Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV not connecting to internet

(Topic created on: 14-11-2018 01:26 PM)
cledgerwood
Student
Options

When I first set up my Smart TV it connected to wifi straight away. The next time I turned it on it still recognised the wifi but couldn't connect to internet. I tried it with a wired connection which worked first time but again, the next time I turned on the TV it can't connect to the internet. I am with BT using their Smarthub.  I've tried changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but no change. Please help.

76 REPLIES 76
RonMcDon
Apprentice
Options

I have found a workaround for this issue.

I bought a WiFi range extender from Amazon for £20, as I initially thought the signal was not reaching the tv for some reason. https://www.amazon.co.uk/VICTONY-Extender-Frequency-External-Antennas/dp/B07HGTT5ZY/ref=sr_1_31?s=co...

The range extender made no difference, but then I realised I could plug it into the TV using a network cable (I had one in an old broadband router box), to make a wired (rather than wireless) connection.

It works a treat!  It is plugged in next to the TV plug, and I only need switch it on when I want to watch something on Netflix etc.

I guess there is a fault with the wireless card, but a £20 fix is better than paying £100+ for Samsung to come and shake their head! 

JamieStrange
Journeyman
Options

Glad you found a fix that suits your needs.  But my issue is why use a smart tv if you cant even use it wirelessly anymore?  I used to use your method. But in doing so. You can no longer stream your laptop screen or phone screen wirelessly which is a must for me not having to use hdmi cables.

Samsung did fix my issue by replacing the motherboard and Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth component which it now works as it should !

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Personally I think a wireless Tv  connection is the best solution in terms of functionality and convenience, though a wired connection will be fine for some and have better overall performance if your broadband is not totally reliable.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

SmartTV4
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem and don't know where to turn to get it fixed.  A dealer (BestBuy) persuaded me to buy a Samsung Smart TV instead of a Sony.  It worked fine for about 6 months and now I cannot connect to the internet.  The cable aspect works fine but can't connect to the internet.  I have a Sony in the same house which connects to the internet with no problem, but no luck with the Samsung.  We have tried everything a consumer should be expected to try and it still doesn't work.  Help someone

0 Likes
RonMcDon
Apprentice
Options

I found a workaround (see above).  It means I can use my apps on my smart tv again, but it doesn’t solve the wireless connectivity issue - I believe there is an issue with Samsung TVs and the wireless card after a recent update. 

Have you tried connecting your your router to the back of the tv to make a wired connection?  

0 Likes
SilvaQ
First Poster
Options

I had a similar problem with my samsung TV series 7. Bought on the first day everything was working fine, it connected to the wifi and all was great. On the second day it wouldn't connect to the wifi and it kept asking me to change the IP function or call my internet provider.

I rang samsung's customer service and they were less than helpful - kept telling me to do the basics, like restart my Tv (which is obviously one of the first things I did before I even called them) This was the only solution they could come up with -.-' it felt almost as if they were reading it off a script. She finally said I should ask for a replacement, cause it could a fault with the Tv. 

Off I go again to get a new TV, same model, size and everything. Same thign happened. This time it worked for 2 days then wifi wouldn't connect. 

So instead of using the wifi i got myself a home plug - which comes with an ethranet cable and all you have to do, is connect the plug to the wall and it will pick up the connection direclty from the router but through the wall's electrical wiring. 

Just search home plug on Amazon and loads of options should come through. 

I got the one below, it was quite pricey at £44.00 but I got the one that would stream data fast enought for 4k content but there are cheaper ones on amazon. 

TP-Link TL-PA8010KIT Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit

I just think the TV's wifi is not strong enough to pick up signals through the walls 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@SilvaQ wrote:

I had a similar problem with my samsung TV series 7. Bought on the first day everything was working fine, it connected to the wifi and all was great. On the second day it wouldn't connect to the wifi and it kept asking me to change the IP function or call my internet provider.

I rang samsung's customer service and they were less than helpful - kept telling me to do the basics, like restart my Tv (which is obviously one of the first things I did before I even called them) This was the only solution they could come up with -.-' it felt almost as if they were reading it off a script. She finally said I should ask for a replacement, cause it could a fault with the Tv. 

Off I go again to get a new TV, same model, size and everything. Same thign happened. This time it worked for 2 days then wifi wouldn't connect. 

So instead of using the wifi i got myself a home plug - which comes with an ethranet cable and all you have to do, is connect the plug to the wall and it will pick up the connection direclty from the router but through the wall's electrical wiring. 

Just search home plug on Amazon and loads of options should come through. 

I got the one below, it was quite pricey at £44.00 but I got the one that would stream data fast enought for 4k content but there are cheaper ones on amazon. 

TP-Link TL-PA8010KIT Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit

I just think the TV's wifi is not strong enough to pick up signals through the walls 

My son had the same issue but he got a Wi-Fi extender which also has an Ethernet socket on it. This means you do not need to plug one in next to the router it works of WiFi but gives the hard wire with the Ethernet out. It was £40 in b&q and £16 on Amazon and does the job.  It will be ok for 4k as long as you broadband package is fast enough. 

0 Likes
Rushfromna
First Poster
Options

I have found the fix to why my tv wouldn't connect to the internet or only connect some times. First I spoke to samsung and they reccomended me to make a simple wifi password with no numbers or special characters, which seemed to work for a little while but went back to not connecting and only connecting sometimes after many hard resets on the tv. THE FIX IS THIS WHICH HAS WORKED FOR ME FLAWLESSLY. I have a dual broadband router that uses 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi. The Samsung TVs are not compatible with 5ghz so you have to set up 2 networks, 1 for 5 ghz and 1 for 2.4ghz. Set your tv to connect to the 2.4 ghz network only. If your having the same issue as me this is the fix, I spent hours trying to fix this and finally found the solution!

0 Likes
AlexT2
First Poster
Options

Mate got my new tv today and it has never even connected to the internet its samsung ue50nu7020 I've typed my Wi-Fi password in 100 times and never got anything says that u put the password in wrong but I didn't 

0 Likes
Amrita
First Poster
Options

Hi from London,

So I had the same problem with my first Samsung TV, after being with network provodider for an hour and testing all connections, they advised me the fault was with the TV, which initially wasnt accepted as an answer my TVsandmore, the seller who I bought the TV from. They arranged for an enginner to give me a call, and after some tests confirmed that the problem lied with the TV. The seller offered to exchange to another Samsung TV and now I am experiencing the same problem again. It is so frusterating. I have now requested it to be returned with a full re-fund. I cannot believe a company like Samsung doesnt test the TV's for errrors, it is clearly a common problem, now having read all the threads of replies on this. Very very dissappointed. Will not be buying another Samsung Tv

0 Likes