Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 20-02-2019 11:45 PM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
ultramoo
Apprentice
Options

blocking the address tvx.adgrx.com from my router  has fixed the problem. Should not have to go to this extent to do this.  Will not be buying a Samsung TV's again. Shame because other then that it was a good TV, and the rest of the interface is amazing.

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
I'll give that a try myself. Let me know if you notice any adverse effects from doing that block.

I agree, I've had a Sony Android TV which is now in the other room. Loved everything about it apart from the sluggishness of the OS. I might go back to Sony when I upgrade to 8K.
0 Likes
theschultz
Student
Options

GET THE PIHOLE.  Ultimate control.  GET IT

theschultz
Student
Options

I'd do the same if I were them.  It is the capitalist way, and I love it.

0 Likes
MM_nl
Student
Options

It's where the technology leads the developpers. Just another way for "ET to phone home".  Why it is invasive and breaks privacy. The ad provider is able to see the ad is watched ( for getting earnings)  This means he can see when we are watching thus at home. It is al part of profiling from the advertisers.

Next step to come soon :

Imaging , you are watching you favorite football game : The tv is paused and you get an ad from the device developers. That can be big money at the right time. 
It is found anoying : Every ody starts to block the ads, the developers sends magic packets, you will get a message the device will become unusable if you dont allow ads within 24h. 

Don't think this will not happen : the technology is available and build in !

When we let this happen watching telly will become as anoying as the adds on the internet. So let's all together stop this before it is unstoppable (like the AI behind social media)

Anyone supporting this probably just does not see the bigger pickture yet.

toca
Journeyman
Options

"Every body starts to block the ads, the developers sends magic packets, you will get a message the device will become unusable if you dont allow ads within 24h".

You really don't believe this, do you?  If Samsung were ever caught bricking a customers TV they would be sued up the you know what - then go out of the TV business because consumers would definitely stop buying them.

Bottom line is I don't see that ever happening - unless the owner checked a box in their T&C's allowinging it.

0 Likes
Pouryashamsi
Explorer
Options

It actually did happen. 

the first address that got posted here successfully blocked the ads for me for a while. Until an update. Then it blocked me from using the apps! So I had to remove the address from the router’s block list. 

Now there are other addresses that you can block to get rid of them. But again, it’ll change after an update.

so I’m not playing this cat and mouse chase any more.  As I said in the very beginning of this post, the TV that I have was for a hallway in my company. So I don’t care if they show an ad on the menu anymore. No one will see that. 

But if it were in my home (I always buy Sony everything), I’d just throw it out and buy a Sony. 

But Samsung absolutely lost me after this incident. I’d never buy Samsung anything again. Let them have fun with their little ads. 

Sandan
First Poster
Options

We will not be buying samsung products after this.  We do not want items we own advertising to us.  This was a big mistake Samsung.

RockinRog
Explorer
Options

Hehe...hope it remains "ultimate" but yes...I truly like shoving it into my "PI-Hole!"

0 Likes
davido1
First Poster
Options

Still having this same issue.
Please Samsung, this is ridiculous to pay so much for a TV and have forced advertising. 
Give us the option to switch this off otherwise my next TV is never going to be a Samsung.