Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV UE65KU6400 vertical dark band

(Topic created on: 02-08-2019 11:26 AM)
rikkog
Apprentice
Options

Hi there,

My just more than two year old (and therefore just out of warranty) television has begun to show a top-to-bottom darker area or shadow just to the left of centre.

I was appalled to learn that a local Samsung-recommended repairer has quoted me €200 MORE THAN THE COST of the original television(!) just to supply the part - labour NOT included!

I am obviously very disappointed that such a new and expensive television is showing such a problem - I understand it is a problem that other people have experienced... Is there anyone from Samsung who would care to comment on this matter?

Many thanks

Rik

IMG_0755.JPG

50 REPLIES 50
karlson6
First Poster
Options

I would love to know more about how I’d go about doing what you were able to do if you get a chance to respond. Just happened to mine a few weeks ago and I was sort of resigned to the fact that I made a bad decision to buy a Samsung. 

image.jpg

0 Likes
Lazz21
Journeyman
Options
Just managed to solve this issue by changing the display mode. No idea why it worked, but it did. Randomly trying anything to see what might help, in the General Settings/ System Manger settings menu I changed the usage mode to Retail Mode. The dark strip all but disappeared which was great as it showed that it wasn't a hardware fault. However the advertising strip that keeps appearing is more annoying than the dark strip. Changed back to Home Mode and cycled through the display modes. Initially the dark stripe occurred on one or two of the modes but as I cycled through them, it disappeared. Since then I have noticed a very small area, bottom of the screen, slightly left of center that appears slightly "off". However this is barely noticeable, especially compared to the thick dark vertical band that was there before.
TV is UE55NU7100 model with software version T-KTM2LDEUC-1330.5
The dark stripe, same as OPs picture appeared 7-10 days ago

Edit 12/11/2022 The dark vertical band has not reappeared.

Update: The problem reoccurred. Fortunately it was under an extended warranty cover and got sorted. Essentially, they replaced the complete display panel. No additional cost and on checking the warranty payments, in total were a lot less than the repair charge would have been and much cheaper than a new TV.
I don't usually buy or recommend extended warranty cover, in this case I got it because it also covered accidental damage which was a risk with young children at the time. I got lucky and will think about it more in the future.
AllanD2
Apprentice
Options

Just back up on the problem. We are in UK and my 75" is 15 months old and the dark stripe is pretty bad. Samsung helpline take you to Picture testing eventually and then say TV needs a repair, but the problem is not known to them !!I have a company to contact re-repair but it's really pointless as the cost will be too high based on other blogs.They must know and should take responsibility for this fault, as it's a £900 TV and 15 months old. new set will not be Samsung for sure.

0 Likes
Jarhead7276
Explorer
Options

I have the same problem with my 65 inch Samsung, the dark band started on the right side about 4 inches wide, it has now moved to the middle of the screen and it is a good 18-24 inches wide now. My TV was just about 3 years old when the problem started. With what you pay for these QLED TV's you shouldn't have to deal with these problems and Samsung should man-up and stand behind their products.

It sounds like a panel problem but my concern is you replace the panel and the problem comes back (this has to be a defect in the design of the panel), unless Samsung has fixed the defect so they know it won't happen anymore.

My TV is a 2018 model, I am curious to see if anyone here has a 2021 model or newer with this problem.

0 Likes
Jarhead7276
Explorer
Options

I am having this same issue with my 2018 Samasung 65 inch qled tv. It started when the TV was just three years old. After looking on the internet you can see there are most likely thousands of Samsung TV's with this same issue.

Samsung is not a responsible company that takes ownership for quality defects in their products, so I've given up trying to get them to do the right thing which would be to fix these quality issues they have in their TV systems.

What I want to know is has anyone found a fix for this? What part(s) are typically needing replacement? I read somewhere it is the edge LED's?

Can't anyone from Samsung help us??? I spent a lot of money for this TV, I can't afford to replace it.

AllanD2
Apprentice
Options

Jared. Sorry to hear that. We gave up with Samsung, they just denied there was a known problem. Curry's came and delivered a new Hisense and took the expensive 75" away to dump it . It was lass than 2 yrs. Live and learn and we avoid the brand. ALLAN D

Niecy
Journeyman
Options

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing it truly sucks 🤬! I still have my brand new TV sitting in my closet in the box smh. I bet Samsung would do something if we got together and filed a class action lawsuit on their asses cause this is ridiculous 

0 Likes
AllanD2
Apprentice
Options

I sent them pics on request showing the band plus their test pages. It's really annoying on field games with agreen background. They said itwas new to them!!. Sad with such a major brand eh. Allan D

0 Likes
Jarhead7276
Explorer
Options

Well, I finally got a call from Samsung Extra Care, they asked me to email a picture of my serial number placard on the back of my TV. Then they wanted pictures of the screen. They saw and acknowledged the problem with the dark screen, but since I was out of warranty their "hands were tied and they could do nothing to help me" except they would set up an out of warranty service call for me. 

I declined the "generous" offer to set up a service call, that I would have to pay for to fix a QUALITY PROBLEM INHERENT IN THE QLED TV'S. Samsung doesn't care about their customers or about doing the morally right thing. 

Anyone up for a class action lawsuit???

Niecy
Journeyman
Options

Hell yea I said someone should get together and do one because this is ridiculous. I still have the tv sitting in my ***** closet in the original box and everything.

0 Likes