Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Sky Q UHD & Samsung One Connect (QN800A)

(Topic created on: 28-08-2021 11:32 AM)
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

Samsung QN800A 8K HDR TV with One Connect box (new tv) & Sky Q UHD TV box (version 2 box, 2TB, ES240) - 'This screen does not support HDCP' (no sky tv picture at all) 

F49FBEE6-1662-4C5B-9012-FB7626AE5CE3.jpeg

Had previously had Samsung online help and remote assistance to check settings, software and factory reset my TV to be told it was a Sky hardware problem (Sky box did/does still work fine on my old UHD tv).

Have purchased 3 types/brands of certified 8K 2.2 HDMI cables that haven't changed a thing & tried a friends cable that I know is good & used for 4K/Atmos signals.

The Sky service engineer finally visited 27/08/21 after not getting anywhere with the over phone support & attempts to pair. He again went through and tried everything to resolve my blue error msg displayed when trying to get the sky hdmi tv signal on my new TV without success.  

Using my old UHD tv to configure the ES240 (version 2, 2 TB UHD) box as can't see the menu screens/option on the new tv with the error message displayed he tried all setting and set ups, reboots, power cycle start ups, all HDMI ports, (HDMI controls on/off on TV & Sky box, 1080i & p and 2160 picture outputs, bit rate changed from 8 to 10) and tv still won't sync up and always defaults to the HDCP error screen where TV & Sky won't sync together for the HDMI TV signal.

He then tried every type and model of Sky Q box they do, version 2's normal 1080 & UHD, version 3, and the old version 1, 1TB model. The only one that would work was a version 1 Sky Q 1TB that outputs 1080 max (basically a big mini box) - so sky tv but not the UHD I pay for, half the storage & no where near utilising the capabilities of my new 8K tv.

Sky have now said this isn't their problem as my hardware works or on other TV's & Samsung have already said as my other devices (BD disk player, games console) connect and work ok this isn't their issue either, so I am stuck.

I've one now remaining hope, that I've seen people have found that works, and that being a powered HDMI splitter (with 1 output between the Sky box & TV) to break the incompatible HDCP handshake link between the Sky Q box and my TV.

..then, if not, either the TV goes back or I leave Sky. Not exactly the experience I was hoping for after spending a load of money on a new 8K TV & substantial subscription fees to Sky over the last 9 year. Just majorly disappointed and still not really any the wiser if this is Samsung or Sky or both even that need to resolve the hardware compatibility issue with the HDCP sync 😩 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

Update.

Have purchased a 4K powered HDMI splitter to break the HDCP sync chain between my Sky Q box & new Samsung TV & it works !

This has resolved the issue & I can now finally watch Sky on my new 2021 Samsung Neo QLED TV.

Splitter I purchase was from Amazon.
PORTTA HDMI Splitter 1 In 2 Out 4K 60Hz, HDMI Splitter 1x2 with auto scaling 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 4:2:2 4:2:0 to 1080P Support HDMI2.0 HDCP 2.2 HDR10 Dolby Vision 18Gbps 3D. USB powered so can plug it in to back of Sky box or on One Connect box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09994NMS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JTCKRF0Z7FYN660WA822?_encoding=UT... 

View solution in context

16 REPLIES 16
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

😩😩🤬

Says it all....

Don't buy a 2021 Samsung Neo QLED HDR Tv with One Connect box if you want to watch Sky Q UHD. 

95DEAC9D-4F9F-4156-B20E-F8D1EB54B0E6.jpeg

65F4DC56-93C4-4E9E-AAD8-E7836720CAF5.jpeg

0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
If TV not that old then return as not fit for the purpose it was purchased for, but you may have to do a similar option we have to with our marantz avr and use a hdmi adapter to convert the signal suitable for the device.
It could be the TV uses the faulty HDMI chip that affects a lot avrs that were released early this year.
0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
Found this on a sky forum it was response from sky on the issue

" Hi @Jordan579  Its a compatibility issue with the One Connect box and the Q box. They DO work ok together, but the tuning through the hdmi distribution of the one connect box needs resetting, atleast for the Q part of it which is why when you unplug the q box and turn it back on, it comes back. 

Its a very common issue, we have not yet found a solution to it but our software guys are very much aware of it. 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert"

G G
0 Likes
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

So after 3 weeks I'm still no further forward with Samsung resolving this problem. I now have the latest Sky Q box (V3 2TB UHD) & this works fine on my other UHD TV.
So after multiple calls to the technical support service team and customer services they've agreed to replace the TV & will collect in 2-5 days and I'll then I'll need to wait upto 10 working days for a replacement. I find this disgusting & has really put me off every biting a Samsung again.

(Tech service support I'd say has been good although not sorted the issue, customer service team has been poor at best, NEVER ask for a call back, you won't get one !  Have just been passed about, advisor & supervisors  no ownership on this case)

They (& I) have tried the HDCP sync delay, factory resetting, power cycle etc etc all ports, new 8K 2.2 leads and still no joy. Thoroughly fed up.

0 Likes
Solution
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

Update.

Have purchased a 4K powered HDMI splitter to break the HDCP sync chain between my Sky Q box & new Samsung TV & it works !

This has resolved the issue & I can now finally watch Sky on my new 2021 Samsung Neo QLED TV.

Splitter I purchase was from Amazon.
PORTTA HDMI Splitter 1 In 2 Out 4K 60Hz, HDMI Splitter 1x2 with auto scaling 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 4:2:2 4:2:0 to 1080P Support HDMI2.0 HDCP 2.2 HDR10 Dolby Vision 18Gbps 3D. USB powered so can plug it in to back of Sky box or on One Connect box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09994NMS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JTCKRF0Z7FYN660WA822?_encoding=UT... 

Heardo
First Poster
Options

Hi 

I really hope this works I have just got a Samsung TV not same model but have exact same issue with SkyQ UHDR keeps flicking off and on so annoying have spoken with both sky and Samsung and it’s like they have never heard of this issue before and it just me. 

ive ordered the splitter it’s coming Friday hopefully with everything crossed I will be able to watch the football this weekend in all its glory. If not I will be back to sky’s advice just turn it down to 8Bit…🤦🏼‍♂️

thanks again J0hn_S

J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

Hope it worked for you also 🤞🏻👍🏻
(& was better than the football ! ...Norwich fan so wasn't expecting much)

Found Samsung customer services and technical support were really poor in dealing with this, some advisors knew about this issue some didn't, but none could advise on a way to fix it.

Found works best by plugging the splitter in to the one connect box, that way only powered up when TV is on.

0 Likes
Howard0181
First Poster
Options

i have a new Samsung 4K model and I have no 4K.  Just 1081 and below option on Sky settings . I have called Samsung and been through their settings and 4K works so it’s a q box issue.  It’s a brand new qbox I purchased.  Any resolutions please?

0 Likes
J0hn_S
Explorer
Options

Hi, The SkyQ boxes come in 3 types 1-2-3.
You need to make sure you have the right box and a UHD (4K)  service from Sky.

Skyq boxes 2 & 3 are capable of UHD setting but there is a model of the version 1 Sky box that only does 1080 HD tv output.

if go in the main settings on the Sky box 'Hardware version', or look at the code on the box this will give you the info to speak to sky with. My v2 box was an ES240 model & the new v3 shows up on screen as a 32B240.

Would say need to 1st make sure Sky have given you a SkyQ UHD box. Then confirm have the UHD service enabled. Good luck

0 Likes