Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartThings App says TV offline but it's not

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 06:25 PM)
AnneK1
Journeyman
Options

Hi folks, so I've got a QE55Q90RATXXU TV and when I jump into the Smart Things app on my phone, it says the TV is offline.  But the TV definitely isn't as we don't have an aerial so we stream everything on our wifi and both my phone (and the app) and the TV are running on the same wifi so why does Smart Things think my TV is offline.

Also struggling to connect a pair of BOSE wireless headphones to the TV if anyone can help with that.

TIA Anne

55 REPLIES 55
AndrewL
Options

@AnneK1: Have you registered the TV to the SmartThings app on your phone via the Add Device feature on the home page? If so, if you head to Home > SmartThings > Device List on your TV, is it showing up? 

Regarding your headphone query, can you try putting them in pairing mode by following the manufacturers instructions, then head to Settings > Sound > Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker List to see if you're able to select them from here? 

AnneK1
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew, I'm on the home screen on the TV Smart Things app and the TV isn't showing there, only another Samsung TV I have.  I can't see any option to add it on that screen?

0 Likes
AnneK1
Journeyman
Options

Andrew I've somehow managed to connect it as I can see the Q90 on my phone app now even though the TV doesn't show up on the device list on the TV app.  Will check out the headphones next, thanks.

0 Likes
ScrantonPete1
Apprentice
Options

Did you get an answer for this? Sorry I'm late, but I was just researching this topic myself. I was able to fix it, so I thought I'd share my findings. I switched phones, and the settings from my old phone were copied to the new phone when I bought it, so the device setting in SmartThings was for the old phone; not the new one. I had to delete the TV from the devices listed in SmartThings and re-add it from scratch. During the process my TV warned me that 'this TV was registered by another owner', so there definitely a 'phone specification' component to the setup process, but in the end it all worked. Just be sure you have a Samsung account before you begin ~Peter 

(1)
PissedOffCustomer
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I have a similar problem. I changed my WiFi, the TV and my phone are both connected to the new network. The bluetooth connection is on. Location services are on. The TV is plugged in (thanks for the helpful tip Samsung). The App can 'see' my TV but it remains offline. Any help would be gratefully received as this is driving me crazy. 

ScrantonPete1
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I don't know if this will help, but my setup had the exact same issue, and to make it work I had to re-accomplish the Add Device process in the Smart Things app (see my post on 5/7). But the key was I had to delete the device from the app first and start over. Hope that helps, Peter 

PissedOffCustomer
Journeyman
Options

That worked, thank you so much! I saw your earlier post but didn't try it as my issue was different (new wifi rather than new phone). 

0 Likes
ScrantonPete1
Apprentice
Options

You're welcome. My theory is all of the connection information is stored in a local blob that's uniquely identified by TV ID. When you try to connect, it ignores you because the connection already exists. But the existing connection doesn't work because some the settings have changed, so you're stuck. I think a pop up would be really useful here; something that offers to use the existing settings or guides the user through a refresh process. Just a suggestion. 

FrameVT
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue with a Frame TV (2021) - I did the whole set up of my TV on the SmartThings app but now when I go to the app it says my device is offline and it definitely is online - it works fine with the remote but isn’t the whole point of SmartThings to make your life easier by integrating/streamlining?  I spoke to Samsung support who were unhelpful - they saw that my device was online but had no clue how to troubleshoot the issue with the SmartThings app saying the device was offline.   I will try to delete the device and re-add, as per suggestions in this thread.  Thanks fellow troubleshooters!

0 Likes