Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Q and QE55Q90R

(Topic created on: 01-11-2020 09:54 PM)
GRN
First Poster
Options

Hi, First time poster looking for some advice! 

I had Sky Q installed last week - Multiroom + 1TB box plus mini box with "Ultimate on demand". I have a Samsung QE55Q90 TV, along with a Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar.  Soundbar is connected to TV via HDMI eARC port. Initial setup was as follows: Sky Q box > TV, with TV > soundbar. I enabled Dolby Digital + along with UHD setting on Sky Q.   

ISSUE ONE - Picture was fine but I noticed that the sound and video feeds were not aligned.  After much faffing with audio delay settings on both TV and Sky Q, I came to the conclusion that the audio was arriving AFTER the video signal - so delaying the audio only increased the issue.  After reading up online and on this forum I concluded the issue is caused by the processing latency caused by the use of DD+/Atmos (the soundbar has Atmos). 

This was confirmed by turning the setting off - the audio immediately synced with the video. I read that where signals are transferred via multiple devices (in my case Q Box > TV > Soundbar) metadata is attached which provides info on the amount of latency introduced during each transfer - enabling the final signal to be properly synced. This isn't happening, but is the fault the Q box or Samsung Telly/Soundbar? I have Sky Cinema and Sky Sports HD and obviously want to have the full effect of Atmos, but my understanding is that there is no fix currently for the lip sync delay when the Q box is plugged into the TV. 

So... this led to ISSUES TWO and THREE. ISSUE TWO - picture dropouts/black screen. To avoid the lip sync issue, I decided to connect Sky Q box > HW-Q70R, with HW-Q70R > TV via eARC port. This solved the Atmos issue - Soundbar confirms audio source as "Dolby Atmos" when watching "Aquaman" or Sky Sports UHD live.

However, I now get a black screen for 2 - 4 seconds, anywhere between every 15 minutes to every 20 seconds, eventually leading to black screen constantly until i reset the box. I'm using the officially provided HDMI cables from Samsung and Sky - and have never had an issue viewing 4K content on the TV previously, both from inbuilt apps (Netflix, amazon prime) and form a 4k Blueray player. when selecting 8 bit or 10 but uhd Sky Q selects 8bit (TV is rated for 10bit - My understanding is that sky dont transmit any 10bit programming but still seems odd that the otion is there on the box, yet cannot be selected).

I've tested it on UHD film (Aquaman) on UHD Sport (Live Liverpool vs man u) and downloaded TV (Cobra) also on the Netflix app and YouTube app - all these sources suffer the drop outs. I did notice where UHD was selected, that random pixels would flash. Its particularly noticeable (but not limited to) Netflix, on thew start up screen where its all black, just random individual pixels firing and going off. I read on the forums that purchasing a particular type of HDMI 4k splitter would resolve the issue (eSynic HDMI 2.0 Splitter 4K 2 Way) which I've tried, but unfortunalely this did not resolve the issue.

I did speak to Sky about this, who said that its a known issue, and that they had been speaking to Samsung about a firmware update (1303 apparently) but I pointed out my TV firmware was up to date on version 1335. Sky have said they will "escalate" to a tech team to "investigate" but not sure what this will actually entail, timescales etc or what a possible fix could be, although a 2TB box was mentioned as having earlier version, so potentially being more stable due to having been around longer - having read the forum I'm not convinced... incidentally setting the output to 1080 stops this issue - which would be fine if I didn't have a 4K TV and I wasn't paying for UHD content.

The only other thing I haven't tried yet on this issue is replacement 2.1 HDMI cables, which are arriving tomorrow.

ISSUE THREE - related to the issues above is that when i have the Q Box connected to the HW-Q70R, and change the input to say, an app on the TV or my X Box, when I click back on to sky, although the box is on (or if it has been put in standby) then the Sky picture does not re appear, and the only fix is to turn each device off at the wall.

I believe this is something to do with "handshakes" between the devices, which tell the TV which source is active. Not sure if this is a Sky Q box issue or TV issue, but it is extremely frustration. I could resolve this by plugging directly into the TV - but this leads me back to lip sync (issue one). It seems all of these issues are affecting at least some (some issues more prevalent than others) users, but that there is an inconsistent response from Sky.

It feels like if my first issue could be resolved then this would in turn resolve the 2nd and 3rd issues - but it seems unlikely Sky will admit fault for this. for the other issues, particularly issue 2, I'm more confident to lay the blame at Skys door - but I'm not convinced that there are actual resolutions from reading the forums.

