Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 19-09-2020 04:05 PM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
Alex3001
Student
Options

you mean, the ips are hard coded?

block the ips

0 Likes
AverageMario
First Poster
Options

After a bit of tinkering, I believe I have removed all the ads from my TV.

--I went into the privacy settings area and disabled personalised advertising

--I deleted all 'TV Plus+' channels and then used the 'down direction' and 'remove' button

Obviously this kinda assumes you don't want the TV Plus channels - they are mostly garbage, doing this removed the ads in my menu bar (Sky, Virgin etc.). Basically if it sounds "smarty" or an app you do not use, use your common sense, but you can probably remove them. 

This guy seems to be doing a similar thing to the TV plus channels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaWnm3Ji34Q

DeborahR
Student
Options

Had the same problem with  Foxtel ad appearing today. I found this solution. It worked for me.

Go to: settings/support/terms & policies/internet based advertisements/untick -to stop internet based advertisements

https://youtu.be/_SHjhvtKjwU

Good luck.

Pouryashamsi
Explorer
Options

I did that on day 1. 
wait for it, it’ll come back. 

so now that setting of mine is off but I still get ads

Mikeread
Student
Options

That’s enough to put me off buying a new tv

JakeSherlock
First Poster
Options

Samsung products have always put this awful taste in my mouth with bloat ware on cell phones etc. and now this recent discovery of ads on my smart tv... I’m not interested. I buy products for simple reasons (cell phone is phone first) and if the leadership of a company can’t understand that I can’t endorse them. I won’t be looking at Samsung from now on. 

w32stuxnet
Student
Options

I shouldn't need to set up a PiHole to enjoy my expensive television without extra bulls**t.

GraphicGibbon
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. I want the ad gone!

Chucky110
First Poster
Options

Same here, they need to remove these ads as they were not there before.  This embed stuff is complete garbage, if they are not removed, I will be getting a different brand

Stephen12
First Poster
Options

This is really despicable tactics from Samsung. We paid a lot of money for the best TV, not for them to make money out of ramming more and more invasive advertising into the menu screen. Adverts are for ad breaks, not when I'm navigating the menu screen. It's distracting and annoying. Whoever came up with this idea did not consider the customer at all, they only cared about money. It's disgusting.