Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - Ads on the Menu Bar

(Topic created on: 08-12-2019 07:31 PM)
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

226 REPLIES 226
Xzibit
Student
Options

I was also able to easily disable in terms and conditions. You just have to uncheck box to indicate that you don't agree. My TV is in a diffetrnt language than English but it roughly translated to "information of privacy protection related to personalized advertisements "

Easy peasy. 

usmcvet
First Poster
Options

@MrShak1982 wrote:

Surely there must be a way to disable this? If I'd known I'd be getting this I'd have brought a different brand. It's annoying me to the point where I'm serious considering getting rid. Sounds dramatic but it feels invasive. 

I absolutely agree.  I own the TV. I want my picks on the menu not their adds I spent thirty minutes on the phone with Samsung Support. Iearnrd I couldn't remove the adds. I think the adds showed up after a software update. 

0 Likes
Alhelor
Apprentice
Options
I wish I would've seen this post before buying the Q90R + soundboard. Going to return both tomorrow.

Advertisement on the app bar... ridiculous. If at least it would only be suggesting devices for this tv (like Samsung soundboard, etc.). It keeps showing some useless BS like life insurance (already got all that) or baby products (I f-ing hate children). That's not what I paid 3000 $ for. Gonna get an OLED from Philips. They seem to have the most sophisticated anti burn-in algorithms. And even if I get burn in... at least I get to CHOOSE the content that will burn into my screen. Not some baby food ***** or insurance ads.
0 Likes
Xzibit
Student
Options

I was at the appliance store today, and  while looking at comparable tvs, other brands have this as well, it's not just Samsung. Just disable in your legal section of settings and you'll be fine, my ads disappeared immediately. A lot easier then returning for a refund:)

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Unfortunately this is correct, if you read the small print all this does is make advertising content not specific to you. It just means the ads you receive are less relevant as you have not given your consent for them to collect data to show you ads specific to that data. 

Give it some time and ads will appear...trust me...and the other hundreds of Samsung TV owners that will confirm.

wwe
First Poster
Options

Which settings did you disable to remove the ads? TV Plus was no problem but i can not find the ads settings.

0 Likes
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

There aren't any! You either have targeted ads or random ads.

0 Likes
russh
Apprentice
Options

Someone in SPAMsung has done a calculation, comparing the revenue from this spam vs. forever losing customers.  This person has made a serious calculation error. 

I had the ads disappear for a few minutes via Settings / Support / Terms & Policy / Interest-Based Advertisements Service Privacy Notice > Uncheck the box.  BUT... then they came back!

I found a better solution, which has resulted in no ads since making the change.  Go into your router settings (domain filters) and block the following domain suffixes:

• samsungads.com
  • ads.samsungads.com
  • lcprd2.samsungcloudsolution.ne

Despite removing the ads with this workaround, I have still made a complaint to the "CEO Office" in my country and requested a full refund. This "feature" is SPAM.  This feature was not disclosed anywhere when I purchased the tv (not in manual, not in the terms and conditions at the time, etc).  There are laws against spam and SPAMsung has not provided a mechanism to unsubscribe.

I will never buy a SPAMsung TV ever again.

SpinalColumn
First Poster
Options

I agree. Get this bull***** off my TV. Low move Samsung and it WILL cost you sales. 

jag11
First Poster
Options

Agreed. I just found this out today. I'm considering returning the TV because of this, or will otherwise find some way to block it on my network.

I will defeinitely never buy a Samsung TV again if they don't fix this and the fact taht "Samsung Plus" autoplays when I turn it on. This is sleazy.