Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, you have to introduce dolby vision

(Topic created on: 03-12-2020 05:25 PM)
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

This is ridiculous. DV is taking off and your lack of support does nothung but hurt your customers.

How about you lead the way and put your customers before some ***** fisted marketing strategy? 

162 REPLIES 162
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

As far as I am aware there is no indication Dolby Vision will be supported in the near future. Samsung claim there are over 1000 HDR10+ titles available on Amazon and content also available on Google Play. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-vision-hdr-everything-you-need-to-know https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/08/hdr10-plus-google-play-movies-samsung-tv.html

May change if Samsung believes it to be in their interest at some point.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
100pat
Pioneer
Options

A few irritating 2020 bits:
Disney+ and AppleTV+ mostly use DV on their newer titles.

Samsung TVs usually give sub-optimal pictures with DV but the real stinger is that you can’t turn it off!

An AppleTV 4K box allows you to do that, so, you can watch DV content in 4K SDR with acceptable colour over an HDMI connection.

But, a lesser stinger is that the AppleTV 4K box gives a sub-optimal picture with HDR10+ content! But, at least, you can switch the box to 4K SDR manually to watch that in acceptable colour.
(Tip: set the AppleTV 4K box video to always default to 4K SDR and enable Range Matching (so, it auto-switches to HDR for DV) then turn off Range Matching for those rare HDR10+ titles. Remember to turn Range Matching back on again, afterwards!)

That’s my opinion. Please correct any factual mistakes!

Chouffy
Journeyman
Options

They lost the war with their HDR10+, the available content in HDR10+ is drop in the ocean right now!  This is clearly in their best interest to be compatible with all HDR formats to not lose market shares, I don't understand why they do nothing? they just put all their customer in an impasse... this is clearly a show of irrespect towards them! I hope Samsung management are listening to their customers and are putting this kind of questions on the table at the top level

CincyMatt
First Poster
Options

I am on my fifth Samsung TV purchase in a row, and this will be the last if they do not pick up Dolby Vision. I have not watched one HDR10+ title as of yet, and don't feel like spending the hours to track one down. Next TV purchase will probably be in November, and looks like I'll be going a route other than Samsung. Really sucks, as I love these TVs. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing every movie I watch have DV listed as an option, and I cannot use it. It's even a little embarrassing. Spend all this money on high-end equipment, and you have the guy down the street with the $10 TV bragging about Dolby vision. Ha ha!

JosBra
Apprentice
Options

Totally agree, is a shame that Samsung doesn't care for customer needs supporting DV. Netflix and Disney+ do not care at all about HDR10+, unfortunately HDR10 alone is simply not good enough. I bough 4 Samsung TVs since 2009. Next year I'm going to replace my Qled 70R55 to buy a bigger 65". If Samsung does not support DV next year, I'll have to buy a LG OLED or Sony OLED even if I like Samsung design much much more... but for me image quality is a must and without DV I will not achieve this.

JosBra
Apprentice
Options

There is no HDR10+ content in Nexflix or Disney+. Luminosity is important but having static plain flat dark HDR10 is not an option when you pay $2,000 for a TV. HDR10+ is excellent, but nobody cares about it and nobody plans to care. It about time for Samsung to adopt DV as well, it's a MUST !!

Hipis_1
Explorer
Options

2 months ago I was wondering: Samsung or Sony. I didn't want to wait forever for dolby vision and bought Sony XH95. If there were no blooming (typical in led tv) the tv would be gorgeus.

Ronaldk
Apprentice
Options

@Hipis_1 wrote:

2 months ago I was wondering: Samsung or Sony. I didn't want to wait forever for dolby vision and bought Sony XH95. If there were no blooming (typical in led tv) the tv would be gorgeus.

Plus you have the additional benefit of DTS support (even DTS-MA via eARC) and Android TV apps (much more applications available than the limited Samsung store that is region locked)! Congratulations

Hipis_1
Explorer
Options

It's not a tv issue, but I have Samsung S9+ mobile phone, and after Samsung update a month ago my microphone usually doesn't work when somebody calls me. When I call it works fine. Not only me have the problem. There are some threads on Samsung community page. Still not solved.

I don't believe in Samsung ...

0 Likes
Ronaldk
Apprentice
Options

@Hipis_1 wrote:

It's not a tv issue, but I have Samsung S9+ mobile phone, and after Samsung update a month ago my microphone usually doesn't work when somebody calls me. When I call it works fine. Not only me have the problem. There are some threads on Samsung community page. Still not solved.

I don't believe in Samsung ...

I understand your frustrations. The apps are TV installed (e.g. netflix, BBC iplayer) and the DTS sound format apart from DV is not supported on all Samsung TV's after 2018. These are definitely TV issues

0 Likes