Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung YouTube app not playing videos above 720p

(Topic created on: 14-12-2020 02:05 AM)
Ak2030
Apprentice
Options
Noticed this recently. Any videos on YouTube which is uploaded with 60fps refresh rate, the resolution on TV is maxed out to only 720p. Videos on YouTube which isn't uploaded with 60fps and on 4k, the video plays in max resolution.
The TV is Samsung UE65JU7500. 
Any advise on how to fix this will be highly appreciated. 
Thanks 
28 REPLIES 28
Robo-kou
Journeyman
Options

Same here. I live in the United States and own a UN60JU7090FXZA. Every time I watch a 4K video on YouTube, my playback options max-out at 720p. (I had no idea framerate played a part until I came upon this thread though.)  

0 Likes
Arbafelix92
Journeyman
Options

Hellou,

now i watch YouTube and see that everything is back to normal. So now every video works in FULLHD or 4K Check your TVs and YouTube app to see if it's back to normal

0 Likes
Robo-kou
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the same problem. 4K videos running at 60fps can only run at 720p.

I've already contacted YouTube last week using the link you posted.

ionut_stefan
First Poster
Options

Same problem happens with UE40JU6400 model. YouTube Samsung app plays 4k@30Hz, FHD@30Hz, but nothing above that framerate. Nowadays every single youtuber posts videos at 50Hz and they are not supported by Samsung YouTube app. I fell bad for my TV, I don't want to replace it, I understand marketing, I have 3 Samsung TVs, I think I am your client and you should be nice to your clients. Thank you Samsung, for bad suport. 

takaacstamaas
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with my 120Hz Samsung JS8500 high end model 😞

Please let me watch 60Hz fullHD / 2K /4K.

0 Likes
grahamw2000
First Poster
Options

Same issue on my Samsung UE50JU6800 television, never used to be an issue in the past - most videos now limited to 720p on TV app. Also the HDR colour does not work for devices connected to the HDMI 1 port. Colours washed our (e.g. reds look orange) in Netlifx etc with HDR Colour enabled. Numerous reports of same thing for other Samsung TV's in many other forums so not just me!! Samsung TV's really are a load of junk and Samsung support are useless/ non existient. My next TV will be an LG or Sony I'm afraid.

0 Likes
LukeA1
Journeyman
Options

I have an UE40F8000 updated to the latest version (both firmware and YouTube). Stuck at 720p even though it's a 1080p panel. I'm from Croatia

0 Likes
CzarX86
First Poster
Options

Same here with UN55JS7200.

Youtube app version 3.00019.

Only 30fps videos on 4k res.

Can't remember if this limitation applied before or is something new... 

0 Likes
RichardK1
Apprentice
Options

UE55JU6400 here. 720p only. The other tv in the living room(ue55nu7023) works fine.

Is samsung trying to pull an apple on us and making the tv feel obsolete on purpose?

Members_1XNpAKY
First Poster
Options

Since the youtube application hasn't been updated since the start of the problem, it can in no way shape or form be a youtube problem. The reason for everyone's issues is most likely (this is basically impossible to check unless you have the correct tools and can crack open the firmware files to check) caused by some form of artificial lock samsung has put in place on the television with their most recent firmware update. The fact that when you are watching normal television, or have an external device like a ps4 or xbox or home cinema set or whatever hooked up you don't have the 720p issue but are able to watch full HD would confirm that this is something done on the software level. I.e. if the applications that run on your tv get told that your tv only has a 720p screen, they will accept that as the truth in the same way windows assumes the storage space of a device based on what the device itself says whether this is true or not (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-D6tYBX8vE&ab_channel=LinusTechTips video that explains this in some more detail). As for a possible fix, the more I read online the more I get the idea that this is just going to be something that we have to live with unfortunately.

0 Likes