Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart tv freezes and restarts if I have hard drive attached

(Topic created on: 27-11-2018 08:14 AM)
Smiteo
First Poster
Options

I bought a ue50nu7020 uhd hdr 2 weeks ago and I have continually had problems with the tv freezing and resetting if i attach my toshiba 500gb hard drive. 

If we switch on tv in the morning and the drive has remained attached, over the course of an hour the tv will freeze and reset as we watch digital tv (not the drive) eventually it will be fine and work normally. 

If if we plug in the drive midway through the day the issue returns. After an hour again we can watch videos from the drive or tv with no issues. 

Also the the drive is 3.0 but the tv is only playing it in 2.0. Am I missing something with this tv and drive combo that’s causing this? 

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
BartoZ
First Poster
Options

I have experienced the same issue today....  so strange!! I've had this 1TB WD Elements portable HDD attached to my 8 yr. old UE55D7000 for several years now. Since yesterday the TV sound suddenly became robotically until it totally crashed and auto resetted. Eversince the TV booted for 30 secs and then rebooted again and again and so on.
I performed a quick factory reset through the service menu but it didn't help. I started to doubt whether I should buy a new TV...until I tried to unplug all the attached devices: TV works fine again! 

To be sure I updated the firmware to the latest I've stored here, I believe 10029. Then I started to replug the devices, when attaching the HDD the TV stuttered again and resetted. Bye bye HDD, I removed it and now the TV performs fine.
I guess the powersupply of the TV has degraded through the years and isn't able to power the drive properly through USB anymore.  I'll try to use an USB stick for pause-TV functions soon instead of HDD. And I think it's wise to start to save money for a new TV.

0 Likes
TheRancher
First Poster
Options

Did anyone ever figure out an answer?  

0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

I have had several Samsung TVs and all have had some degree of difficulty with external hard drives. A few times the motherboard burned out and had to be replaced. The reason that Samsung has not replied to the original posters because Samsung has absolutely terrible customer service and they never reply here.

0 Likes