Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Share a USB drive

(Topic created on: 08-06-2021 10:29 AM)
UO
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung TV UE43TU7175U. It's connected to a router by cable, and to an external hard drive with the TV's USB port. Internet access from the TV works fine, and it can play videos on the drive. But how can I share the hard drive and make it accessible over the network?

Scanning the network from my PC (Win10 Home) finds the TV, and it shows up in the router settings. But I can't find the USB drive or any way to share it from the TV.

7 REPLIES 7
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You can only access via a browser with your set up. It's probably better to connect the USB stick to your PC and share across your network.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You can't do that unfortunately
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Or directly to the router if it has a USB connection designed for NAS functionality
UO
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, that sounds like a better idea.

The router doesn't have a USB port, but I connected the drive to a separate NAS: a Raspberry Pi running openmediavault. Shared the drive with "Only guests" access. I can read/write to the drive from my PC, but no luck from the TV. I tried Source -> Remote Access -> Connect to remote computer and entered the local IP for the NAS. Am I on the right track?

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
No, you don't need the Pi, connect the drive to the PC, share the drive in PC settings. Install Windows Media Player or similar on your PC, confirm the folders to share and enable streaming. You may find it hard to find WMP as it's discontinued, it works fine so I never replaced it. VLC media player or zune are suitable alternatives.
0 Likes
UO
Apprentice
Options

Yes! That did the trick (with WMP). Thank you.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You're welcome
0 Likes