Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadic black screen with Xbox One X

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 05:07 PM)
enurweb
Explorer
Options

I have a 1 year old Samsung 75" QLED QE75Q8DNATXXC and decided 3 weeks ago to treat myself to a brand new Xbox One X console.

Plugged the console directly into the TV HDMI 4 port (ARC) (later changed to HDMI 3) even though I don't have a receiver to use and started playing. Worked great in full 4K with HDR enabled for about 4-5 days.

THEN and ever since those first glory days I've been having these sporadic black screens that last 1-3 seconds before picture comes back. I also loose sound during those seconds.

The game still runs in the background and so far I have only been playing Star Wars Fallen Order and a known football game 20. I imagine playing a racing game or COD Warzone would be fun when the TV "blacks out" for a few seconds...

For me it's totally random when it happens. More often is after some "warm up time" but it can also happen after just 1 minute after starting a game. From there the black screen can occur every 10 seconds to every 10 minutes. Totally random again.

I am in contact with Xbox support here in Norway. They are very helpfull actually and are open for exchanging my Xbox but after I took my Xbox to a friends house to test it on his 4K TV there was no black screen for 3 hours straight playing. We even tried covering the Xbox up a bit with pillows to trigger a heat reaction. Xbox did not mess up at his house at all even under big stress testing. Also running with HDR by the way and same original Xbox HDMI cable.

I got back home and tried the same evening on my 75 inch Samsung. Black screen triggered after 3 minutes. Darn!

Like most others I've tried it all.

- 8 bit and 10 bit on Xbox.

- Turning off HDR on the Xbox.

- 1440 resolution on the Xbox.

- Switching HDMI cables from original Xbox one to another certified 4K cable.

- Power cycling the Xbox.

- Resetting the Xbox.

- Game mode on and off.

- Changed from HDMI 4 to HDMI 3 port

- Resetting the TV.

- With possibly another 20 tricks I won't even mention.

I miss those 4-5 first days that for some unknown reason worked perfectly.

After testing with my friends TV I contacted Norwgian Samsung customer support which ironically had Swedish employees that for sure hate their jobs.

The told me to reset the TV and if that didn't work they would consider remote accessing the TV.

Well... Reading numerours forum threads both here, on Microsoft, on Reddit and so on.. That will not do anything Samsung!

Address the issue! I paid in todays market $3000 for this TV and NO! I don't believe it's an Xbox fault anymore.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
AndrewL
Options
@enurweb: Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Do you have any other external devices connected to your TV? If so, can you try switching these off and disconnecting them temporarily before you power on the Xbox One X, just to see if there's any potential signal inputs that might be interfering with your connection?
0 Likes
enurweb
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL: I have one a computer using DisplayPort to HDMI connection in my HDMI 2 port of the TV. Computer is never on while Xbox is on but sure I will give it a try aswell.

Also there are two active speakers that doesn't ned an amplifier og receiver. They are just there to use instead of built in speakers in the TV. They are connected to Digital Audio Out (optical) port.

Will I need to also unplug speakers?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@enurweb: To rule out any external connections as a source of the issue, I'd recommend disconnecting the speakers as well, although admittedly they are less likely to be the culprit. Let me know how you get on.
0 Likes
enurweb
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL I will be sure to test this theory out properly.

With a pregnant girl friend there is limited time to test so I only got in about 20-30 minutes yesterday testing and actually without and black screen.

I'm cautiously optimistic but keeping in mind the first 4-5 "glory days" even with computer on HDMI2 plugged in it needs a lot more testing before I can say it's working properly. Those first days makes no sence if this is the problem.

Even though if this is indeed the problem and sort of the "solution" isn't it a bit strange that I would need to unplug other external devices to have a working Xbox on 4K with HDR? I mean, my TV isn't the cheapest option out there.

Since you jumped straight to this type of thing to test I can assume it's a known problem regarding Xbox One and possibly PS4 running 4K with HDR active?

In that case I would be very interessted if this indeed does "fix" my problem if there is a way to keep my computer connected to HDMI2 and still have a working Xbox One on 4K with HDR.

Will it be like the TV cycles the HDMI channels for signal and start on HDMI1, HDMI2 and so on before it gets to my Xbox which is on HDMI3? By moving the Xbox to HDMI1 might fix it permanent even with computer on HDMI2?

0 Likes
enurweb
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL : I have had a bit of time three days in a row now to test the setup leaving out the connection of the computer on HDMI2. The good news is that the black random screen is gone. Allthough there is still a small "clicking" noise from the TV itself when the black screen normally occurs. I'm still very happy to see the TV not blacking out right now.

That been said though. Refering to the post above I do believe this is a known issue as you jumped straight to that thing for me to test. And I think most people would agree it's highly impracticable to have to unplug all other HDMI cables each time you want to use your Xbox and possibly PS4 on my TV model. It still remains an expensive TV and I have never experienced that kind of "hot fix" before on my other TV's.

TV is still just over 1 year old and under warranty.

0 Likes
Rowley
First Poster
Options

Andrew cancan you help? I cant see the neat lines addon in Samsung Notes? Only the easy handwriting pad 

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @enurweb We had someone else with a similar issue and this was resolved by changing the refresh rate in the Xbox Settings from 50 to 60Hz. Can you try this?

0 Likes
enurweb
Explorer
Options

@CarlH The Xbox is by default set to 60Hz.

Running 4K with HDR and 60Hz.

Also tried the 8 bit (default) and 10 bit option.

0 Likes
enurweb
Explorer
Options

@AndrewL please advice to my recent posts

0 Likes