Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soap opera effect, q95t

(Topic created on: 07-06-2021 05:57 PM)
magneman
Explorer
Options

Hi!

I have a Q95T which I haven't changed a lot of settings on, though sometimes the picture on TV series/movies might get a bit blurry, or some lighting effect (especially with bright lighting) might be a bit weird. I am wondering if the soap opera effect is to blame, or some other settings?

I have the language set to Norwegian, but I believe that in English the settings that cause the sope opera effect are related to  "Auto Motion Plus", which I can set to Auto, Off, or Custom in settings. If I go to advanced settings, Auto Motion Plus consists of:

1) Blur reduction, which can be set to a value between 0 and 10

2) Judder reduction, which can be set to a value between 0 and 10

3) LED Clear motion, which can be turned on or off

4) Noise reduction, which be set to Auto or off

In general, should I turn Auto Motion Plus off entirely, or just adjust some of the settings? Or have it set to Auto?

By default (auto) blur reduction is set to 10, judder reduction to 8 and noise reduction to auto. Both in Auto and Off, the LED Clear Motion is turned off.

4 REPLIES 4
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @magneman It can depend  on the content (may be ok for  some sport but otherwise  can get soap opera effect)    but in general I think  Auto  Motion plus  should be reduced or turned off and would put  LED clear Motion off.    If you experiment a bit you will find the optimum setting  to suit your preference.

See some information here https://www.samsung.com/Auto Motion Plus 

Experts tend to recommend that it is disabled  https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-o... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

magneman
Explorer
Options

Hi, thanks for the reply, and sorry for my late response!

Thanks for tips - so in general, it should be turned off for everything except sports, this includes all regular TV series and movies?

Like I said, by auto the only thing that is turned off is the LED clear motion. Not sure what the different settings actually do, I can adjust blur reduction, judder reduction and noise reduction (which are all part of the auto motion plus settings). Should all these settings in general be turned off? I tried watching a few minutes of a TV series with auto motion plus turned off (which means all settings are off) - it felt a bit weird that the FPS went down so much, but it's probably because I am used to it being on since I got the TV?

EDIT: Some things that I have noticed are a bit weird sometimes is that the picture gets blurry when something is moving fast, or scenes with a lot of moving lights/bright light get a bit weird. Which of the settings will amend this?

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @magneman  As I said it can depend on the content , however if you are finding the picture blurry  it would be best to have a Custom Setting for Auto Motion Plus to reduce Blur and Judder for instance.  You may need to experiment a bit with this but could start by trying a middle setting.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

magneman
Explorer
Options

Hi, ok thanks - will try to adjust judder and blur reduction.

Should LED clear motion still always be off, and Noise reduction always be set to Auto?

0 Likes