Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spdif volume control bug

(Topic created on: 16-08-2021 07:48 PM)
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

Hi have a 2020 55 Frame and a Denon AVR. As the Denon is a bit older, it does not support HDMI-ARC, so I am feeding it via spdif.

I mostly use an Apple TV for input, connected directly to the Frame.

Here’s my problem…, when I control the volume using the Apple TV remote or the Denon remote, it works flawlessly.

When I control the volume with the Frame’s remote, about half the time, it “sticks”. Meaning, if I press the volume up, then TV sends volume up to the Denon for 60 seconds. Same things for volume down.

it is actually the tv sending the signal. If I remove the batteries from the TV remote, the signal keeps going. If I hard power down the Denon and then start it again, it keeps receiving the signal until 60 seconds have passed.

I can manually turn the ***** on the Denon and keep the volume in check, but I have to jump out of the couch and keep turning it until then 60 seconds have passed.

We’ve put a ban on using the Samsung remote for volume adjustments in the house, but seems like it is a software bug.

Anyone else have this sort of problem? Any idea how to get someone qualified from Samsung to look into this?

15 REPLIES 15
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

**** = dial. Samsung’s curse word detector doesn’t seem to like the word that can also be associated with a male body part :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Jonste
Apprentice
Options

Exact same thing for me on QE75Q95T with a Yamaha receiver. Definitely a bug. Never had this problem with my old Q8. Switched to the Q95T a few weeks back and this started happening after last fw update. 

0 Likes
ashwinds
Explorer
Options

Yes - noticed the same issue since the last firmware upgrade. Some issue with the way a command repeat is detected on the samsung remote and sent via IR.

0 Likes
ashwinds
Explorer
Options

does anyone know where we can report BUGS like this to someone in Samsung - do they even bother with these forums? 

0 Likes
SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

I doubt that they monitor the forums.  Most companies seem to believe that forums are for users to help themselves and don't bother participating.

I've opened a ticket.  Tried the online chat, but no one was available, so it redirected me to a web form.  Submitted the form and got an email auto-response with no ticket number and from a do-not-reply email address.  I don't have high hopes, but will keep this thread updated if I hear or learn anything.

SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

I have now started to work with Samsung support on this. Unsurprisingly, they have had me do a full factory reset and power off, and also re-add the remote. After doing so, the problem still persists.

I have also done a bit more troubleshooting. The signal repeats for 60 seconds exact and is being sent via infrared from either the TV or the connected box. If I remove the spdif cable, the signal is still received- same for the battery in the remote. If I block the infrared receiver on the denon, the signal stops being received during the time that it is blocked.

Single taps up and down on the volume on the Samsung remote work ok, even repeating them. However when pressing and holding the volume up or down for more than one second, the bug is triggered.

ashwinds
Explorer
Options

EXACT same issue and I agree it is IR "repeat" related - one step at a time never causes the issue.

And it is only since the last firmware upgrade. It is a pain that they made you reset - wish they'd see that more people have the same issue and just respect that. Disappointing. I had to unplug it from my home-theater.

SwedenGuy
Journeyman
Options

Just a quick update. Samsung first level support has confirmed that they cannot fix it and have escalated to a second level.

I have provided a link to this thread to them, but would suggest that if you are having the same problem that you also open a ticket. The more reports, the more seriously Samsung will take it seriously. Also if you have different models of TVs and receivers to show that it is not just isolated to Denon.

ashwinds
Explorer
Options

Sure - mine is an Onkyo (with the Frame 55 inch) - so it is not isolated to Denon 

0 Likes