Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange noise at low volume on TU8500 TV

(Topic created on: 20-09-2020 08:30 AM)
rjvc68
Journeyman
Options

I recently got a Samsung TU8500 50 inch TV and am overall extremely pleased with it. The only thing I have noticed is that when playing the sound through the TV speakers, when I reduce the volume to 1 or 2, I can hear a noise that sounds like wind on a microphone.  It is not very loud, but still noticeable.  When the volume is at 10 you can still hear it if you are close to the tv but over that volume when watching TV you cant hear it and it is hidden by the programme sound (unless the programme is particularly silent.  If I mute the tv the noise goes away. I was wondering if this is normal or if there is an issue with the TV or how I can fix it?

Thanks

164 REPLIES 164
CoatesieUK
Explorer
Options

This is getting to be a major annoyance now.  Installed the firmware update, no difference.  Engineers came yesterday and as I was working they replaced the speakers whilst my wife was there.  20 minutes later I heard them leave.  Excellent!  Asides from the fact that when I went to the TV and switched it on they clearly had not remedied the issue (they even said they had a new main board to fit if replacing the speakers didn't work).  They didn't bother to ask me or my wife to check, just replaced and left.  Then in the evening I get an email from Samsung delighted in the fact that my repair had been complete!  So, they are coming back again next week.

0 Likes
Nige1
Explorer
Options

I have the same issue, started after a few days.  I'm now waiting for a call back from Samsung tech support.

0 Likes
Chris2806
First Poster
Options

I have this exact same problem with the Q60 which I've just bought - it's very audible and distracting. Let me know how you get on fixing it please.

0 Likes
CoatesieUK
Explorer
Options

They came back again yesterday, replaced the main board, no difference.  I've contacted the supplier and they've told me to contact Samsung to get an "uplift reference number" to enable them to either replace or give a full refund.  I will do this today and will do some research into a different model or manufacturer largely due to the fact that the price dropped by £200 3 weeks after I bought it, so would prefer a full refund and to be quite honest I just don't want to have the same issue on a replacement.

0 Likes
SteveS1
Apprentice
Options

We had an engineer out earlier in the week. He initially tried to blame the Virgin Media box, but I showed him the issue goes away if I play the sound through a small Bluetooth speaker we have. 

He’s coming back next week with new speakers and motherboard. Will let you know if it works!

0 Likes
CoatesieUK
Explorer
Options

From what i've seen where people have had this issue there doesn't seem to be a remedy.  It's so annoying that a company like Samsung can have this and not do anything about it (and also engineers that either don't care or try to blame anything except the unit)

0 Likes
Shaun1971
First Poster
Options

Hi, did you get your sound issue fixed ?

Got my Samsung Tu8507 50 inch from Currys about a month ago & noticed this strange sound at low volume after the first week. 

0 Likes
Casperl
First Poster
Options

Brand new Q60T, same problem - almost like a whooshing sound on lower volume (anything below 10-11).
It is very noticable and extremely annoying.
The built-in sound test does not produce the sound, and muting the TV also immediately stops the sound.
I am going to return the TV ASAP.

0 Likes
noz
Student
Options

Same issue here on 50 inch TU8500 that's a week old. Decided to return it as having read the above it might not be a one off on my unit but a more widespread problem and I don't want to have to deal with it if it comes back again or outside of warranty.

Hawk12
First Poster
Options

Same problem on my TU8500 50" had for 2 months now been in contact with samsung about 10 times in that period, was told to try various things none of which worked also one of the call agents remotely dialled onto my TV set and did a smart hub and factory reset which made no change. Was at this point  I pointed out that I'm not the only one with this issue and they should check their own website. Which to that they said they would need time to investigate the issue and i have been waiting for samsung to get back to me with some sort of resolution ever since. unfortunately when you speak to them they keep saying we need time to look into it and will call back in a week and then one week turned into three.  three turns into four before you know it  2 months have gone by. They have never got back to me, I have kept chasing them, and am now extremely frustrated. Now I can't return to the retailer as out of the 28 day period.

Come on samsung you clearly no this model has a problem, as you have been made aware by everyone on this site, and you have sent engineers out to customers to fix this problem, with no success.

I strongly believe this is a batch issue or a manufacturing problem which is on a large number of sets which people probably haven't noticed yet or may never notice due to them having soundbars connected to their sets.

Samsung you need to get into contact with everyone on this site with a recall or fix.