Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, you have to introduce dolby vision

(Topic created on: 08-03-2020 07:41 PM)
Benrc
Journeyman
Options

This is ridiculous. DV is taking off and your lack of support does nothung but hurt your customers.

How about you lead the way and put your customers before some ***** fisted marketing strategy? 

162 REPLIES 162
nik_ger
Journeyman
Options

Sadly that Samsung ignores the Community. 

Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@nik_ger wrote:

Sadly that Samsung ignores the Community. 

And the community ignores them back. :smiling-face:

They think they are apple, but the truth is that they are only a cheaper version of Sony.

MHR1
Apprentice
Options
Somebody should write a letter to all the executive at Samsung and get them to read this thread. Also it would be good to publish an article visible to Samsung stockholders, so they could get a sense of how much market share is being lost due to an outdated strategy that makes no sense. Samsung needs to learn from the history of Beta vs VHS, or HD-DVD vs BluRay.
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@MHR1 wrote:
Somebody should write a letter to all the executive at Samsung and get them to read this thread. Also it would be good to publish an article visible to Samsung stockholders, so they could get a sense of how much market share is being lost due to an outdated strategy that makes no sense. Samsung needs to learn from the history of Beta vs VHS, or HD-DVD vs BluRay.

But for that happen their ego needs to take a rest, and not think of themselves as trend creators, and actually listen to the people.

They are flashing how Panasonic will support HDR10+, that means nothing when there is next to no content for it.

Show off when you get Disney+ and Netflix to support HDR10+, show off when content creators support you, or when consoles and PCs support it.

storresginer
Apprentice
Options

I have nothing against HDR10+ or any other technology that contributes to enhancing the TV experience. I also think Samsung’s QLED TVs represent a good alternative to pricey OLED TVs, also offering a better design and improved software interface. However, Dolby Vision is already well established in the UHD/4K VOD content and it has currently the support of Netflix, which is the main provider of this type of content in most countries. I think Dolby Vision will be never replaced by HDR10+, though both technologies can be somehow compatible. I don’t regret I bought a Samsung QLED TV in the past but I wouldn’t do it again and I don’t recommend to buy now any high-performance (and expensive) TV set without Dolby Vision support since it will not be delivering in a near future the movie experience to the fullest. Therefore, I hope that Samsung includes Dolby Vision support in the next product lines as well as releases an update via firmware as soon as possible for the last previous generations, while they continue improving HDR10+.

Dvision
First Poster
Options

I own a 2019 lg 55" c9 series and D-vision with my Dolby Atmos is extreme family member has a q9 really no comparison oled and D vision Atmos is where it's at.

devsc
Apprentice
Options

I agee, the customer friendly way of doing this is to add/sell Dolby vision on the Samsung market place to cover the license fee. I understand the will to use an open source format, but fighting Dolby vision by sacrificing user experiqnce/satisfaction is never a good choice. All brands with a software implementation of Dolby vision have support for HDR10+, so Samsung should do the same, and at the same time lobby HDR10+ and gain adaption amongst other tv brands and streaming services. Maybe, they don't see this as an issue, because of all users feeling the same way, there is only a small group of users that take their valuable time to let Samsung know about how badly this affects their brand. One of the reasons I buy "premium" products such as released by Apple and Sonos is their software support, adding new valuable features for the lifetime of the device. That's not my experience from owning several Samsung TVs. It's actually pretty early 2007-ish about the whole "We release a new version of Tizen every year, only for the new products". And if Samsung is a brand that doesn't care about European users, and have their largest customer base in Asia and they don't care; then Samsung needs to think about how they can get a bigger market share (maybe by start caring). One other thing that I absolutely hate is the pre-installed apps that I can't delete. Terrible user experience! My recommendation for Samsung would be to either release an update that included Dolby vision as an optional update, or to sell it as an add on to existing models that support HDR10+. If they are worried about the cost, then add a margin to cover the dev cost. Over and out.

storresginer
Apprentice
Options
If Samsung continues ignoring the community, the only measure we can take as customers is to stop buying Samsung TVs.
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options
Just managed to watch some HDR10+ content and it's just so much better than regular HDR/HDR10. I assume this is because of its intrinsic curated tonemapping, which is miles better than Samsung's automatic dynamic tonemapping which destroys highlight detail.
I can imagine Dolby Vision would be just as good- even if no panels are currently capable of 12bit color, the DV metadata is just on another level relative to stock Samsung HDR. Regular HDR looks like garbage in comparison, honestly.
Sad thing is XBox can do DV but it's not capable of HDR10+, which is only supported by Amazon and a few Blu-Rays. So we need Prime Video, or an expensive 4K player to see HDR10+ content or we're stuck with subpar regular HDR.

In all honesty at this point I would pay for a Dolby Vision upgrade ... Either step up HDR10+ or let it die. At this point there's no contest.
luis_j10
Apprentice
Options

I am the owner of a 65Q70R and found out later that the TV doesn't supports Dolby Vision, only HDR10 and HDR10+. What's the point of HDR10+ if there is close to cero content supporting the format. If you are gonna push for HDR10+ at least make a deal with companies like Netflix to provide HDR10+ in their catalog.