Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartThings App says TV offline but it's not

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 05:18 PM)
AnneK1
Journeyman
Options

Hi folks, so I've got a QE55Q90RATXXU TV and when I jump into the Smart Things app on my phone, it says the TV is offline.  But the TV definitely isn't as we don't have an aerial so we stream everything on our wifi and both my phone (and the app) and the TV are running on the same wifi so why does Smart Things think my TV is offline.

Also struggling to connect a pair of BOSE wireless headphones to the TV if anyone can help with that.

TIA Anne

55 REPLIES 55
HanesTheBanes
Explorer
Options

Hey, 

I remember that I also had that issue with my dryer. For some reason it wasn't connected to the wlan anymore. I deleted the device from Smart Things and reconnected it like installing it as a New device. That finally worked! 

CaptainDrew
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the advice. For me, it seems like it has something to do with Bluetooth. SmartThings somehow creates multiple Bluetooth connections to the TV for the same device, which also might be why it’s always asking me for permission to connect. 
I temporarily fix it by deleting all connections on the TV and reconnecting. It’ll work until it screws up again, but it gives me a week or so.

0 Likes
Members_oSTGcDA
First Poster
Options

Has anyone found a solution? Have deleted tv from app, deleted and reinstalled ST app. Tried to re-add TV - at first couldn't find it and took a long time. Finally re added TV (series 7) and now shows it as 'on' but offline. Definitely connected to the same WiFi though!

0 Likes
HanesTheBanes
Explorer
Options

Hm, as written above I did exactly same steps like you for my dryer and it worked.

Maybe you completely reset your TV to factory settings including deleting it again from your smart things account? 🤔 Then start all over again? 

0 Likes
strider85
First Poster
Options

Guys, o went through the exact same issue, the app shower the tv as offline even though it was switched on. The solution was simply to reset the tv simply by holding the tv power button for several seconds until. It turns off and after some seconds restart. Then the tv finally appeared online on SmartThings app. Cheers!

Beach Boy Mikey
Apprentice
Options

This is one of the buggiest apps I have ever used.  Yes, this technique works, i.e. delete the device then re-add it.  But even then, it tells me the app and the TV are not on the same Wifi (I only have one).  So then I have to abort the app and re-open it.  And even THEN it will not access the photos unless I again abort the app and reopen it.  And I have to do all of this every time I want to use the app (which is usually several weeks apart, and mainly just to upload photos to our Frame TV.  

Beach Boy Mikey
Apprentice
Options

Try aborting the app and reloading it and sometimes it can then see the TV.

0 Likes
TerryE
First Poster
Options

Same problem here. 43” Frame TV is successfully registered with SmartThings App and shows up but every time I try and switch on the TV from the App it says it is offline. I check in TV settings and it is connected! Also regularly tells me that I don’t have an Art subscription (which I do!) and won’t let me access gallery and adding own photos is impossible. Causes so much headache for such an expensive TV and don’t get me started on the prices for alternative bezels! Total rip off for four pieces of plastic.

0 Likes
tdseyfygh
First Poster
Options

Hi, was that with the remote or on the tv/sync box?

0 Likes
wsharmse
First Poster
Options

I believe I found a solution. Had the same problem. On my TV went to Home> Settings> All Settings> General >Network> Expert Settings and made sure Power on with mobile device and IP remote are both selected and enabled. Since then Smart things work without any issues. No more Offline messages.

0 Likes