Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV catching fire

(Topic created on: 10-08-2022 10:37 AM)
fenland neil
Student
Options

I have been an avid user of Samsung products over the years fridges, TV’s washing machines etc and have always found them long lasting, quality products so when I decided to buy a smart TV to replace a Samsung plasma TV I had owned for over 15 years I decided to go for a Samsung UE55KU6470U.

I have owned the TV for just over 5 years and in that time, I wouldn’t say it has had heavy usage because of work commitments I worked away.

At the weekend I turned the TV on within seconds the bottom right-hand corner of the screen went black and smoke started pouring from the same corner. I immediately turned off and unplugged the tv.

Obviously, this was a bit shocking as to what could have happened, especially as I had just turned the tv on to get the football scores and was going out of the room to make a cuppa.

At the time of purchase this TV was an expensive investment which as I said hasn’t had heavy usage to last only this short amount of time.

I suppose I should be grateful that I hadn’t left the TV unattended as this could potentially have been far worse.

After an internet search I was horrified to see how many people have been reporting this very same fault. 

This has damaged my opinion of this brand - not only are there obvious safety implications but now I'm left with an expensive big black plastic rectangle that I paid over £900 for. These products, when faults like this are reported to the manufacturer should be recalled, customers who have invested their money in Samsung products should have confidence that dangerous problems like this are taken seriously.

20 REPLIES 20
katty59
Explorer
Options
Omg very dangerous it could have been alot worse .Put me off buying a samsung washing machine now .
0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Do you have an extended warranty taken with the TV, so you may issue a claim for manufacturer fault?
0 Likes
fenland neil
Student
Options

Unfortunately no I didn't.

ChelseaH
Voyager
Options

Hi @fenland neil 

I would like to take a deeper look into this for you, as Samsung do take matters like this seriously. I can also escalate this internally for you! I'll drop you a PM, as I'll need to take some personal details. 

UpsetSams_ngCustomer
First Poster
Options

I am a very upset Samsung customer. I have always liked Samsung and now I am very disappointed. We bought our beautiful 65” 8K Samsung TV four months ago. We noticed the screen bubbling up at the top left corner. We thought we hadn’t taken the protective film off.  We had it professionally hung above our mantle. It peeled off almost halfway across the tv and then the plastic film came off. It still had half of it on the screen. We were very careful when doing this. It came off so easily. There is no way a $2000 tv would be so cheaply made we thought. The tv now had pixelated lines on the side and bottom of the screen. We called Samsung and they IMMEDIATELY deemed this physical damage caused by us. They had me send a picture of the tv with my cellphone and text it to them. Five minutes later, they claim it was escalated and deemed as physical damage. Totally disgusted and upset I had no choice but to hang up and then tell my husband that they were blaming us. The next day we contacted Costco and they said it was still under the manufacturing warranty and Samsung should take care of it. We felt defeated. After working all weekend, I came home to a completely black and blinking screen. We noticed that the bottom right and top left corners were burning hot. It was literally melting. It even messed up our Roku stick. I feel vindicated knowing that we did not cause this to happen to our tv. It is something wrong with the tv. It should not melt from the inside out. Waiting to hear back from Samsung to hopefully make it right. This is a $2000 tv that we had professionally mounted for $400 only 4 months ago. I can’t imagine we are the only ones having this problem. It makes me sick thinking they don’t want to help us. They should send a technician to observe the tv in person so they can see that it is a manufacturing issue. Now we sit here with a completely broken tv blinking and melted. Come on Samsung!

0 Likes
WJMA
First Poster
Options

The same thing has just happened to my Samsung TV which is only 6 years old. Samsung really need to address this serious issue.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@WJMA: I'm very sorry to hear that you have encountered this issue with your TV. We take matters of customer safety very seriously, therefore I would like to collect some details from you, so the issue can be escalated to the proper channels. If you are based in the UK or Ireland then please send a private message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and myself or one of the other mods will be able to assist you further. 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm...

0 Likes
chellebradus
First Poster
Options

We were watching our Samsung TV last night and smoke started pouring out of the back!  We live in an apartment block so it was a bit scary...

We've obviously unplugged it and not using it.  We bought it in 2015/16 and it quite expensive at the time (65" curved TV).

Does anyone have any advice / where can we turn to, or is it just a case of cutting our losses.

Thanks

0 Likes
AshP_
Options

Cases like this are taken very seriously, @chellebradus. If you're based in the UK/Ireland, please send a private message to Sam_UK so this can be investigated further.