Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 20-02-2019 11:45 PM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
Sam24
Apprentice
Options

I don't understand why this issue affect only some Samsung TVs? It's not in the software update becsuse this issue is ongoing since 2019 and I've had 2 new Samsung TV both with same OS. One has ads one doesn't all other items equal.  Why is that? 

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
Might be something to do with the Tizen build that sits on the TV. Although all TVs may receive updates etc, it could be that certain TVs are only receiving updates for that build if that makes sense?

Either way, it's a dick move to have ads on the home bar like that. You don't get that on Android/Google TV 😏
HJD1
Pioneer
Options

If only a few hundred people don't buy Samsungs because of the ads it will be thousands of pounds in lost custom. I already chose a non Samsung phone (again) and am not even including Samsung TVs in my possibles list. My TVs are all over 5 years old, one is 11, so replacement time is coming up!

0 Likes
Sam24
Apprentice
Options

I get that.  But for those of us not near the time of TV replacement it would be nice to try and understand why this is and hopefully how it could be resolved.  

0 Likes
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
So, as it stands. It's hard coded into the actual TV and no option to turn it off. The only viable solution I've seen involves a raspberry pi used to block the IP addresses related to ads in the operating system. So in summary, there is no solution from Samsung, you'll need to work something out for yourself.

However, there are a few things people have tried with varying levels of success of you look further down the thread 👌🏿
0 Likes
rob61
First Poster
Options

I just bought a Q90T QLED, turned it on for the first time, and see these ad's in the menu.  I havent paid for cable TV in over a decade due to my aversion to having the influence of advertising in my family.  After reading what everyone says here, it doesnt seem this can be removed.  So I will be returning this TV.  Good thing I got it from costco.  Not only does costco return the open box to Samsung but they hit them with a chargeback for the costs of the failed transaction.  Hopefully this will teach them to not force ad's on their customers.

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Probably the only way to get through to Samsung these days!

0 Likes
LongKnife
First Poster
Options

I was able to block the ads on the menu bar by going into my router settings (Netgear) via the web browser. I followed the steps on this website https://kb.netgear.com/24053/How-do-I-block-internet-sites-on-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web... and put in "samsungads.com" recommended by Henrik4223. The only difference is that I didn't need to have the parental app to block the site.

I believe that if you look up your personal router and how to block a site and follow those steps then add the website you want to block, "Samsungads.com," then you would be good to go. 

0 Likes
Pouryashamsi
Explorer
Options

I’ve done that. But they keep changing the address of the ad server address with each update. So that will work for a while. But soon you see the ad is back. After a few times you stop doing that because you get tired. 

HJD1
Pioneer
Options

Unfortunately, you'll find that after a while you won't be able to access stuff like ITVhub, BBCiplayer, Prime TV etc.. Samsung will detect the block and block your access to their internet services. I even found that voice control via the smart remote stopped working after a month.

Make the most of your ad free time but don't be surprised if you find smart services stop working over the next few months!