Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, you have to introduce dolby vision

(Topic created on: 20-04-2020 03:31 PM)
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

This is ridiculous. DV is taking off and your lack of support does nothung but hurt your customers.

How about you lead the way and put your customers before some ***** fisted marketing strategy? 

162 REPLIES 162
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

it is true that Dolby Vision is technically superior and capable of producing 12 bit colour but there are virtually no Tv's anywhere that currently support 12 bit.

True, but lack of Dolby Vision support means that Samsung TVs can't properly display the entire dynamic range of DV content, and are limited to the HDR10 base version. DV content still looks better than regular HDR10 even on 10 bit panels

Arvid_
Explorer
Options

Ok,

Problem 1; Samsung doesn't support DV, while just about all content uses DV as it's HDR format. Utterly ridiculous, yes. About to change; probably no. 

Problem 2: WHY ON EARTH does my Samsung frame TV tell it's own smart apps that it DOES accept DV. ? I mean, my frame TV can be realy proud that it supports HDR10+, although nobody cares, but please Samsung, make it so that my apps (Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney) KNOW my TV doesn't understand DV.  
Because now what happens is this; Netflix/Apple/disney apps THINK my Samsung Frame understands DV, serves its DV stream to it, my Samsung says, 'Hey! A HDR stream! I can do that! Who cares if I misinterpret the colors and contrast, who cares if every dark scene becomes barely watchable, I'll just cram the DV stream into my HDR10+! environment and call it a day'. 

PLEASE, DON'T DO THAT

please inform the apps you can't handle DV, and let the apps serve regular SDR streams instead.

Really, that's the least you can do. Give us the opportunity to stream SDR from your smart apps. Thank you.

MMM5
Journeyman
Options

I am very disappointed with the image on netflix in 4k
I am in rj45 with optical fiber.
15.25mbits / 2060 by pressing the info button on my remote control

the image is dull and bland in 4k hdr
The image is more beautiful without hdr and in 1080p
I returned to the basic package on netflix without hdr and 4k

I have a 4k tv hdr10 + samsung 55ru7300 and I have to see the streams in 1080p without hdr on netflix.

Whose fault is it? samsung or netflix?

0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@MMM5 wrote:

I am very disappointed with the image on netflix in 4k
I am in rj45 with optical fiber.
15.25mbits / 2060 by pressing the info button on my remote control

the image is dull and bland in 4k hdr
The image is more beautiful without hdr and in 1080p
I returned to the basic package on netflix without hdr and 4k

I have a 4k tv hdr10 + samsung 55ru7300 and I have to see the streams in 1080p without hdr on netflix.

Whose fault is it? samsung or netflix?

My man, I bought LG C9 and with Dolby Vision the picture is just amazing. My buddy returned his q90r and picked up Sony after watching Netflix on my TV. 

I am telling you, not using industry standard is really killing the picture quality on Samsung TVs. I bet that if q90r had Dolby vision, Sony TVs would be left behind. 

Randy-312
Journeyman
Options

I also ended up buying the LG C9, and am blown away with how good everything, especially the dolby vision content, looks on it.

markt73
Apprentice
Options

hi everyone.

im sure this has been asked somewhere but if samsung keeps refusing to add/support dolby vision then whats to stop dolby inserting some sort of code or key into the metadata/stream that refuses to handshake with any device that lacks its support like samsung is doing? im to the understanding that samsung takes the dolby metadata and converts it so as thier tv,s display it in hdr/hdr10+ ?.

Soul_
Pioneer
Options

Man, you seem quite learned. You should provide some details around how that would work.

Dolby along with investing into developing the metadata standard should invest time reverse engineering Samsung TVs, when Samsung is actively refusing to do introduce it themselves. 

You must be some kind of a mastermind. Please keep on posting and making the world a better place, one post at a time. 

0 Likes
markt73
Apprentice
Options

im not sure how that would work..if at all possible.

mastermind...far from it lol. its just a point that a lot of reviews seem to miss out on asking about. and wouldnt you be a bit pi@@ed off if youre tv suddenly stopped displaying any hd content because dolby managed to do it? i know i would,especially if all the tvs samsung have sold arent capable of a software workaround.

just food for thought and for anyone wanting to get a new samsung tv or have an older model like i do.

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

From what I understand after reading around and some Google fu is that Samsung could technically firmware update their newer TVs to have DV. The processors would just have to be able to read/output the data. 

Realistically, probably won’t ever happen. But, it is possible for the newer TVs to display DV. 

0 Likes
markt73
Apprentice
Options

lets hope so..i was looking toward a Q95T model  but im on the fence now...the panasonic hz1000 is looking interesting.

0 Likes