Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, you have to introduce dolby vision

(Topic created on: 10-08-2019 08:00 PM)
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

This is ridiculous. DV is taking off and your lack of support does nothung but hurt your customers.

How about you lead the way and put your customers before some ***** fisted marketing strategy? 

162 REPLIES 162
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

If you really think that is the case, then send me my deleted message, and I can redact what needs to be and repost it here, and then people can decide for themselves.

If you don't, we know who had to bow out, and for what reason

0 Likes
markt73
Apprentice
Options

hi

youve obviously been keeping a keen eye on this topic,why not come forward with information on what samsung intend to do? which is what this topic is all about after all or are you/samsung going to bow and start  supporting dolby vision or not? if so then will older tv get a firmware update to allow this or is youre processor hardwrae not up to the job ? rendering them useless for future proofing? please reply and not sit on the sidelines.

Ronaldk
Apprentice
Options

Soul navigator stated: "So if I wish to use Dynamic metadata, which I absolutely would, (as HDR should be changed for each scene based on creators intent, and not just fixed for the entire movie), then Dolby Vision or DV is the only option." I am perplexed for listing DV as the only option as I understood HDR10+ is aimed at the same and given our 10 bit panel restrictions would not render vast experience end user differences (provided it is supported by your set). Furthermore, if dynamic metadata is such an advantage (and must for viewing original content creator intend) how do all owners of premium OLED TVs from LG feel when buying 4K disc with exclusive HDR10+ encoding? How do they experience Amazon prime series provided as exclusive HDR10+ format? Is the lack of HDR10+ Support not an issue (albeit less in occurance) for LG tv owners as DV is for Samsung owners? I guess what I am saying: In format wars there are always losers. Manufacturers providing both (and other) are possibly the best bet for this aspect, just like dvd writers that accepted -r and +r and -rw and +rw formats.

0 Likes
storresginer
Apprentice
Options

This format war is over. DV already won. 

nik_ger
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, but Samsung ignores it. So for me no more Samsung. Maybe with DV. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A bit of a blow when 20th Century Fox moved away from HDR10 +https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/20th-Century-Studios-embraces-Dolby-Vision    However Recently HDR10+ Titles became available on Google play via Samsung TVs.   https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/08/hdr10-plus-google-play-movies-samsung-tv.html  Some HDR10+ Blu rays here https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/hdr10-uhd-blu-rays/ 

Ideally  samsung would support Dolby Vision as well as HDR10 Plus,  however there is no indication that will be the case in the near future.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ahfah119
Student
Options

Same here. Owning a Q9FN (2018), top of the line TV discounted price at $2999 at the time of purchase, brand new from Samsung. I thought I can get the best of the best, NOT! Atmosphere brightness feature terrible. Local dimming is almost a killer for the TV. dark features can't be seem. Have to turn these feature to off or lowest of lowest settings so I don't get the spotlight on/off effect watching movies. Dark screen is dark alright. I can't even see anything in the dark area of the scene. (played with multiple backlight/contrast/HDR+ settings) finally turning every features off and it got slightly better. And now, Netflix UltraHD TV shows. only shows only HDR instead of Dolby Vision, no Dolby Atmos, nothing. My Brother got a LG at 1/3 the price, it's got everything! AND AND, it looks better. Don't believe me? Go watch Umbrella Academy, Altered Carbon on Netflix. Samsung Q9FN, and LG (forgot the model, but it cost <1/3 price, (think it was only around $700 vs my Samsung $3000.) and everything looks and sound better. No spot light effect for local dimming. What have I done.... Only reason owning this TV is 36 month 0% interest free TD bank account. Going to have to get rid of this TV and get a real TV that support the popular standards without all the SW bugs.

Gaspo1
Pioneer
Options

Is Samsung capable to do a software to existing tv,s to support DV?

Witse
First Poster
Options

i bought a samsung QE55Q7F tv oin november 2017 and i thought i'm save for the next years. but a few months later i learned about dolby vision is coming to xbox. i was cursing about myself i should have bought another tv than samsung. it cost 1500$.

i was hoping that samsung will update their tv's so they can support dolby vision.

i hope to get a new job soon so i can buy a better tv like a sony or LG

Exile1973
Apprentice
Options

I am looking also but stay away from OLED screen burn-in. The best option is to pressure Samsung for support. I would maybe look at Sony but the LG build quality is horrible and flimsy.