Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung YouTube app not playing videos above 720p

(Topic created on: 08-08-2021 09:36 PM)
Ak2030
Apprentice
Options
Noticed this recently. Any videos on YouTube which is uploaded with 60fps refresh rate, the resolution on TV is maxed out to only 720p. Videos on YouTube which isn't uploaded with 60fps and on 4k, the video plays in max resolution.
The TV is Samsung UE65JU7500. 
Any advise on how to fix this will be highly appreciated. 
Thanks 
28 REPLIES 28
RichardK1
Apprentice
Options

I already had enough and bought a mi box s. It is capable of 4k hdr 60fps output which does work on the tv...

Drarlor
First Poster
Options

There is a big difference between displaying 4K in 50-60Hz and decoding a video stream in said format. The problem with the YT app seems to be the latter. Obviously you can use a separate device like a PS, Xbox, Mi Box, TV Stick or whatever that is decoding the stream and just playing the picture to the TV. If the TV is running the app it has to do the decoding.

Nevertheless I expect a 6 year old TV to be able to decode 1080p/60fps streams. This case is even more true if 4K/25fps is supported. It feels like Samsung is either not caring about older products or want to "force" the customer into buying a new TV.

I have the same problem with some gaming live streams that are presented in 60fps. Last resort to solve that problem is buying a TV stick for 50€.

0 Likes
Robo-kou
Journeyman
Options

Yeah... I gave up on this issue months ago and just ended up using a Chromecast and a FireStick. Funny thing is, there was an issue with the latter that kept me from installing and using YouTube at all. (I think I mentioned a similar or exact problem in an earlier comment.)

That was recently resolved though, so I now have two alternatives for watching YouTube in 4K on my TV. I still miss using the TV's native interface though. But if I had to rank the 3 options, here's how:

Amazon 4K Fire Stick: Lots of Subtle Features (which makes it the truest YouTube experience on a TV)

Chromecast 4K: DELIVERS BEST PICTURE-QUALITY HANDS-DOWN. Plus, every video is automatically played had the highest possible resolution. 

Built-in YouTube App: The fastest and the most comfortable to use. It's literally opened in just a couple of button presses.

OVERALL WINNER:

Amazon FireStick 4K

It's slightly less pretty than the Chromecast—albeit, barely noticeable—and not as natural as the built-in app, but it has quality-of-life features that more than make-up for it. Plus, it's the best of both worlds—better picture-quality than the built-in app and more natural to use than the Chromecast. (The Chromecast requires a mobile device to be operated and so is sorta annoying to use. I only use it for when I'm watching stuff that demands premium picture, like trailers, movies, or various spectacles. And like I said, the superiority of its picture-quality is there but barely noticeable.)

Didn't mean for this to turn into a full-on review. I just wanted everyone to know that there are better alternatives to move on with. (But like I said in my earlier comment, I think this may have been all part of corporate strategy to begin with. I was forced into buying/using other products. 😡)

0 Likes
pachu
First Poster
Options

Samsung YouTube app not playing videos above 720p .my tv is UA40F6510AR am just re install youtube application after uninstall old app still the problem existing 

0 Likes
Shimano
First Poster
Options

Okay, many angry people here, accusing Samsung of artificially locking Youtube is total nonsense.

My Dad has the UE65HU8200 and i noticed the same issue.

After checking the specifications, I found out his TV DOESN'T SUPPORT VP9 CODEC which is nowadays required for 720p60, 1080p60 and everything above.

Youtube will 60fps Vids automatically max out @720p bc of this.

That's not directly Samsungs fault even though I'm not sure if this could be fixed by a update.

Youtube decided some time ago to use VP9 as the main codec.

Check the codec specification of your TVs and you will find out VP8 is supported but VP9 probably isn't even mentioned 

0 Likes
RichardK1
Apprentice
Options

You make a fair point HOWEVER. Im just a consumer. An end user. It is not my job to know what kind of codec youtube uses or how they update their backend. All I see is that my TV loses functionality and its Samsung job to either update/fix or notify the user in some way.

Robo-kou
Journeyman
Options

But the idea that Google is "artificially locking" YouTube is not total nonsense.

They've done this before with Amazon FireStick. This is an open secret to anyone who cares. (And I'm fairly certain that they've recently done it again.) It's not far-fetched that they would do this to another device such as a Samsung TV. 

Doing this helps to increase the sales of their own hardware. It's a tried-n-true tactic. (As I mentioned in my previous comment, I ended up buying yet another Chromecast because of the issue with the Samsung TV.)

0 Likes
Shimano
First Poster
Options

No, you're right, it's annoying af but I'm sure Samsung employees will point out, that every specification is somewhere listed and what Google is doing with YouTube is absolutely non of their business.

Also, Samsung is selling devices, not services, like Apple does.

Warranty for all this TVs seem to be over, so Samsung's job is done. They don't have to  notify anyone or do anything (would be nice tho).

I hate it as well but that's just the reality we have to face.

And now that we know why YouTube isn't working as intended we can stop searching for the problem, cuz there is sadly no fix.

0 Likes
Minionguyjpro
First Poster
Options

I should be able to watch videos in 1080P. I have UE40F6320 and if i use something like Netflix then its just 1080P.

0 Likes