I'm just really really frustrated as at the moment it feels like I've bought something in Sky Q which, due to the "newness" of my kit (Atmos, eARC) doesn't work as advertised - even though things like Atmos, UHD are billed as selling points by Sky.

I also feel like while i have a fair understanding of the issues and what might be factors in driving them, its harder to narrow down who out of Sky or Samsung should be the ones to help me resolve the issues at this stage. Any thoughts or routes to possible solutions would be massively welcome!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @GRN  There has been a fair bit of interaction betwween Sky and samsung on these and similar issues, need to see how your complaint goes and if any nearer   a resolution.   However I am aware tht a Sky customer was informed three months ago that Sky's  software is at fault & that the issue is affecting both versions of the 2TB box & also the 1TB box. They could not  however provide a timescale for a fix.   Samsung  models were not the only ones affected and whilst many do not have issues it has been frustrating for those affected.

You may well have the  the 2TB Box as you can only access Sky's UHD output with the  recent 1 TB Box http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-launches-new-1tb-sky-q-tv-box-with-flagship-features.aspx some users have reported that there were more problems with the 2nd generation SkyQ Boxes and switching to 1st generation has solved some issues but this is by no means universal.

Know you will have tried many of these things but general troubleshooting includes checking  you have the latest software version on both your Tv and Sky Q Box.  you will see  the latest firmware on the support    Latest firmware for the Q Box is  Q100.000.53.14L for first generation and Q100.000.53.13L for 2nd generation (updated since last post)  2nd Gen is the ES240 which has an external power supply  (you may well have this one)    You could try rebooting the Box and TV.

I know you are  another HDMI cable and idea to check different ports.

I'm aware of some sound issues being reported with Skyq  (    if you are using a Sound  Bar some customers have found it helps if you connect Q directly to The Sound Bar.    If you are  using the Tv speakers   you could try  changing Digital Audio Output to normal if it is not in that format, go to Settings/Set up/Audio Visual/HDMI.

Another thread with similar issues here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Audio-Video/HW-Q90R-amp-Sky-Q-2TB-Issues/m-p/1383514#M4673 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

KeithD15
Student
Options
I’m also having your issue 3 problem, it’s driving me insane!
0 Likes
MarkJoshi
First Poster
Options

SOS

I bought a Samsung Q90R and we are shielding, the picture keeps 'freezing' and pixilated every few seconds. Samsung blames sky and sky blames Samsung. 

Tech team said is it Judder, not really its almost like screen freezing and getting green for fraction of second, only issue with sky not with Netflix not with amazon and not even with recorded stuff on sky or terrestrial tv.

Should I return Samsung tv? has anyone had this freezes when watching sky? 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@MarkJoshi wrote:

SOS

I bought a Samsung Q90R and we are shielding, the picture keeps 'freezing' and pixilated every few seconds. Samsung blames sky and sky blames Samsung. 

Tech team said is it Judder, not really its almost like screen freezing and getting green for fraction of second, only issue with sky not with Netflix not with amazon and not even with recorded stuff on sky or terrestrial tv.

Should I return Samsung tv? has anyone had this freezes when watching sky? 

Hi @MarkJoshi  Can I ask which Sky q Box you have - list is here check-which-sky-q-box     As I mentioned previously there  has been more of an issue if not exclusively with some of the older Boxes.    Though engineer visits will be a bit problematic at the moment.   Taking it  resets or disconnecting (turning off both Skyq and Tv ) has not made a difference.    Have you tried experimenting with the ECO settings to see if that in any way solves the issue.    Personally only had  ocassional issue with freezing in the early days of Skyq  (with Samsung TV) and no problem in the last few years.

Think you will be the best judge if resolution cannot be found soon.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Craig419
Student
Options

Hi, I’m having the same problem but like you I’m not sure if it’s a sky or Samsung issue. Samsung are saying it’s my tv but I’m not convinced. I’ll explain. I have a q80r soundbar and q80r tv.  In order to get Atmos I have to connect direct to my soundbar from sky q  then a arc to the tv.  Anyway the past couple of days my sky has started to flicker Black for a couple of seconds randomly but every now and again it goes off completely and says no source found.   I’ve changed hdmi and have the same issue,  but if I connect directly to the tv it’s fine. 
but what confuses me is I also have a fire stick connected to my soundbar which also using the same arc hdmi that the sky uses obviously but that has no issues at all with the black screen. So that the tells me the hdmi is ok, so I think it’s the sky q box doesn’t like the Samsung software. I could bypass the soundbar but like you I have lip sync issues and I can’t receive Atmos via the arc. 

0 Likes