadayada
First Poster
Options

Bought a 50TU8505 last week and got the same problem. tech support is asking me to record a video of the problem. Pretty difficult considering it's only noticeable at low volumes and my phone microphone sucks.

Big shame considering I really liked the TV for its price. Maybe I'll refund and go for the 55" version.

0 Likes
Voltage_84
First Poster
Options

I bought an 50TU8502 2 months ago. It has the very same problem. I contacted Samsung, they demanded a video and then they replied almost 3 weeks ago that my problem was forwarded to technicians. I am going to ping them today as they did not reply ever since.

Does the 55 inch version not have this sound issue? 

0 Likes
DamianoC
First Poster
Options

Bought mine this morning.Tomorrow i 'll call the store and ask for a refound.

0 Likes
Scott1994
First Poster
Options

I've just bought the this model and I'm hearing the same thing, out of curiosity has anyone got a soundbar and does this kinda fix the issue if I play the TV sound through that rather than TV speakers. I'm just wondering if this is a potential work around before I need to go down the engineers path

0 Likes
RobinThang
First Poster
Options

I experienced the same issue on my newly bought Q60T 50". However, after a few factory resets and making sure the TV detected and identified my HDMI connected devices (Chromecast Ultra & Nintendo Switch) correctly during the setup the issue is gone.

0 Likes